Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-10-2010, 06:32 PM   #11
Celeste
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Skipping ultrasound?

I am skipping my 12 week one, but not the 20. My OB is fine with that - we have a $10,000 deductible (no, that's not a type-o...$10K!!) so we're basically self pay & trying to save money here & there. We're having the 20 week one because that's when they check the brain/heart to make sure everything is developing normally & b/c we want to know what we're having!

Advertisement

Old 05-10-2010, 06:40 PM   #12
joyful mother
Registered Users
seller
seller

I have only had a 20 week ultrasound with 1 of my 6 kids. I've had early ultrasounds with #1-4 for dating purposes (had no clue) and none with #5 or#6. I had a 20 week one with my 4th because dh thought it would help me distance this baby from the ectopic pregnancy, that man knows me well! I had a friend who had ultrasounds (yes plural many)that said everything looked fine no problems and baby was born and needed heart surgery which they did 3 days later and baby was fine. If your momma gut says something is off get an ultrasound, otherwise skip it!

Food for thought~We do more tests now than ever and our statistics are not better for maternal or infant death!

Last edited by joyful mother; 05-10-2010 at 06:48 PM.
joyful mother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 07:06 PM   #13
NebraskaGirl82
Registered Users
seller

I wouldn't skip the "big" one around 20 weeks. I mean, there is a very good chance that everything will turn out fine without one, my mom didn't have one for either myself or my brother and we were hospital births.

But, the way I look at it is, this is one time I will appreciate the technology we have. It could (not always, of course) spot a potential problem so the doctors could be prepared at delivery. This is why I do the quad screen too. I certainly wouldn't abort for DS or some other birth defect, but I would want to be prepared to give my baby the best care at birth.

You also need to realize sometimes a potential "problem" could turn out to be nothing. So, there are pros and cons. But I personally will always do them.
NebraskaGirl82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 07:22 PM   #14
browneyeNYmomma
Registered Users
seller

In my experience with my first pregnancy and delivery, they do not like to go against typical protocal. And especially with not being as knowledgable with my first, I didn't know what I could insist upon or not...especially without getting harassed for it. So this time around I am doing my research so I can know what I can say yes or no to. I see both sides on having an ultrasound versus not. There are those few times when something could be wrong and they find it, but at the same time like pp said, they don't always find stuff anyways and there is not 100% proof that ultrasound is safe. I personally tend to follow the more conservative medical route, not to say I am right, it's just what I feel more comfortable with. Each of us should do what they feel most comfortable with! That being said, I had my heart set on a homebirth this time around, but unfortunately the state of NY has made them illegal starting July 1, unless something changes before then. So as of now I will be delivering in a hospital with a neonatal unit should anything happen. It's nice to hear that some of your dr's/midwives have been supportive of not doing ultrasound. And I did not know that about it actually not being recommended for healthy pregnancy!
browneyeNYmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 08:51 PM   #15
jadefaerie
Registered Users

I considered declining this time and instead ended up with 4 But not because anything has ever been wrong, because I was constantly convinced something *had* to be wrong. I know that something still could be wrong, but I am finally over worrying about it every 5 minutes, so I guess that's good. I'm also glad we found out relatively definitively that it's a boy so we could prepare my daughter appropriately. She was set on having a sister and I think it's been really good for us to get it through to her that it is a boy (knowing that the infinitesemally small possibility of that being wrong would only be a boon for her).

There are always those one-offs, though. I had a friend who found out at her 20 week u/s that the baby could not survive outside the womb That always stuck with me making it hard for me not to want to take a peek.
Mom to DD (6/21/05-c/s) and DS#1 (5/2/07-HBAC #1) and DS#2 BORN! 7-21-10 (his due date!!) HBAC #2!
jadefaerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 09:17 PM   #16
hadfield531
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

my second baby was born with a heart defect which makes each baby after her much much more likely to have a more severe defect. So I have the routine 20-week ultrasound to screen for anything else (and on that note, this time they caught a defect that is an indicator of a chromosomal abnormality such as Down's Syndrome or Turner's Syndrome, so I am thankful for the "heads-up" and was referred to a perinatologist for further testing and information), and at 28-ish weeks, I go for very very detailed one with the peri to look for the defect. Should they find it, I have to deliver at a hospital 3 hours away with a special cardiology NICU. I am thankful for ultrasound technology. It could save one of my baby's lives.
Old 05-10-2010, 09:23 PM   #17
JustAugust
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would never skip them, but I'm the type that will take as many as possible. I love seeing my sweet girl! But I would never skip the one in the middle (the anatomy scan) because I think it's very important to have all the knowledge you can regarding any possible health concern. If they don't know about a heart issue, by the time one is found once she's born, she could be too far gone. I would just never risk it myself. You can tell them you don't want to know gender, but there's no reason to have all her parts looked at and make sure she's 100% healthy.
Old 05-10-2010, 09:36 PM   #18
musicalisa
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by tygr2410 View Post
I'd get one, just ask that the screen be turned away from you and tell them a few times you do not want to know the gender.

That said, you can decline anything you want in your health care.
ITA. If I'm ever pregnant again, I'll go for the 20 week but not the Nuchal Translucency. I really don't want to find out the sex ahead of time (I've done it both ways) so I'll probably just bring my iPod and wear headphone in the event of a chatty tech.
musicalisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 10:23 PM   #19
Pat899
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by browneyeNYmomma View Post
In my experience with my first pregnancy and delivery, they do not like to go against typical protocal. And especially with not being as knowledgable with my first, I didn't know what I could insist upon or not...especially without getting harassed for it. So this time around I am doing my research so I can know what I can say yes or no to. I see both sides on having an ultrasound versus not. There are those few times when something could be wrong and they find it, but at the same time like pp said, they don't always find stuff anyways and there is not 100% proof that ultrasound is safe. I personally tend to follow the more conservative medical route, not to say I am right, it's just what I feel more comfortable with. Each of us should do what they feel most comfortable with! That being said, I had my heart set on a homebirth this time around, but unfortunately the state of NY has made them illegal starting July 1, unless something changes before then. So as of now I will be delivering in a hospital with a neonatal unit should anything happen. It's nice to hear that some of your dr's/midwives have been supportive of not doing ultrasound. And I did not know that about it actually not being recommended for healthy pregnancy!
You don't need your OB's support to deny ANY testing. YOU can deny ANY testing at ANY time. It is your body and your baby. You don't need permission.
Pat899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 06:41 AM   #20
Cookie Momster
Registered Users

I skipped the ultrasound with my last two and only got one this time cos I wanted to know the gender.