Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-29-2010, 04:26 PM   #1
kutie.pie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
What are the signs of a baby who's weaning?

My son is 11 1/2 months old and he's been doing great, the last couple days. He nurses 3 times a day with the morning and evening ones being the important ones. Today he only ate on one side (he's ALWAYS nursed on both sides since birth) for the middle feeding and then this evening he didn't want to at all. He acted like he was going to, then laughed and turned his head away (he was being playful). So, now I'm wondering if he's possibly starting to wean, but I don't really know what the signs are, if there are any. Do babies give signs when they're weaning themselves? I don't know if maybe this is just another "phase" and he's not weaning himself, it's hard to tell. Thanks for any help, suggestions, or advice!

Advertisement

Old 07-29-2010, 05:05 PM   #2
CEVmommy
Registered Users
seller

Re: What are the signs of a baby who's weaning?

Babies around that age will often show decreased interest in nursing and then will pick it up again after a little bit. Many mothers find this to be a good opportunity to wean if that is your goal. If your goal is to continue nursing, just continue offering regularly. Is baby getting other milk, such as in a cup, at other times of the day? Baby still needs a good bit of milk at that age, even if not nursing. I think that a baby that age is too young to truly "self-wean" because he still requires milk, although you will certainly find a lot of people who choose to interpret it that way anyway.
Old 07-29-2010, 06:05 PM   #3
kutie.pie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Thanks for the reply. I haven't started milk yet, I'm waiting till he's a year old. And I wasn't planning to stop weaning until after 15-18 months, I'll see what happens when I get there. I do offer water and some juice, but I think it will be nice to start giving him milk.
Old 08-04-2010, 07:41 AM   #4
BeastMasterMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

When my son was about that age, he was so busy and into everything that he did the same thing, and was nursing less during the day. (unfortunately, he sometimes made up for it at night!!) But he did keep nursing. I would just see what happens. He's probably not done nursing, just easily distracted!

***4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32**36***40
BeastMasterMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 07:58 AM   #5
mommytoallgirls
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My DD weaned herself at 18 months. She was down to just a night time feeding and one night unlatched and said "no more Mommy". The next night she barely nursed and then did the same thing. So on the third night I gave it a try again...I was NOT ready to give it up She did the exact same thing and also pinched me and said "boobie" So I guessed she was ready to wean. On the fourth night we just read a book and cuddled instead of nursing. She went to sleep as usual. I had it easy and maybe your son is ready too. But I sure would keep trying!! lol. It's kind of sad to stop Bfing.
mommytoallgirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 12:59 AM   #6
uoducks
Registered Users

if they are not nursing very much, they are probably weaning. Both my girls started around 9-10mths. I would just go with it.. and make sure you start with cow's milk if he's not nursing much.

my 3yr old started weaning around the time she started walking, 10mths...she was more interested in the world, then sitting at a boob. Also, I think when solids are introduced, this slows down the nursing I found.

good luck!

Wife to Dave, proud SAHM to our daughters Reagan, born April 3, 2007 and Karly, born 1/24/09
uoducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 06:54 AM   #7
Ready2Bmommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

OP- I was getting on the weaning forum with the same question. My LO will turn one on Tuesday, and this is where we are as well. I WOH, so I am pumping which is keeping up my supply. I am SO tired of pumping and he's SO not interested in nursing, but I really wanted to nurse until 18 months. Glad to see your post. I'll try not to hijack, but I'll keep popping in and seeing what advice you get. GL!
Hadley, proud to be a wife to Wes (5/26/07), Catholic, natural birthing, BFing, Bedsharing, BWing, ERFing, WOHM, Master's student graduate, and mama to my loves, Emmitt(8/17/09) & Ellen Kate (9/22/11)
Adding a new little snow baby to our family Jan 2015
Help me earn more space on Dropbox!!
Ready2Bmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 07:17 AM   #8
Willows
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

It is not really self weaning when I baby shows less interest under 18 months of age. It really depends on what your desires are as a mom.

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/weaning/babyselfwean.html
Old 08-12-2010, 08:01 AM   #9
sh0rtchica
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

around that age, babies can have pretty wild swings of showing NO interest, to being attached like newborns again! if you don't want to wean yet, don't worry about it and continue to offer. we went through that stage and are still going strong at 17 months!
sh0rtchica is offline   Reply With Quote