Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-11-2010, 11:33 AM   #1
Twisted&Loc'd_Mama
Registered
seller

Location: Adios Hawaii- Hello Sunny San Diego Only A Few Months To Go!
Horrible Overnight Ammonia Smell

For the past couple of weeks I've been dealing with a horrible ammonia problem. I was using Tide for a long time and switched to a cheaper detergent(Arm and Hammer), but just switched back. Stripped all of the diapers and re-washed them. This morning when I opened Jude's diaper I almost passed out. The smell was horrible!!! This has been going on for about two weeks now. I don't know if it's because he's sick or if I didn't wash the diapers well enough(although I think I did). While he's been sick, his day time diapers have been kind of strong(but not an ammonia smell) just very strong smelling.
I'm on the verge of switch to sposies at night. I don't know what else I can do.
I striped with Dawn, then vinegar and baking soda, then washed in Tide and Oxyclean. I have an extra rinse on my cycle plus I ran them through another cycle without soap after washing. They should be super clean!

Advertisement

Twisted&Loc'd_Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 11:42 AM   #2
PureBliss
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Horrible Overnight Ammonia Smell

Some ideas that come to mind:

Id wash the diapers more often- I wash every other day, and I always make sure I set the water level to Super (we have a TL)
I also find that if I have ammonia smell, or if I am starting to, using a wet pail helps- with vinegar added to the water (or if you dont want to use vinegar, bac out works too). I rinse all my diapers out in the sink before I put them in the pail. I find that if urine sits in a diaper too long, it really smells like ammonia BAD!

As for nights, I find that if ds pees before falling asleep, the diaper is more likely to smell of ammonia in the morning, than if he pees when he wakes up (ds sleeps thru the night and does not nurse at night anymore)

Vinegar rinses in the wash help, and adding Bac out to the cold cycle also helps. Do not add Bac out to hot water, hot water kills the enzymes and then you wont get any results with the bac out.

HTH!
Old 05-11-2010, 11:48 AM   #3
Twisted&Loc'd_Mama
Registered
seller

Location: Adios Hawaii- Hello Sunny San Diego Only A Few Months To Go!
Re: Horrible Overnight Ammonia Smell

I don't always wash every other day, and I keep a dry pail. I almost bought some bac out a few days ago, but ended u just getting vinegar. How do you keep a wet pail, just keep water and vinegar/bac out in it?
Twisted&Loc'd_Mama is offline   Reply With Quote