Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-10-2010, 02:51 PM   #1
browneyeNYmomma
Registered Users
seller

Skipping ultrasound?

I'm all about skipping unnecessary medical procedures, so is this one really necessary? We want the gender to be a surprise this time around, so we don't need it for that. I do understand that if there is reason to question that something may be wrong then it would be good to have an ultrasound done. But as long as the pregnancy is going smoothly, will a dr. let you skip this?

Advertisement

browneyeNYmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 03:01 PM   #2
hbee
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Skipping ultrasound?

Friends of mine have three kids, they've never had an ultrasound. They had hospital births too.
hbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 03:44 PM   #3
jac1976
Registered Users
seller

How would you feel if something was wrong with the baby and you didn't know about it until birth which possibly resulted in the baby's death? (that is not meant to be snarky, just a question to ask yourself)

My SIL's 1st pregnancy was going very smoothly, hardly any morning sickness, and she was feeling great. At her 20 week ultrasound they discovered that the baby had a major heart defect and would need special medicine and surgery shortly after birth. She had to give birth in a hospital with a special neonatal cardiology unit. Almost 3 years later and my nephew is fine, but if they hadn't discovered it in utero and delivered at a top notch hospital, the likelihood that he would have made it would have been small.

Last edited by jac1976; 05-10-2010 at 03:52 PM.
jac1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 03:46 PM   #4
tygr2410
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I'd get one, just ask that the screen be turned away from you and tell them a few times you do not want to know the gender.

That said, you can decline anything you want in your health care.
Old 05-10-2010, 03:58 PM   #5
jennym91005
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i agree with skipping as much unneccessary stuff, but U/S i wouldnt skip. I have had 10 or 11 so far this preg, and where as i think that is WAAAAY too many, i look forward to seeing the baby each time. I am diabetic so they do growth scans all the time, and i really think it is rediculous to have that many, but i do like em so i go. if youre having a normal preg, i think skipping is ok, but i do think that everyone should go to at least the 20 wks U/S.
Old 05-10-2010, 04:29 PM   #6
s2grace
Registered Users
seller

I agree with going just to make sure that everything is ok with the baby. There are things they could find and then remedy with surgery/medicine etc. You can certainly tell them you don't want to find out the sex of the baby. that's what we did.
s2grace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 04:30 PM   #7
dragondance
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

If you don't have any indications of problems, no, it's not necessary. My midwife doesn't require it unless there are specific problems, like unexplained bleeding or heartbeat issues. I chose to get one anyway but I was debating it for the first four months.
Think you've got the LOWEST rate on your phone/Internet/TV/security? PM me & I will find you at least one lower rate (for FREE) or I'll PP you $5!! Discounts on gas & electric coming soon! I cut my own bills almost in half!

Last edited by dragondance; 05-10-2010 at 04:31 PM.
dragondance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 05:04 PM   #8
bluedaisyma
Registered Users
seller

I forget what medical association it is in the US- OB/GYN something (like the AAP for women, lol), but they don't recommend it for normal, healthy pregnancies. They do NOT think it should be routine, but so many moms want it, that docs will put on the paperwork, "check growth for dates" or something like that. (I just read that it wasn't something that should be routinely recommended by that OB association in the book "Pushed"). I wouldn't do it myself. Women have babies all the time without them and I don't even like that there is a "theoretical risk", so I don't get them in general. U/S aren't fool proof, there is a lot they are wrong on and a lot they don't catch as well. Women all over the world have babies without the use of U/S and lots of us and our siblings were born without our moms ever getting one.

Oh and as far as your doc....as I said before, they aren't supposed to recommend them unless they think something is wrong. That doesn't mean most docs don't anyway, but that's not what their assoc says to do. Your doc should have NO problem with you saying, "no thank you" and if he does, too bad. You can decline ANY test for ANY reason

Last edited by bluedaisyma; 05-10-2010 at 05:06 PM.
bluedaisyma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 05:30 PM   #9
sbdf13
Registered Users
seller

We had one U/S throughout our pregnancy to find out gender and make sure all was well' we had them write down the gender and place it in an envelope and we opened it on Christmas day. I think it is a good idea to have at least one just to make sure kinda thing. We had a beautiful home birth and had very few tests other than the U/S.
sbdf13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 06:27 PM   #10
mommyshanti
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jac1976;1021778[B
2]How would you feel if something was wrong with the baby and you didn't know about it until birth which possibly resulted in the baby's death? (that is not meant to be snarky, just a question to ask yourself)[/B]

My SIL's 1st pregnancy was going very smoothly, hardly any morning sickness, and she was feeling great. At her 20 week ultrasound they discovered that the baby had a major heart defect and would need special medicine and surgery shortly after birth. She had to give birth in a hospital with a special neonatal cardiology unit. Almost 3 years later and my nephew is fine, but if they hadn't discovered it in utero and delivered at a top notch hospital, the likelihood that he would have made it would have been small.
u can also get all the test done and still have something be wrong with your child
or u can get the test have them tell you x,y are wrong lead to more tests only to find out babe is perfect

yes you can skip "routine" ultrasounds

oh i did decline it was a midwife/ob practice
she had a big attitude(ob)about it and charterd everything i said
switched to hb midwife fast

Last edited by mommyshanti; 05-10-2010 at 06:29 PM.
mommyshanti is offline   Reply With Quote