Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-11-2010, 12:15 PM   #1
whitneywalters
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Ear infection issues

We are dealing with ear infection issues with our youngest. I am looking for advice. She is on her third ear infection in five weeks. They have tried two oral meds and one drop. She is breastfed, vaccine free and no one smokes around her. It looks like we are headed towards tubes but I want to know all my options.

Advertisement

Last edited by whitneywalters; 05-11-2010 at 12:24 PM.
whitneywalters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 12:19 PM   #2
JustAugust
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Ear infection issues

Poor thing. Our son had horrible ear infections... one lasted an entire month, through THREE antibiotics! It was terrible. I have to admit, tubes are SO much better. No antibiotics, very little long term risk associated with the tubes. And here, our doctor doesn't make us put them under for tubes! It's pretty rough, but it's over in 5 minutes. They take the baby, put them on a papoose board, stick in some numbing drops (they say these sting for 2-3 seconds before the numbing takes effect), pop in the tubes, and then the baby is back in your arms! We've always been home within 40 mins! We do Motrin before, and as soon as my little guy is back with me, he calms down and we go home, take a nap together, and when he wakes up, he's good as new, plus no ear infections for quite a while! Plus, if he does get an ear infection when the tubes are in, you can do antibiotic drops vs. an oral antibiotic! Which is wonderful!

Hopefully he ear infections just stop and you don't have to deal with any of it, but I recommend tubes 100% if she continues! It's so nice when your baby doesn't have to hurt all the time with ear infections!
Old 05-11-2010, 12:21 PM   #3
blackbirdmama*3
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Mama I know what you are going through! My dd had 10 since October 28th and just got tubes April 28th. You can google "fluid in ears" and it will give you some ways to help the fluid drain such as massaging around the ear. As far as the tubes I would recommend them if she really needs them. My dd was a different child by that afternoon. Her hearing and speech was affected and I can already tell a huge difference in how she tries to pronounce words. HTH!
Old 05-11-2010, 12:45 PM   #4
mom2ls
Registered Users
seller

Tubes were the best thing I did for my now 3 y/o. He 1st had them when he just turned 1 and then again when he turned 2 as they had fallen out. He had some hearing loss for this but especially since the 2nd procedure, there has been a great improvement in his language since then. Now, we are actally taking my 7 m/o in next week for tubes as well...they are much better than fighting infection constantly!
Old 05-11-2010, 01:12 PM   #5
ChicanaCoqueta
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I'm sorry

Have you tried (for her) a chiropractor? http://icpa4kids.org/Find-a-Chiropractor/
GL
Old 05-11-2010, 01:41 PM   #6
whitneywalters
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicanaCoqueta View Post
I'm sorry

Have you tried (for her) a chiropractor? http://icpa4kids.org/Find-a-Chiropractor/
GL
It is something I am looking into. Has anyone else done this?
Old 05-11-2010, 02:07 PM   #7
JustAugust
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We have an amazing Chiropractor, but it did nothing at all for my son's ears. We still go all the time (we all love him), and it definitely helps with other things, but no ear help for us.
Old 05-11-2010, 03:05 PM   #8
yytx
Registered Users

we struggled with ear infections for a lonngggg time with my DS - our ENT is a good friend of ours and didn't want to perform surgery on my DS at such a young age... his suggestion was that we prop my DS up at 45 degree angle after feeding and for sleeping. basically we used 2 of the wedge pillows they sell at BRUs for babies to get this angle - it made all the difference for us. he told us that in his experience the majority of ear infections are related to silent reflux and the propping keeps fluid out of the ear. we went from having ear infections one after another to virtually none (knock on wood... we haven't had any to deal with since we did this!) now at 2 he has been infection free for about 9 months!! amazing considering he had more than 4 in the first 14 months!
yytx is offline   Reply With Quote