Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-10-2010, 06:30 PM   #21
jadefaerie
Registered Users

Re: How accurate are baby weight estimates?

Yeah, they told me my 1st baby was close to 10 lbs but she ended up being 8 lb 9oz. My doctor really was trying to scare me (and, for some reason, she actually went out of her way to be mean...) I avoided late u/s with my last pg because of that (and never went back to that awful doctor!)

Advertisement

Mom to DD (6/21/05-c/s) and DS#1 (5/2/07-HBAC #1) and DS#2 BORN! 7-21-10 (his due date!!) HBAC #2!
jadefaerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 07:54 PM   #22
mommamisti2
Registered Users

My Mood:

For the last 3 pregnancies the doctor told me that I had big babies in there. My DS was 8'9 and my second was 7'8 and they also told me for my last son that he was big (I had 13 ultrasounds) and he came out at a whopping 6lb 8oz!!! I would say that those measurements are wrong..lol I wonder what this baby will come out to be?
http://www.etsy.com/shop/mommamisti2
mommamisti2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 07:56 PM   #23
CountryChicMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Ultrasound measurements were right on for me. They said around 9.2lbs and he was 9.8lbs. I, on the other hand, measured on target the whole pregnancy (fundal measurements).
Old 05-10-2010, 08:05 PM   #24
Fishie Kisses
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

ODS was supposedly 8lbs+...he was 7lbs exactly at 41wks. YDS was supposed to be around 7.5...he was 8lbs10oz. I don't pay any attention to the weight estimates
Tashauna~~proud wife to my trained boo-boo fixer and mama to 4 boys on earth (Jordan-01/15/08, Logan-12/16/09, Connor-05/17/11)...and finally our rainbow Jackson (11/24/13)! and two in heaven ^i^ (10wks-11/12 and 4 weeks 2/13)
Try SWAGBUCKS and get paid!! I've earned over $1000 just since Jan 1, 2013!!!
Fishie Kisses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 08:43 PM   #25
C-MaeMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

my last pg my dr and ob thought dd was going to be over 10lbs as I had GD. She was 8.8, my sister had an u/s with her show baby to be a little over 6lbs and she was 7.11. i had an us last week and they were guessing around 8lbs but i think this one is bigger...will find out asap!
Old 05-10-2010, 09:18 PM   #26
hadfield531
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Sometimes very accurate, sometimes very WRONG. I had one that went each way. My OB told me some crazy stories about the unreliability of them just from instances from their own office. Off by 4+ pounds with one of them...
Old 05-10-2010, 10:17 PM   #27
aggfan
Registered Users
seller

I have heard stories of them being very inaccurate and very accurate. The inaccurate ones seem to be more common. I really think it would help the field of obstetrics if providers figured out what the factors are that increase accuracy - does it have to do with quality of equipment, skill of person doing the utlrasound, confidence in the gestational age, or what?

Then I wish providers gave a level of certainty when giving a specific weight. Like, "We are estimating 8 pounds, 6 ounces with a 75% certainty rate or a moderate degree of certainty" or or something like that. Or, if they can't do even that, then just a weight range rather than a specific weight (like "estimating baby at 8 to 8.5 pounds").

As an aside, in my small town, one high risk ob has a practical monopoly on ultrasounds and I had my two routine ultrasounds done there. My understanding is that his equipment is superb, he has a high risk ob partner who loves ultrasounds and prefers to do them over anything else, that the practice is super well-respected. I got a very short survey from them after my baby was born asking me some simple questions about the accuracy of their predicted outcomes and baby's actual health (i.e. birth defects predicted vs realized). I think they asked about accuracy of weight estimates too. I was impressed that they had that assessment mechanism in place to check themselves. I wish all ultrasound practitioners would do that.

Last edited by aggfan; 05-10-2010 at 10:26 PM.
aggfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 10:20 PM   #28
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

an estimate is that. My kids were said to be tiny. But they were NOT. I am 100lbs, 5 footish and they were over 7lbs. I wear a size zero for goodness sakes! So, an average size woman giving birth to a 8lbs + shoudln't be an issue. LOL. I went all natural with my 7lb 11oz son!
Old 05-10-2010, 11:40 PM   #29
MinkaK
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I was told the later the ultrasound, the harder it is to get an estimate. I had an ultrasound with ds at 37 weeks, estimated weight was 8lbs. I gave birth at 37w4 days and he was 9.2 I had an ultrasound with dd at 32 weeks and they guessed 5 and a half pounds and I gave birth at 36w3d and she was 8.9. So with ds not accurate and with dd it was ( with how much a baby should put on each week)
Old 05-11-2010, 12:27 AM   #30
Trauem Was Schoenes
Registered Users

My Mood:

Mine was underestimated (they said he would be about 9 and he was 10 pounds) BUT I didn't believe the doctors since I knew US could be over a pound off and that my body wouldn't give me a baby I couldn't birth. I honestly thought that I would be having a 7ish pound baby. Needless to say I was in shock when they laid him on my chest after the pushing phase.

However my birth was great and as long as you go in there thinking and knowing you can birth your baby, I don't think you have anything to worry about- even if your baby is almost 9 pounds