Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-12-2010, 10:40 AM   #1
promise427
Registered Users
seller
seller

Microfiber inserts - are stinking!! Help!!

I haven't had a real problem with stink for a long time (aside from leaving dipes to be washed for too long). I just bought a bunch of pockets that came with microfiber inserts and though the diapers and hemp/cotton inserts are smelling clean the microfiber inserts still smell!! Please tell me if there's something I can do differently or if I should just get rid of these inserts and get hemp ones???

Here's what I did:

Diapers were only in (dry) pail for less than 2 days (I wash every other day). I use Country Save and put in 1/2 the recommended amount. I think our water here is very hard. I first do a cycle in cold (prewash, wash, 2nd rinse). Then I do a hot wash cycle (another prewash, wash, 2nd rinse).

Help me figure out what else to do? I might sun-dry the inserts today then wash them again - ????

Advertisement

Old 05-12-2010, 10:42 AM   #2
steph_reynolds
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Microfiber inserts - are stinking!! Help!!

I have been told that it is just a problem with MF. I know I did soaks, used a tad of bleach, sunned ALL day, and never could keep stink at bay for more than a day or two. and I didnt let my dipes sit and stew. I washed EVERY night.
steph_reynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 10:52 AM   #3
juldga
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I had that problem once I boiled them and they still stunk. I got rid of them nothing worked - not bleach, vinegar, baking soda,
I got rockingreen soap after that so I dont know if it helps or not they claim it does
juldga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 10:58 AM   #4
mommato4kids
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We had MAJOR stink problems with our microfiber inserts until switching to Tide original powder. No problems or stink since then. I had tried everything under the sun before finally just switching, vinegar, soaking, stripping, sunning, baking soda, different detergents, Calgon, Oxiclean, etc. NOTHING worked and I almost gave up cd'ing.
Old 05-12-2010, 11:23 AM   #5
steph_reynolds
Registered Users

My Mood:

im glad to hear that about the tide, because we have switched to an ALL Tide Original household, and I have not had any issues with my fitteds (I never had any issues with them beforehand though). hopefully this round of MF wont get the stinks.
steph_reynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 11:33 AM   #6
aLittleBouncingSoul
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

MF can get stinky. The sun helps, and occasionally bleaching does too. I've recently switched to Rockin Green, and love it for my MF
aLittleBouncingSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 11:35 AM   #7
love2bmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I have some stink in my microfiber right now too. Yesterday, I washed them as normal and then soaked them for 30 minutes in a full washer of hot water with 1/2 cup of bleach. Then I ran the rest of the cycle with an extra rinse. Today, they smell so much better. Obviously, I don't know if the stink is going to come back after the next washing, but it's something to try, I guess!
love2bmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 11:37 AM   #8
sisu
Registered Users
seller
seller

Yes, MF is definitely notorious for getting the stinkies! I've found that sunning does help, and if that doesn't work, a soak in a mild bleach solution or Bac-Out will do the trick for a couple weeks.

I'm on the verge of totally giving up on MF, though, because it's just such a PITB.
sisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 11:38 AM   #9
Tweedledum
Registered Users

I had this problem with my MF inserts too. I was ready to chuck them and just start anew with hemp or bamboo. My last ditch attempt worked to get them stink free, though. That was to soak them overnight in hot water and 1/4 cup baking soda, with about 2 cups of vinegar (don't overdo the baking soda, as it will get crunchy if you put too much). Then wash with your regular routine. Since then, I've also been wetpailing the MF inserts in a dishpan with vinegar-water. No more stink!
Tweedledum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 01:43 PM   #10
promise427
Registered Users
seller
seller

Ok - so I tried ONE MORE wash (only a tiny amount of detergent and some Borax) and xtra rinse - in COLD. I think the stink is gone now

Can anyone tell me if it's a total "no-no" to use the Borax stuff (or other water-softener type stuff??)??

I just keep running in to problems now that I've really started CD full time again. My wet bags are - getting wet (not working), I'm having this stink issue, my brand new BG OS organics are pilling after two washes (old ones in SAME washes after one year of use - no pilling at all - wonder if they are made with cheaper fabric now??). At LEAST using pockets with or lining other dipes with microfiber has really helped my baby avoid rashes lately. That's good.

Now if I can just solve all these other issues!!