Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-14-2010, 10:53 AM   #31
hadfield531
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Skipping ultrasound?

I posted a comment the other day on here about how ultrasounds could save my babies' lives due to a risk I have genetically. I sit here less than 2 hours after finding out via ultrasound that my baby DOES in fact have a congenital heart defect, and this one is far more serious and dangerous than we thought. Finding out at delivery may have made it too late. We are devestated, but thankful for the technology that may enable us to give this baby the best start in life by knowing before the problem turned deadly. Get the ultrasound....

Advertisement

Old 05-14-2010, 11:15 AM   #32
DalesWidda
Registered Users
Formerly: savmaralamommy
seller

My Mood:

Oh, good luck with your baby! God bless!
DalesWidda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 01:16 PM   #33
browneyeNYmomma
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by hadfield531 View Post
I posted a comment the other day on here about how ultrasounds could save my babies' lives due to a risk I have genetically. I sit here less than 2 hours after finding out via ultrasound that my baby DOES in fact have a congenital heart defect, and this one is far more serious and dangerous than we thought. Finding out at delivery may have made it too late. We are devestated, but thankful for the technology that may enable us to give this baby the best start in life by knowing before the problem turned deadly. Get the ultrasound....
I pray that the dr's will be able to do the best that they can for your baby, for you as you have to go through all this, and that God may perform a miracle cure!
I completely agree that in your case with having a genetic risk, getting an ultrasound is definitely the best way to go!!
browneyeNYmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 01:52 PM   #34
birdie
Registered Users
seller

That is the ultrasound where they measure the baby and make sure the baby is growing as well as make sure the level of fluid and get a more accurate due date. It is very important and they will ask you if you want to know or not.
Old 05-14-2010, 01:55 PM   #35
katie's mom
Registered Users

I, personally, would have at least the 20 week ultrasound just to be sure that everything is fine and if it were not to make the appropriate arrangements for the delivery. I had 7+ during my pregnancy and that was within my comfort level for the type of pregnancy I had, but can understand that it would not be for others.
katie's mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 02:23 PM   #36
joy7s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

honestly as others have said I don't feel like this is unnecessary.. as someone mentioned, there could be something really wrong that you want to know at birth.. ie heart defect!!

There's a "hole" in everyone's heart that closes 2-4 days after birth. Once this closes, blood circulation changes. If there's a defect dependant on this hole being opened, you can put your newborn into cardiac failure b/c you didn't know. Prior to the hole being closed, the baby looks like every other.. pink, responsive etc.

There's just so much you can find out in an u/s.. that could put your child at risk to not get one. There is no risk with it as these are SOUND waves not radioactive waves!

I don't get a quad screen or anything of that nature.. I feel that I am going to have my baby no matter what may be wrong however I always opt to get the u/s.
Spring Joy Jesus following,cding, extended bfing,tandem nursing (again!) , homeschooling, mama milk donating, semi crunchy and green mama. Unemployed ped RN married to my one and only n asl Terp since 2/16/00
my three princesses: a (6/26/04) s (9/15/06) and Z (8/5/08)
and little man Z (11/12/10)
joy7s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 02:25 PM   #37
joy7s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hadfield531 View Post
Blessings with your new lo mama! Thanks so much for sharing.
Spring Joy Jesus following,cding, extended bfing,tandem nursing (again!) , homeschooling, mama milk donating, semi crunchy and green mama. Unemployed ped RN married to my one and only n asl Terp since 2/16/00
my three princesses: a (6/26/04) s (9/15/06) and Z (8/5/08)
and little man Z (11/12/10)
joy7s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 03:10 PM   #38
browneyeNYmomma
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by joy7s View Post
. There is no risk with it as these are SOUND waves not radioactive waves!
I do not believe that it is proven 100% safe. I do think the risk is fairly low to where if there is concern for something being wrong, then it should definitely be done! Without even going into depth research, you can google the safety of ultrasound and see that it is recommended atleast to limit ultrasound unless necessary. There's got to be reason behind this recommendation!
browneyeNYmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 10:44 PM   #39
katina128
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by joy7s View Post
honestly as others have said I don't feel like this is unnecessary.. as someone mentioned, there could be something really wrong that you want to know at birth.. ie heart defect!!

There's a "hole" in everyone's heart that closes 2-4 days after birth. Once this closes, blood circulation changes. If there's a defect dependant on this hole being opened, you can put your newborn into cardiac failure b/c you didn't know. Prior to the hole being closed, the baby looks like every other.. pink, responsive etc.
I absolutely agree!! My daughter had a hole in her heart that was greater than 50% of the septal wall, and was NOT genetic, and it took her life at 26 wks gestation. It's very serious stuff, and if you could know about it before hand, and know how to help your child make it through that, why wouldn't you want to know?

WAHM behind Lullaby Diapers Portfolio

katina128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 06:01 AM   #40
Pikemommy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyshanti View Post
u can also get all the test done and still have something be wrong with your child
or u can get the test have them tell you x,y are wrong lead to more tests only to find out babe is perfect

yes you can skip "routine" ultrasounds

oh i did decline it was a midwife/ob practice
she had a big attitude(ob)about it and charterd everything i said
switched to hb midwife fast
She charted everything you said to cover HER butt if there was someting wrong with the delivery or the baby. Lots of "suit crazy" people out there.... I don't blame her, I do U/S and in the OB world there are more law suites than in any other field. Are you aware that a person can sue there OB/GYN or midwife for anything that happened in the delivery until the child is 18?

Anyways, I always like to error on the side of safety when it comes to my kids. If a simple U/S could potentially save my child I'm going to do it, even if chances are it's going to find everything is just perfect. (I know things can be missed, but such is life... one can make that argument with anything!)

BUT... you do have the right to deny any testing including the U/S, perk to living in the USA!!!
S 3/15 7lbs 15oz 20.5in
Pikemommy is offline   Reply With Quote