Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-11-2007, 12:19 PM   #1
Leininger27
Banned

My Mood:
Desperately need help!!! PLEASE!!!!

OK my ds is just about 9 months old and for the past few days BFing has been torture. I mean I literally dread nursing him!!!
I had a clogged duct earlier this week, which we were able to work out. Boy did that hurt. Right after that now both of my nipples scream with pain when I start nursing. After nursing for awhile the pain subsides until I quit and then they hurt really bad again! I don't know what it going on. He only nurses on one side at a time and even the side he isn't nursing on will hurt for the first 5 minutes or so and then again when he stops nursing.
I have never had pain like this before and I literally cry nursing him! I don't want to give up on nursing just yet, but I don't know how much longer I can tolerate the pain!!!

Advertisement

Leininger27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 12:32 PM   #2
Lmakes5
Registered Users
seller

Re: Desperately need help!!! PLEASE!!!!

It sounds a lot like thrush, but I'm not sure. Are your nips sore in between nursings? It is also possible that LO is cutting teeth and is nursing differently and causing nipple pain.
You might check LLL forums or MDC. They have tons of info for treatment if it is thrush and might have a different idea about what it going on.
Old 02-11-2007, 12:57 PM   #3
zacksmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Ditto the thrush. Have either of you taken antibiotics recently? If it's thrush, then you'll need to eliminate all sugar from your diet, start taking probiotics (you can give him some powdered directly too, just dip your finger in the powder and let him suck it off your finger), and lots of fresh garlic or a garlic supplement, and look into gentian violet. GL!

Oh, and you'll both need to be treated so that you don't pass it back and forth.
Old 02-11-2007, 01:38 PM   #4
Distinctive Decals
Registered Users
Formerly: shandyms
seller

My Mood:

Really does sound like thrush - very similar to the symptoms of thrush that I've been fighting off and on for the past 5 (yes 5!) months. I've been using GSE with pretty good results. If you haven't already, check out kellymom.com for a good resource for dealing with thrush and other concerns:

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/index.html
Old 02-11-2007, 01:42 PM   #5
Leininger27
Banned

My Mood:

Yes he has been on antibiotics now for about 3 months. I think that it is thrush, but I don't know for sure. It hurts in between feedings, but nothing compared to when he is nursing! When he is nursing I just cry.

I have some GV and we have both been doing it for about 3 days now. I don't see any difference in the pain.

He is also teething, but never bites and his latch is good. He cut his first couple weeks ago and I think is cutting a second bottom one. I looked at his latch already and we even tried different positions, but nothing seems to help. No matter what it hurts!
Old 02-11-2007, 01:56 PM   #6
mrsbehaven007
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I hope something gives soon !
mrsbehaven007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 02:29 PM   #7
ravenonyx
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Take acidophollus pills AND eat yogurt. The DanActive stuff is wonderful and has no HFCS but tastes yummy.

With the GV, are you using it full strength? When our thrush didn't want to give up I quit diluting it for 12 hours and it really cleared it up.

GSE is supposed to help but I don't know the usage/dosage.

You might need a (diflucan? ) internal scrip but I would make sure you're doing the yogurt/acidophollus with it.
Old 02-11-2007, 03:17 PM   #8
Leininger27
Banned

My Mood:

No I am not diluting the GV. I was told not to. I am trying Lotrimin now to see if that will provide any relief. I am hoping so!!! Where do I get acidophollus?
Old 02-11-2007, 03:32 PM   #9
elizablessed
Registered Users
seller

I agree with pp. You can get acidophilus at a health food store or anywhere that they sell supplements. You can apply a vinegar solution to your breast and let them air dry. You should iron your bras or boil them because the yeast get in there and water in the washer does not get hot enough to kill the spore. Does your kiddo have any white splotches on his tongue or in his mouth? You can apply the acidophilus directly to his tongue. And it really does help if you can eliminate all sugar from your diet (but that is really hard to do!). I would not take grapefruit seed extract internally, even though it is supposed to be natural there has been some question as to how it is processed and the chemicals used in that process. Best wishes....you can do this!!!

Here is a wikipedia article explaining the issues with GSE
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grapefruit_seed_extract#Scientific_research

so wabi sabithreading light

Last edited by elizablessed; 02-12-2007 at 05:52 AM. Reason: added a link
elizablessed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 04:43 PM   #10
tararaboomdeea
Banned
sitesupporter

You have gotten some awesome advice, so I'll just offer some
Hang in there-hopefully it will clear up soon!
tararaboomdeea is offline   Reply With Quote