Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-06-2010, 08:06 AM   #1
MrsLemon13
Registered Users

My Mood:
WTH is wrong with my pocket diapers?

Ugh!

I steered clear of pockets initially because of repelling and microfiber stink issues I read about here and on Diaperswappers. But the little super soaker really needs a double stuffed BG or Rumparooz to make it longer than 3 hours at night without being completely soaking wet.

SO I have about 5 BG's and 2 Rumparooz that I double stuff at night. Last night I stuffed a BG with 1 hemp insert on the bottom and the microfiber insert on the top. He was in it from 2:30am-7:00am.

When he woke up his entire back/swaddle blanket/pajamas were completely soaked. When I pulled the inserts out the microfiber was a bit damp but not dripping, and the hemp wasnt even that wet at all. What the HECK is going on? His boy bits were pointed down if that matters.

This is also not the first time something like this has happened. I cant figure it out.I stripped with RLR just last week. I wash cold rinse/hot wash w/ cold rinse w/ Calgon and Rockin Green.

Help?

Advertisement

MrsLemon13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 08:14 AM   #2
magooken
Registered Users
seller

Re: WTH is wrong with my pocket diapers?

did you get them new or used? the fleece/suedecloth may be repelling. or the microfiber? i'd do an experiment with some water.
Old 05-06-2010, 08:22 AM   #3
Colleeny
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Are the diapers on him tight enough? You may think they are, but once he is laying a certain way, they be gapping somewhere. Especially when stuffed really full, it can pull away from legs, or tummy areas, if the diaper can not accomodate so much.

I would try tightening the diaper a bit, if possible, and stuffing more to the front of his boy parts. Fold the inserts down so that you get double absorbancy in front, and less in the back.

Also, you may have a super flooder child, that is peeing with force unknown to mankind. If this is the case, you need to contain it with the fastest soaking materials you can get. I would use 2 micro inserts, and a hemp booster. That way you have more fast absorbing fibers, instead of slow absorbing fibers. Hemp is a SLOW absorbing fiber. Cotton is a little quicker, and microfiber is super fast to absorb. Your micros maybe shot as well. Sometimes they wear out and don't soak much anymore.

You could go to your local walmart or Target and get the microfiber towels in the car detailing section. Then you can double them up and wrap them around a hemp booster, cotton prefold!
Old 05-06-2010, 08:41 AM   #4
MrsLemon13
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colleeny View Post
Are the diapers on him tight enough? You may think they are, but once he is laying a certain way, they be gapping somewhere. Especially when stuffed really full, it can pull away from legs, or tummy areas, if the diaper can not accomodate so much.

I would try tightening the diaper a bit, if possible, and stuffing more to the front of his boy parts. Fold the inserts down so that you get double absorbancy in front, and less in the back.

Also, you may have a super flooder child, that is peeing with force unknown to mankind. If this is the case, you need to contain it with the fastest soaking materials you can get. I would use 2 micro inserts, and a hemp booster. That way you have more fast absorbing fibers, instead of slow absorbing fibers. Hemp is a SLOW absorbing fiber. Cotton is a little quicker, and microfiber is super fast to absorb. Your micros maybe shot as well. Sometimes they wear out and don't soak much anymore.

You could go to your local walmart or Target and get the microfiber towels in the car detailing section. Then you can double them up and wrap them around a hemp booster, cotton prefold!
Thanks for the suggestions. Last night when this happened I was using the microfiber insert, and a trifold hemp insert (three layers of hemp fleece). And it kinda failed. I dont know if its repelling. It must be. Because yesterday DH put a BG on him and not 15 minutes later got peed all over when it came out of his legs. I have had this happen frequently too where it comes out his side, or legs, or back. Thats why I stripped with RLR last week. And I swear I use these diapers daily, and sometimes they work and sometimes they dont. I am positive I have used the diaper I used last night in the past two days without problem. SO maybe its the inserts. I use different inserts w/ different diapers when I restuff them. So I may just take ALL of my inserts and diapers and strip them today. Ugh. I have only been using them for 6 weeks!!
Old 05-06-2010, 08:49 AM   #5
cd18
Registered Users

What is RLR?
cd18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 08:58 AM   #6
magooken
Registered Users
seller

are you using a wipes solution or anything? i had something weird happen once with either the oil in my wipes solution or the oils from a new hemp diaper . anyway, the fleece/suedecloth started to repel.
Old 05-06-2010, 09:00 AM   #7
MrsLemon13
Registered Users

My Mood:

Nope no wipe solution, just water. The hemp was fully prepped before I bought it so I dont think any oils. I am just really thinking either
a) I am not getting the fit right
or
b) the mf is repelling. So I am going to try another RLR strip today.
Old 05-06-2010, 09:16 AM   #8
mommy2l
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I would try a dawn strip if possible. I like RLR too but dawn seems to work better for us when we strip.
Old 05-06-2010, 09:38 AM   #9
crunchymom2b
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

take your mf inserts and run them under some water in the sink. See if they repel. Quick way to tell if it's the inserts or something else. But stripping can't hurt either!

Alycia + Tom = 2 Labor Day babies! Tommy (9/09) + Vinny (9/12)
Under construction: unexpectedly expecting in 2015!
crunchymom2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 10:16 AM   #10
kookabearkids
Do not B/S/T with! See siggy!

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchymom2b View Post
take your mf inserts and run them under some water in the sink. See if they repel. Quick way to tell if it's the inserts or something else. But stripping can't hurt either!

I agre with her... the water test is the easiest way to tell if you are dealing with repelling..

I also second the dawn strip if you are