Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-06-2010, 06:39 PM   #1
gigismomma
Registered Users
seller

Advice needed from mamas who use a high efficiency TOP loader!

For all of you who have a high efficiency top loader washing machine, what is your wash routine? What detergent do you use? Do you have issues with the machine not adding enough water?

We have a GE profile top loader with digital programming. I know I can do a pre-soak and an extra rinse, but I am not sure if I can adjust the wash temp setting higher or not (time to get out the manual!)

I have my diaper stash ready to go and am planning my line of attack when it comes time to wash them......any advice or feedback would be appreciated!

ETA: Here is a picture of our washer (GE profile harmony)......I know the odds are slim, but if anyone has this particular washer, it would great to hear from you!

Advertisement

Last edited by gigismomma; 05-06-2010 at 06:42 PM.
gigismomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 06:47 PM   #2
iowarn
Registered Users

Re: Advice needed from mamas who use a high efficiency TOP loader!

I have a Whirlpool Cabrio HE top loader, and I use Tide Free and Clear. I usually run a rinse and spin cycle first without any detergent and then run the actual load on the "whitest white" cycle (hot wash, cold rinse) and select the heavy duty and extra rinse options. I use a little less than the first line on the measuring cap with a full diaper load (2 days' worth) and usually throw a little OxyClean into the machine as well. Around once a week I'll run an extra rinse and spin cycle after the wash cycle just to make sure there's no detergent build-up going on. So far I haven't had any problems with repelling or stinky diapers. I have a few diapers that have had slight staining, but in the cycle of wash and wear, most of the stains have somehow disappeared. ? This seems to be working well here! Good luck!
iowarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 07:02 PM   #3
gelfnrach
Registered Users
seller

I do. I do think that the lower water level definately effects my wash routine as this is a new washer (and house) than I have washed cloth in for the last 5 years. I think for us, the key is to do small loads. I have 2 in cloth and wash every night. Otherwise the loads are too big and they dont agitate enough and between that and lower amount of water means no cleaning power. I have been tempted to add a pot of water to increase the level in the wash cycle but I dont know what that would make the machine do so I havent done it.
My routine is wash nightly (15 diapers or so with covers and wetbag), prewash with 1/2 scoop planet powder and squirt of bac out. Then long heavy duty hot cycle with full scoop of planet powder and then extra cold rinse. Once in a while I add TTO to the wash cycle.
Old 05-06-2010, 07:04 PM   #4
rdossmann
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have a Maytag HE TL. I can set the temp control on mine. Here is my routine:

Put diapers in and run a quick cycle w/o detergent (cold wash and rinse)
Run a normal cycle with Rockin Green detergent (classic) with a hot wash and cold rinse...I have it programmed like this: hot wash, soak, cold rinse, extra rinse
Dryer or line dry (depending on the weather)

If I need more water I take a small bucket fill it with water and add it. That is the only way I can add more water...sometimes these more advanced machines are a pain in the tushie.
Old 05-06-2010, 07:07 PM   #5
ralesiah
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have a GE top loader, though I think it's one step down from yours. It works well, kept getting off balance and the repair technician told us to always set the wash load one size larger than you think it should be. Because it only fills to where it registers the clothes at and too little water throws it off balance. So for a med size load, what we normally have for diapers use the large load setting. Since doing this and making sure the load is pushed up against the walls we haven't had any problems.

For cleaning we use a free and clear detergent, usually All and only a couple of teaspoons worth. Then wash on warm with a cold rinse. Nothing extra because I'm not worried about stains, one we line dry about 8 months out of the year and two, stains do seem to come out in a wash or three. Something the old washer never did! I was having some stink issues and I feel it was because the detergent wasn't washing all the way out. So I've started adding a half cup or more of white vinegar to the wash. Just throw it in before starting the washer or you could add it to the rinse agent dispenser if you have one. Since doing this my dipes are softer and smell great!

We use all cotton flats and nylon and fleece pants for reference.

Last edited by ralesiah; 05-06-2010 at 07:08 PM.
ralesiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 07:55 PM   #6
becken
Registered Users

One thing you could try is to let washer fill then unplug it (which should reset it but not make it drain), and then start the wash again. If it has a weight sensor for the water level, the water that is already in there will throw off the sensor and you'll get more water added on top. That way you don't have to mess with buckets and whatnot.
Old 05-06-2010, 08:03 PM   #7
TaraB
Registered Users
seller
seller

I have a new TL GE washer too. I can set the water level or put it on auto sensor. I choose super but it still does not have tons of water. I have used Charlies and Thirsties wash. I run a cold very light cycle for a rinse then a heavy hot/cold wash with an extra rinse and extended spin. However, we recently have had build up issues causing leaks (of course he is leaking in sposies too). So I might not be the best example of a working routine.
Tara~Married to my wonderful DH and mama to my DS#1 4 years old and DS#2 2 years old
TaraB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 08:03 PM   #8
todzwife
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

I have a kenmore and here's ours:

Sheets/towels setting:
Heavy soiled
Hot/cold
Prewash/extra rinse
1/2 cap HE tide liquid

We've never had stink issues or rash.
todzwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 08:57 AM   #9
gigismomma
Registered Users
seller

Thanks for all the advice, ladies......I am feeling a little more comfortable now!
gigismomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 10:21 AM   #10
hekamc
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have the Cabrio and I do a quick wash on cold with nothing to rinse, then I do a rinse and spin on cold and i can set it to no spin which just drains the water out. This makes the diapers heavier and tricks the sensor. Then I do hard rock on the sheets and towel setting set to warm/warm. This usually does the trick. i can't even add water because my washer will just drain it. P

hekamc is offline   Reply With Quote