Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-11-2010, 07:05 AM   #21
*KaiMom*
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Skipping ultrasound?

We declined an ultrasound with this pregnancy. It actually feels really good to be so hands off and let nature take its course. Also if you look into ultrasound effects it can be a real eye opener...although dopplers have the same effects but are used for a much smaller amounts of time.

Yes, there could be something abnormal but it could show on the ultrasound or it could not. I think if everything else in pregnancy is going smoothly then an ultrasound is usually just good for piece of mind and to know the gender...if you don't need either than I'd just skip it.

Advertisement

Old 05-11-2010, 08:05 AM   #22
rachaeljohnson
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

after all we have been through i wouldn' skip an u/s. There are conditions like spinabifida that make a csection necessary, there are things like cystic fibrosis where the kid can need medication right away, there are other birth defects or heart defects where the kid may need surgery or risk dyiing, there are bowel obstructions that if detected in utero have like a 90% survival rate but if discovered after have like a 50% survival rate. Tons of things.

you think these things won't happen bc you feel great and are healthy...but they do...trust me, they do.
~MY BLOG~

rachaeljohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 10:58 AM   #23
browneyeNYmomma
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by *KaiMom* View Post
We declined an ultrasound with this pregnancy. It actually feels really good to be so hands off and let nature take its course. Also if you look into ultrasound effects it can be a real eye opener...although dopplers have the same effects but are used for a much smaller amounts of time.

Yes, there could be something abnormal but it could show on the ultrasound or it could not. I think if everything else in pregnancy is going smoothly then an ultrasound is usually just good for piece of mind and to know the gender...if you don't need either than I'd just skip it.
Thank You!!

I'm not looking to start an argument on this subject as I know there are pro's and con's to both sides,everyone should choose what they feel most comfortable with. It's nice to hear everyone's view and experiences. With all the cancer, learning disabilities, neurological defects, etc these days that no one can seem to explain what causes them exactly, I prefer to avoid as much as I can that COULD be a contributing factor. Obviously you can't avoid everything, and there are always cases where it is better to take the risk due to some other known problem. But in a normal healthy pregnancy where there's not family history of problems, I see it as being an unnecessary procedure. That's just my opinion though & I tend to have some pretty weird ones sometimes. I just didn't know if dr's sag it's necessary to have atleast the one at 20 weeks.

Last edited by browneyeNYmomma; 05-11-2010 at 11:34 AM.
browneyeNYmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 11:37 AM   #24
jackyl08
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I actually hate getting u/s because they are so uncomfortable for me, but I will do the 20wk scan. With my 1st pregnancy, I had unexplained bleeding and fibroids and got THREE scans. This next time, I am hoping for just the one. I am the type of person that just needs confirmation that everything appears good. I think it's reallyan individual thing and you have to go with your gut.
Old 05-11-2010, 11:43 AM   #25
tinidancr420
Registered Users

My Mood:

All I can say is I had a "normal" pregnancy for 32 weeks, and then I had an ultrasound which detected a gastroschisis in my ds. Had we not had this knowledge before hand, he may not be with us today because I had to deliver at a hospital with a pediatric surgeon and he was in a NICU for 2 months waiting for his intestines to start working. I know my situation is the exception, but I was definately glad I had an u/s bc there was no other way that I would have known.
tinidancr420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 11:47 AM   #26
kannondicarpo
seller
seller

My Mood:

I had 3 with Nikolas. 1 when I thought I lost him -- my husband seeing that flickering heartbeat on the screen was one of the best moments of my life. The 20 week one (didn't find out gender) when they detected echogenic foci, increasing the risk of Down Syndrome, and then another specialized one to see if there was in fact EGF. There was and it increased my risks but I was keeping him regardless so there was no reason to know -- for me. I wish I would have never known about the EGF. He was born perfectly healthy and I worried for nothing.

With Kate I had none and with this baby I'll have none. We don't find out the gender and would NEVER terminate a pregnancy so there is no need for me.

Charlene Keala || 9.27.10, Zakary Michael || 10.25.12 & Baby "Momomi" || October 2014 ~

Loving life on the Big Island!
kannondicarpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 08:16 PM   #27
katina128
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would never skip it, but that's just me, coming from the mother of a 26 week stillborn daughter. IMO, better to know ahead of time if something is wrong, then to end up burying your child like me. That's probably harsh, but it's how serious I think it is for my own family.

WAHM behind Lullaby Diapers Portfolio

katina128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 07:50 AM   #28
rachaeljohnson
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

katina-giant hugs. I was thinking about you recently. Hope you are doing well! I wholeheartedly agree with how candidly you put it!
~MY BLOG~

rachaeljohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 11:51 AM   #29
missykay
Registered Users

My Mood:

I had 3 with DS1 and knew that I didn't want that many with this babe. We're with a midwife now so I didn't have to worry about the "routine" dating US. I did have my 20 week though because meds I take put me at a higher risk for neural tube defects and cleft palate. We would never terminate a pregnancy, but the special ed teacher in me just feels like I should be prepared. I refused the 35 week "growth" US that the OB who read my US recommended. The baby measured fine on the first scan so I see no need for a second one.

If you're comfortable not having it and you're not at a higher risk for anything, then I don't see a pressing reason to have it. If I weren't at increased risk I don't think I would do it.
Forever missing Yuen Tien (12-9-11)
The LORD has done great things for us, and we are filled with joy. Psalm 126:3
missykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 01:10 PM   #30
katina128
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachaeljohnson View Post
katina-giant hugs. I was thinking about you recently. Hope you are doing well! I wholeheartedly agree with how candidly you put it!
I'm doing good, Rachel. Just waiting on my anatomy scan, fetal echo and placenta check on monday. I'm so anxious to know if this one has a heart defect or not. At least if we know about this one, we might be able to save her. If only we'd known about Rachel's before it was too late.

How are you doing? Is your pregnancy going well? I sure hope so! I know some people don't care for my frank or candid-ness about what I went through, but if it can save someone else from going through the hell we went through, then it's a good thing.

WAHM behind Lullaby Diapers Portfolio

katina128 is offline   Reply With Quote