Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-10-2010, 03:27 PM   #1
NorahsMom
Registered Users
seller

How accurate are baby weight estimates?

I just had a post dates ultrasound and the doctor estimated this baby's weight at 8 lbs 13 oz!!! My 37-weeker was 6 pounds, so obviously an almost-9-pound baby freaks me out. Doc did say that they tend to overestimate. And it seems like my friends always get weight estimates that are way over the top. Has anybody had one that was close? (Please don't let this one be even remotely close. I was expecting like a 7.5 pounder.)

Advertisement

Old 05-10-2010, 03:35 PM   #2
clothdipemama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: How accurate are baby weight estimates?

No help here. Mine were both under estimates . I wouldn't worry too much about the size. It's really the head and shoulder size that make the most difference any ways, and besides, I guess there's really nothing you can do about it

Mine were both over 8.
Wife 09/06, and Mom to GirlBabyr02/08 BoyBabyr 10/09 and GirlBabyr 09/11 and #4 :Girlbabyr 08/13
clothdipemama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 03:41 PM   #3
tygr2410
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

it can go a pound either way i've heard. I'll be getting a weight estimate tomorrow, but still waiting on baby.

If your doctor said they tend to overestimate, maybe he just knows how the u/s tech does measurements and they are typically over. I wouldn't be afraid...nothing you can really do about it unless you'd rather have a c-section then attemp a delivery of a normal size baby.
Old 05-10-2010, 03:42 PM   #4
eragsdale
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

i think there is a 60-75% margian either way.
eragsdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 03:47 PM   #5
snickerball
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I delivered a baby that was over 10 lbs. and they had no idea. I measured normal the entire pregnancy. All of mine have been large and close in weight to each other. I can't imagine that if you had a six pound baby that you would jump to a nine pound baby. My first was 9 lbs.(early), second was 10.2(term), third was 9.8(early), and fourth was 9.15 and he was five days late. First and third were early so you can see they typically stay within a pound of each other unless you have diabetes. After my 10 lb. child they always tried to freak me out by saying the rest would be bigger and they never were. Don't panic because they are only guessing. If you had no problem delivering the first one it should be fine with this one. My deliveries get faster and easier. Fear can make the labor pain worse so just relax!
snickerball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 03:48 PM   #6
Ellasundies
Registered Users

IME those baby weight estimations aren't even close to being accurate. My last pregnancy was horrible. I was already scared because I experienced a miscarriage + fertility problems before that pregnancy. Those stupid doctors had me worried about every little thing. Then when I finally started coming to grips with the fact that everything was going to be ok (at around 36 weeks) the doc's started freaking out that my baby was too small (under 5 lbs). DD was almost 8 lbs at birth and perfectly healthy.

They did the same with DS as well but his doctors had a head on their shoulders and said, "well he's measuring small but those measurements are almost never accurate so I'm sure everything will be fine".DS was also born at close to 8 lbs.

Something to keep in mind....usually the babies that you have will be a similar size because the size of the uterus helps determine when a babe will be born (assuming your talking full term here) with the first baby having a tendency to be born smallest (because your uterus hasn't been stretched out yet) with other babies being slightly larger. Of course this isn't always true but it's fairly safe to say that assuming a person has two healthy normal pregnancies they won't have one baby who is 5 lbs and another that is 9.
Ellasundies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 03:49 PM   #7
Ready2Bmommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My doc told me I had a 7.5 lb baby on my hands, and I ended up with a 7lb 10oz baby, so she was close, but typically I don't hear people say that the estimates are usually right.
Hadley, proud to be a wife to Wes (5/26/07), Catholic, natural birthing, BFing, Bedsharing, BWing, ERFing, WOHM, Master's student graduate, and mama to my loves, Emmitt(8/17/09) & Ellen Kate (9/22/11)
Adding a new little snow baby to our family Jan 2015
Help me earn more space on Dropbox!!
Ready2Bmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 03:54 PM   #8
steph410
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

for me, the ultrasound weight predictions towards the very end of pregnancy were actually very accurate. but i think i heard that a mother's feeling about how big her baby is, is more accurate than a doctor's estimation.
Old 05-10-2010, 05:10 PM   #9
bluedaisyma
Registered Users
seller

I have heard of people being induced bc the doc swore the baby was 10 lbs based on the u/s and the baby was only 6lbs...I don't think the estimates are good in my opinion whether it's U/S or just the docs thoughts based on how you are measuring. I had a baby who was a month early and was 7.5 lbs and the docs had no clue he was gonna be that big.
Old 05-10-2010, 05:25 PM   #10
Riley&EricsMom
Registered Users

My Mood:

I've spoken to my OB about this and he said that all weights based on US are usually incorrect. If they're close they get lucky. He said what tends to be most accurate is if momma feels like she has a big baby or not (especially in subsequent pregnancies). I had a bedside US hours before having my daughter and they said she was 6 lbs. She came out 8lbs 2 oz.

I've also had plenty of friends that have had scheduled c-section because they estimated their baby to be on the large size and they were smallish ( they guesstimated 10lbs and he came out a little over 6).

Scrapbook? I'm a Close To My Heart Consultant! Check out my website
Riley&EricsMom is offline   Reply With Quote