Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-05-2010, 12:32 PM   #11
laceys
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Hospital births & cord clamping

OP don't feel badly for choosing a hospital birth. If there wasn't a birth center around me you bet I'd be in a hospital.
As for delayed cord clamping, I had never heard of it until my sister's last pregnancy. I wish I had. My sister asked the dr to delay and the dr agreed. I'm not sure if it was a common request though. I was at the birth and the dr let my sister hold baby but clamped anyway. I think she freaked out for some reason. There wasn't anything wrong with baby. So, my advice to you is to ask your dr if he/she has delayed clamping before. Try to find one that would be comfortable doing so. I think you stand a better chance at it actually happening that way.

Advertisement

Old 05-05-2010, 12:41 PM   #12
hadfield531
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali4niachef View Post
Have you choosen a CNM for your hospital birth? Do you have a doula?
No. There are only three in town. One of them was one of the ones involved in severe negligence during my entire pregnancy and delivery with my first. I wouldn't see her again if my life depended on it. The other 2 I didn't know much about, but they both just transferred into my OB's office anyway. And I am not letting them induce me this time, so I may end up with either one. No real point in switching to them when I will get whoever is on call, anyway. I don't have a doula, but I do have a friend who is one. I keep going back and forth debating if I want her in there or not. I want/NEED it as quiet and private as possible. And she's not super close with me. I'm just not sure how I feel about it yet. I kind of ran it by her at the beginning of the pregnancy, but still can't decide if I'm comfortable with it or not.

(I can't figure out how to multi-quote on here) Susykins, the experiences we've had with our maternity ward here have been horrible. I have been yelled at (for not pushing long enough, when I had already been pushing for 5 and a half hours), I was given pitocin through my IV without my knowledge (I had to have an IV because of severe dehydration), but only found out about it a day or two later when my feet were so swollen they started cracking and splitting. My PP nurse had to call the OB on call to figure out what in the world was happening. Found out they gave me pitocin AFTER I had the baby. Pretty sure I ripped them up one side and down the other for that. We made it VERY CLEAR that there would be NO PITOCIN. They strapped me to the bed the entire labor because of how high my blood pressure was, and wouldn't even let me be monitored from 8 feet away in the bathtub. With all of my three they would not allow bathtub labors. Always had some excuse for why I had to be in the bed. After having my babies, I felt like I had to keep fighting to get the nurses to bring them back over to me while I was being stitched up. There's no reason why they can't examine the baby on my chest. They don't need to be across the room. And now that I learned about vaccines, and had a friend's baby that was vaccinated after being told NOT to vaccinate, I fear that THAT will be disrespected as well. The whole thing stresses me out right now. I feel like I can trust no one. But a home birth isn't an option, and there are no birthing centers, and there are only 2 OB offices in town, and I am NOT going to the other one that almost killed my baby and me. I want to print up a sheet or two to place on the computer cart, and above my head, and above the baby scale stating what we are expecting (I.e. 1. NO episiotomy, 2. DADDY announces gender, NOT STAFF, 3. DELAYED CORD CLAMPING....). I hate that I have learned that they can't be trusted. Apparently there are 2 or 3 new "Natural birthing rooms" on the unit since I had my last baby. I am PRAYING that this is true, and that they are available when I go into labor. There's supposed to even be a jet tub in there. I hope this means they have educated themselves a little more on the benefits of NATURAL childbirth and are saving their interventions for only when actually necessary. I don't really know anyone that's had babies in those rooms since I had my last, so I hope the rumors are true. Less than 5 months and I guess we'll find out... :/
Old 05-05-2010, 12:50 PM   #13
kryssie
Registered Users
seller

I told one of my doctor's that I wanted delayed cord clamping and he said that it would conflict with my wish to have baby placed directly on my chest after delivery because the blood wouldn't be able to adequately flow to the baby and would actually drain back in to the placenta causing blood loss for the baby... Apparently if I want to delay clamp, baby has to be placed no higher than my stomach to prevent blood loss... This doesnt make sense to me though. There are many moms on here that have both those wishes on their birth plan simutaneously. It also doesnt make sense that if I wanted to delay cord clamping untill the placenta was delivered naturally (which is kind of what I am wanting), that baby would have to wait on my stomach that long...

Btw, does anyone know, are you able to nurse while the cord is still intact (is it long enough - does it get in the way), Because I could not imagine not nursing my baby for the time it takes to deliver the placenta naturally
Old 05-05-2010, 02:32 PM   #14
hadfield531
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kryssie View Post
I told one of my doctor's that I wanted delayed cord clamping and he said that it would conflict with my wish to have baby placed directly on my chest after delivery because the blood wouldn't be able to adequately flow to the baby and would actually drain back in to the placenta causing blood loss for the baby... Apparently if I want to delay clamp, baby has to be placed no higher than my stomach to prevent blood loss... This doesnt make sense to me though. There are many moms on here that have both those wishes on their birth plan simutaneously. It also doesnt make sense that if I wanted to delay cord clamping untill the placenta was delivered naturally (which is kind of what I am wanting), that baby would have to wait on my stomach that long...

Btw, does anyone know, are you able to nurse while the cord is still intact (is it long enough - does it get in the way), Because I could not imagine not nursing my baby for the time it takes to deliver the placenta naturally
Hmmm...I hope that's not the case. I am really nervous about telling my OB next week that this is the route we intend to take this time (it's a 180 degree turn from what we have done in the past). As for the nursing, I think it depends on how long your cord is (Different pregnancies= different cord lengths). I would think that sitting upright would bring you closer though and give you more slack in the cord.
Old 05-05-2010, 08:03 PM   #15
venia
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:

I asked my MW about this last appointment and she said it was fine as long as the cord is long enough and its still pulsing. Although she did say that she did NOT recommend pushing and delivering flat on my back anyway. So after delivery she will help me lay down, place the baby on my stomach, let him breast-crawl then have me lay partially on my side to nurse and to make the placenta delivery easier when its time.
Old 05-05-2010, 08:18 PM   #16
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hadfield531 View Post
Wow. I am so upset no one ever mentioned this. I wish so badly I could birth at home or a birthing center (we don't have any here--I hate this town!). Nothing stresses me out more than the fear of the typical disrespect by the hospital staff when it comes to the birth of this baby. It's my last (my body can't make it through another one ) and I NEED it down RIGHT this time.

Load me up with anymore info you have, please! I want it ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I had noproblem getting the ob to delay clamping the cord- although my husband did have to remind him. i would make sure that there is someone else there who knows what your wishes are and can keep an eye out for you. We also declined all routine newborn procedures- shots, eye goop, etc.
Old 05-05-2010, 08:36 PM   #17
horsewildfire
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

this is insanly awsome info. They have always clamped and cut the cord before I blinked an eye. THEN the last baby I delivered the doctor was PULLING on the bit of cord that was left to deliver the placenta. It was not with little force either he was pulling good are you suposto do this?
horsewildfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 09:00 PM   #18
cali4niachef
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsewildfire View Post
this is insanly awsome info. They have always clamped and cut the cord before I blinked an eye. THEN the last baby I delivered the doctor was PULLING on the bit of cord that was left to deliver the placenta. It was not with little force either he was pulling good are you suposto do this?
No, no and NO! That is called cord traction. Usually in normal births where there is no pitocin your own oxytocin will do just fine. The placenta normally comes out in 15mins but could take up to an hour. In the hospital they usually rush the 3rd stage to 5mins. Doing cord traction could cause retained placenta and hemmhorage.
EUPHORICBIRTH.COM
cali4niachef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 01:45 PM   #19
TiffanyAnn
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:

That is very strange, I've never heard anything like that. My DD was born at a birth center and placed directly on my chest and we let the cord finish pulsing, I saw it with my own eyes. Very strange the doctor would say this.

My cord was plenty long enough to nurse with it intact (I didn't, though), I remember the midwife commenting on how long it was. I've also read birth stories where the cord was too short to keep the baby on the mother's chest without pulling on the baby.

Someone else mentioned earlier in this thread (sorry, I'm still figuring out how to quote more than one person, or just segments) that the cord should not be clamped until the placenta is delivered (the person who was talking about oxytocin). I'm curious why that is exactly? I have never heard the importance of waiting to clamp the cord until after delivery of placenta, only the importance of letting the cord finish pulsing before clamping. Does it matter as long as the cord has finished pulsing and all the blood has gone to the baby?

As for the woman who posted this thread, I am so sorry you've had to deal with doctors and nurses who are so deceitful. I would stress, like someone else said to have someone there to make sure everyone is aware of what your wishes are and try to share your birth plan and stress the importance of those wishes with your doctor ahead of time. I do hope the staff is great this time around and the rumors are true about the new birthing rooms!

Tiffany
TiffanyAnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 02:07 PM   #20
tbowers8403
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I am very for delayed cord clamping. I read about it and I went from wanting to bank the blood to delay the cord clamping. I told my doctor what I wanted and will he do what I ask of him and he said "if that is what the mother wishes, I will do what she asks, just stay on the moniter as much as possible" I think i can definatly comprimise with that. I am going to delay cord clamp and my doctor stated I could cord blood bank because there should be enough blood still in the placenta. So I am doing what I believe is best for my baby at birth and after birth. Who is giving you crap about having a hospital birth? Nothing is wrong with it and even though I think birthing centers and home births are wonderful for those who choose it - at least your in an enviroment where if something goes wrong it can be tended to immediatly.