Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-12-2010, 03:25 AM   #1
jmzovolz08
Registered Users

My Mood:
Active Duty Momma moved to UK

Hello, I'm new on this and just moved here from Okinawa. We just bought our house wow in Isleham and really would love to know more on what to do here with two kids and expecting. My eldest is turning 6 and the youngest is 2. I've been trying to go to different places and let them see this but, wow how time goes and you never get the chance too.

Also, I'm nervous about doing cloth diapers because of the washers it seems like there not clean any help on this and what I should try.

Advertisement

jmzovolz08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 08:35 AM   #2
Wanderlust
Registered Users
Formerly: jen**eth
seller

Re: Active Duty Momma moved to UK

Enjoy your time in the UK...I miss it so much! I didn't have children there, but I do really suggest getting a National Trust membership http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/main/

Once you're a member, you get into all their sites for free. There are also activities available at the different sites- like children's days, medieval faires, etc. I know we got our money's worth by going to all the different things.

Not sure about the washers. I know the base gave us the small high-effeciency washers and I tend to agree with you there. It would take forever to get things clean because I could only wash maybe 3 pairs of jeans per load and there was hardly any water used. If you live on base or on base housing, I'd give it a try. Just do a bunch of rinse cycles since you don't have to pay a water bill
Old 05-27-2010, 02:50 AM   #3
ProudMomma
Registered Users
seller

Congrats and welcome! We used to be in that area and now we're at Alconbury with our almost 2 year old and also expecting! =)

We did cloth with him from birth and still use them at night. The washers are great because they are UK sized and stuff, but we did it all at the laundromat. Isleham isn't too far from Mildenhall and they have the better laundromat anyway. We have friends who live out there. I do have to admit, it's not the easiest to do though, especially with kids, but it was workable for us..

Not sure if you have any Thomas fans, but Thomas the train is here all year with rides during bank holidays and things. He's up at the Nene Railway, near Peterborough, an hour away from you. If you make it a day trip, Sacrewell farm is maybe 5 miles away. It's not the greatest, but my kiddo definitely enjoyed it and feeding the animals. RAFL has regular playgroup meetings and the Bob Hope at RAFM has an AWESOME play area for the kids and work out area for the parents. I still drive fairly regularly out there to let my so play. O, just realized, as you are new, I have a TON of power strips and stuff I'm looking to sell since we overbought and I'm selling them VERY cheap (like $1 or so each). Let me know if you're interested. I'm heading out there soon!

Keeping our angel in our hearts

Please PM me for anything important. I usually forget to check my threads
ProudMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 04:59 AM   #4
MeCo7707
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I get calgon from the commisary and put it in my wash - helps get everything clean. Isleham has a farm that has pick your own - strawberries, raspberries, and currants. If I remember correctly the turn for it is by the church in town - anyway they are really decent priced and we took the homeschooling group there and all the kids loved it!

Also Bewilderwood is a great place to go - it's up in Norfolk but well worth the trip.