Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-10-2010, 03:30 PM   #11
jenn5388
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: S/O When did you switch your LO(s) from crib to toddler bed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaktee View Post
When I became a mommy I was not *that* nervous about a little baby b/c I have been a babysitter for quite a few people...but it was always little babies. I am VERY nervous about being a mommy to a toddler/big kid/teenager and I know DS is only 9mths, but I worry about the future all.the.time. The last 9mths have totally flown by and I know that there are things in the future that I will need to switch around and change. One is the switch from crib to toddler bed...when did you do it? Did your LO have good or bad reactions to the change? How did you know it was time?
Miranda was 15 months old, and it's when we got up in the morning to find her at her bedroom door.

I don't change them out of the crib until they climb out of the crib. Jake is 16 months old and he hasn't done it yet.

Advertisement

jenn5388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 03:33 PM   #12
NorahsMom
Registered Users
seller

We switched when dd started climbing out of the crib, which was right before her second birthday. Believe me, life would have been a lot easier if she had waited a little longer. Transitioning out of the crib was the toughest sleep period we have had so far.
Old 05-10-2010, 03:36 PM   #13
mamaktee
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks everyone! DS doesn't (that I know of) try to climb out *yet* but the other day I had his felt bucket in the livingroom where he plays and it was in front of the couch upside down. He was able to get himself up on top of the bucket and had one knee on the couch working on the other knee when I caught him. Soo it may not be very long til he starts climbing the crib. I like the idea of starting with just a mattress on the floor BUT I live in SC and we have a TON of palmetto bugs that come in our crappy house without insulation and they freak me out...so I will need to keep him off the floor unless supervised lol.
mamaktee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 04:01 PM   #14
smashncakes
Registered Users
Formerly: bren***this
seller
seller

My Mood:

Both of mine went into toddler beds at around a year old...we co-sleep for the most part and they HATED the crib but would easily go to the toddler bed because it more resembled our bed in not having bars all around them. They both would try to climb out of the crib when we put them in there and it just was just too dangerous for them to be doing that. We actually only went to toddler beds because the cribs we had converted to toddler beds, then daybeds, then full-size headboards...both cribs were part of the recent recalls though and now each child has a twin size bed. Neither child has ever fallen out of their own bed, but we do have some issues keeping them IN bed...we're not fans of the whole baby-gating or locking our kids into their room thing though and if they get out of bed, they just come into our room and climb into bed with us.
Old 05-10-2010, 05:41 PM   #15
my2sweets
Registered Users

My Mood:

DD1 climbed out of her crib at 17mos. That night we put her matteress on the floor. At 21mos she got a twin bed. She did wonderful until she turned 2. That's when all the getting out, screaming, crying, craziness started.

DD2 had never tried to climb out of her crib. It was recalled when she was 29mos(dec 09). She moved to the packnplay for about 1.5mos. She was just to long for it or she would still be in it. She started waking up during the night so we put a full size mattress on her floor. She'll be 3 next month and she's only gotten out of bed twice. I just give her an extra hug and kiss, cover her back up, and that's it. Dont hear another peep from her til morning.

Swagbucks. Search. Earn. Redeem. Yep, it's that simple (I've earned $70 in gift cards and counting!).
my2sweets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 06:03 PM   #16
jennym91005
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

lol, my son is 3.5 yrs old and still in a crib. he is very comfy and the side rail is down and could climb out if he wants, but he doesnt. we are gonna go into his big boy bed this summer when i am on mat.leave from work.
Old 05-10-2010, 07:14 PM   #17
wlw1220
Registered Users

My Mood:

We switched right after his first birthday. He was ready though. He was almost trying to crawl out of it. Every baby's different so go with your gut. You'll know when your kids ready.
wlw1220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 08:56 PM   #18
zandj
Registered Users
seller
seller

never! I like my sleep too much
Old 05-10-2010, 09:05 PM   #19
VeganCupcake
Registered Users
seller
seller

We switched ours when DD was 7 or 8 months old--but it's sidecarred to a very low bed that I usually sleep on with her.
Old 05-11-2010, 06:15 AM   #20
laur318
Registered Users
seller

great thread...now that i read your responses i'm going w/ my gut and switching my LO. i caught him attempting to climb out and he never went to sleep in his crib happily. we have a biggg routine with rocking.
i like the mattress on the floor! he loves to nap w/ me on the floor.
Motherhood is the most important profession in the world.
laur318 is offline   Reply With Quote