Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-10-2010, 07:37 AM   #1
Mommyplunder
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
snapdragon soaker

I need help with the snapdragon soaker, I'm still a novice knitter and I'm so lost on this pattern. This is the second time that I've tried this pattern and just can't understand it, I'm fine until you have to start binding off and it doesn't even look like a soaker. Can someone help me with step by step instructions? And pics or a vid would be awesome if available.

I'd really like to get my LO a few soakers knitted up before it gets hot. TIA!

Advertisement

I am now blessed to be a SAHM to my 3 LOs R (1/1/99), E (4/7/02) and L (4/8/09) and very lucky to be with the love of my life where not only is he the father to my children but my best friend and hero. I follow a celtic pagan tradition and I'm becoming crunchier by the day. I enjoy knitting, sewing and making things with my hands.
Mommyplunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 09:06 AM   #2
Mommyplunder
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: snapdragon soaker

Anyone out there that can help?
I am now blessed to be a SAHM to my 3 LOs R (1/1/99), E (4/7/02) and L (4/8/09) and very lucky to be with the love of my life where not only is he the father to my children but my best friend and hero. I follow a celtic pagan tradition and I'm becoming crunchier by the day. I enjoy knitting, sewing and making things with my hands.
Old 05-12-2010, 09:47 AM   #3
Lyttlewon
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I haven't made that pattern. Are you binding off for the leg holes? The halves of the flaps are constructed separately so it isn't going to look like a soaker for awhile. Once you work on the flaps it will create more of an underwear shape.
Old 05-12-2010, 09:52 AM   #4
JessieV
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I've never knit that soaker but I'm doing the curly purly right now and I can't imagine they're much different. It won't look like a soaker until you knit the front and back "flaps" separately and then graft them together at the crotch. So you bind off to # of stitches is says, then knit the # of in the pattern knitting one row, turning and purling the next row. When the appropriate number of stitches are left of the needles in that section, cut the yarn and move on to the front flap and start knitting the # of stitches the pattern says, knitting one row, purling the next until it's the length you need for it to be. Clear as mud?

My knit gallery My Ravelry
JessieV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 10:04 AM   #5
yomama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I just cast one on myself last night. I am not quite at the leg wholes yet but will be there later on tonight (don't have time to knit during the day ) and could try to be of help. But as pp said, it won;t look like a soaker right away. It should go somewhat like that: bind off some stitches for one leg hole, knit one flap all the way in back and forth manner until done, then start a new thread by binding off the second leg hole, then knit the second flap all the way in back and forth manner until you have the desired rise length. Then the grafting... (will need help with that, that's for sure!)! Once grafted, you can pick up stitches around the leg holes to give them a nice edging...

Hope that helps!

Not to hijack your thread but just a question on the same pattern: do all of you always switch needle size for the ribbing? I didn't have the smaller one in 16", so I didn't bother (next yarn store is 15km away). Will it be ok?
yomama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 10:12 AM   #6
JessieV
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I always switch needle size for ribbing but I'm sure it'll be fine. I might would do a tight ribbing like K1 P1 instead of K2 P2 though to make up for it.

Here's a great grafting tutorial if you need one:
http://knitty.com/ISSUEsummer04/FEATtheresasum04.html

Old 05-12-2010, 10:14 AM   #7
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

I've made a bunch, if you could tell me what you feel is going wrong maybe I could help? Basically, you start with the waist band, knit in the round for a while, then stop and make the back "flap" of the soaker by working back and forth just on that side and clip your yarn, leaving a length of yarn to graft with. You pick the yarn back up by joining it on the other side and do the front flap in the same manner. When you finish, cut the yarn off and then use the saved yarn from your back flap to graft (weave) a false row of stitches to join the two sides together at the middle. What you should have is basically two sections that look like a pair of underwear after you graft them together. Then when that's done you can choose to add a cuff onto the leg openings. LMK if I might be able to help, I don't think I have any pics of wip but I'll try!

ETA: yomama, you don't have to, you just won't have as obvious a curve from the waistband to hip area. Do you have double pointed needles you could use? I prefer them for ribbing and small diameters.

Last edited by 3lilbubs; 05-12-2010 at 10:17 AM.
3lilbubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 10:22 AM   #8
Mommyplunder
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It's hard to expalin what it looks like and I'll try to take some pics later once the LO is down for a nap. I think I misunderstood the pattern when it comes to the flap part, I'm suppose to actually bind off and cut? I binded off then contiued to knit one way and purl back, I'm so lost.
Old 05-12-2010, 10:30 AM   #9
JessieV
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommyplunder View Post
It's hard to expalin what it looks like and I'll try to take some pics later once the LO is down for a nap. I think I misunderstood the pattern when it comes to the flap part, I'm suppose to actually bind off and cut? I binded off then contiued to knit one way and purl back, I'm so lost.
No you don't cut the yarn until you've finished knitting the first flap. After you knit the first flap you cut and then move onto the other flap. It sounds like you're doing it right to me.

Old 05-12-2010, 10:35 AM   #10
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

No, you're right! Bind off and then begin working back and forth on the recommended amount of stitches for your size.

You're making one side, the back side of the soaker. When you've decreased evenly down to the correct amount of stitches by working back and forth, pay attention to which side of the work you should end with. You should finish on the opposite side that you did the bind off on. Then measure out your yarn length, cut, and pick the yarn back up in the next stitch. On this new side, what will be the opposite leg hole, you will re introduce your yarn and bind off into the next flap, your front flap of the soaker. The bind off has to do with shaping the leg hole. Does that make sense? It's hard to trust the pattern when you're not sure what you're working toward but I swear it works, just go with it.
3lilbubs is offline   Reply With Quote