Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-12-2010, 02:25 PM   #11
tygr2410
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Help me with heartburn please!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali4niachef View Post
Be careful with too much tums the calicium in tums deposits in to the placenta.
I have heard this, and didn't know during my first or second pregnancy and ate them as often as allowed..and saw the placenta both times and it did not have any calcium deposits visable. Not saying it's not true, but from what i've read, it's the aging of a placenta that produces the calcification, not consumption of tums.

Advertisement

Old 05-12-2010, 03:17 PM   #12
JamieJLD
Registered Users
seller
seller

Thanks for all the ideas! The almonds did seem to help a lot last night. It took me from crazy burning miserable to mild discomfort.

I haven't had any heartburn today yet, hopefully the home remedies and the occassional Tums will be enough.
Old 05-12-2010, 04:28 PM   #13
jessesgirl
Registered Users
Formerly: jesses
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tygr2410 View Post
I have heard this, and didn't know during my first or second pregnancy and ate them as often as allowed..and saw the placenta both times and it did not have any calcium deposits visable. Not saying it's not true, but from what i've read, it's the aging of a placenta that produces the calcification, not consumption of tums.
I took even far more than the recommended dosages with DS between the puking and the heartburn...and never had any problems. Certainly not saying it isn't true, but I never had any problems.

Visit Jaleigh Bean Bowtique on the WAHM boards! Also, visit my fan page!
jessesgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 05:02 PM   #14
jraejohnson
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i second the papaya enzymes and if it is super bad as gross as it is you can drink bakingsoda and water mixed together. its nasty but instant relief
Old 05-12-2010, 05:10 PM   #15
cali4niachef
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tygr2410 View Post
Calcification of the placenta is caused by many things, calcifaction is just part of the placenta's overall well-being. A placenta can start to fail at ANY point during pregnancy. I have a friend that gestated to 43wks and 45wks. Her 45wk placenta with her 2nd birth was in better condition than her 43wk placenta.

The "old placenta" thing is really placenta calcification. It can happen past 42 weeks, but it's most common among people who use tobacco, alcohol, or drugs, or have pretty severe untreated diabetes. It's extremely unusual for a healthy, full-term pregnancy. If a placenta is going to malfunction for any other reason, effects on the fetus will be seen long before term, in the form of intrauterine growth retardation, or IUGR.

Here's what I've found from my research:

Scientists apparently don't know much more about placenta calcification than we do. In the papers I've read, it appears that the evidence of placenta calcification indicates potential for IUGR, and rarely, bone diseases and deformities in the fetus. I can't find any connection between calcification and stillbirth, unless it is indirect, as a result of IUGR. IUGR seems to be the biggest concern. The only way that could be combatted, then, would be to take the baby before IUGR has serious effects. But then you have to decide which is worse: prematurity or effects of IUGR. Most of the articles I have read suggest simply monitoring the fetus for any signs of distress once significant placental calcification has been diagnosed.

It is not necessary to automatically schedule an induction or c-section with this finding. The fetus can simply be monitored to check any IUGR, then a determination would be made from there. Unless a person is a smoker, drinker, or drug user, you would not need to worry overly much about it.

Also, as someone who encapsulate placentas I see it in the placenta if the mother took Tums regularly for heart burn. It shows up in her placenta, little tiny calcification spots are peppered throughout her placenta.
EUPHORICBIRTH.COM
cali4niachef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 05:11 PM   #16
cali4niachef
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessesgirl View Post
I took even far more than the recommended dosages with DS between the puking and the heartburn...and never had any problems. Certainly not saying it isn't true, but I never had any problems.
Did you get a look at your placenta?
EUPHORICBIRTH.COM
cali4niachef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 05:29 PM   #17
ctoth77
Registered Users
seller

I agree with the Papaya Enzyme tablets. As long as I remember to take one every time before I eat, it usually works.
ctoth77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 07:42 PM   #18
karaintx
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

papaya enzymes!! i have some gastro issues so the heartburn/acid reflux starts early in pregnancy and i have been using the papaya enzymes for about 3 weeks now! they work AWESOME!!!
Old 05-17-2010, 07:06 PM   #19
kim_in_wa
Registered Users
seller

I've been keeping tums everywhere - and trying to figure out what foods trigger it..... but good luck! It's a stinky part of pregnancy!
kim_in_wa is offline   Reply With Quote