Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-12-2010, 02:32 PM   #1
SimplyGreen
Registered Users
seller

Meatless dinner ideas??

My dh is a hungry guy, really likes meat and potatoes.... I would like to start doing some more meatless dinners, but everytime i make something that is not meat he looking around for something more to eat. So anyone have any good meatless dinner recipes? Thanks

Advertisement

SimplyGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 11:40 PM   #2
mom2ls
Registered Users
seller

Re: Meatless dinner ideas??

I make bean (either pinto or black) and rice burritos. I don't have a recipe, just kind of throw in whatever I feel like. We use brown rice to make it a little healthier and I usually make some salsa. They are yummy and my DH hasn't missed the meat in this one yet!
Old 05-12-2010, 11:44 PM   #3
Nightowl Jan
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

a huge lasagna with tons of cheese and eggplant and mushrooms and spinach and zucchini and thick sauce. mmmmm!
Old 05-13-2010, 01:53 AM   #4
Aleta
Registered Users
seller
seller

My DH is the same way. We do gnocchi, cheese lasagna, bean and cheese burritos/quesadillas, grilled cheese and tomato soup, spaghetti, and fettucini alfredo. We try to go meatless once a week - and its hard just that one night! DH really likes his meat!
Aleta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 06:15 AM   #5
MelissaAnn
Registered Users
seller

eggplant parmesan, rice and beans, and cheese and bean tostadas are a big hit in our house.
MelissaAnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 06:52 AM   #6
tesslouise
Registered Users
seller
seller

Lentil stew. Hubs prefers it *without* the optional ground beef. Maybe make it once w/ beef and then the second time w/out and see if your hubby even notices? Here's the recipe: http://tesslouise.livejournal.com/169881.html
Amelia, married to Bear since 12/31/04; our daughter Rowan was born 8/6/09; our daughter Sapphira was born 8/17/12; due with DD3 6/17/15 (but after one two weeks late and one three weeks early, I'm not expecting a due-date baby!)
tesslouise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 01:27 PM   #7
AshtonsMommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My DF is the same way....meat and potatoes, when I am a salad girl......if I only make him a salad or something, he looks around for something else to eat. I am trying to stay on a budge of $100 or less for our family of 4 (about 90% organic/soy)....so I figured that we would do 2 meat meals per week, 2 chicken meals per week, 2 days of meatless, and 1 day of leftovers, so we could cut down on the cost of meat.

The meatless meals are such things as:

cheese lasagna with garlic bread
homemade soup with grilled cheese
BLT's (I know they aren't meatless, but it is less meat than a pound or 2 of ground beef*
spaghetti
pizza
veggie stir fry over rice
breakfast for dinner (scrambled eggs/toast or pancakes)
homemade waffles
Old 05-14-2010, 03:52 PM   #8
nurseamyt
Registered Users
seller

We do grilled veggie fajitas. Grill portabellos, red peppers and onions, slice and serve on whole wheat tortillas with black beans, tomatoes, avocados, and sour cream. We put fajita seasoning on the mushrooms to spice it up.
nurseamyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 05:02 PM   #9
etmoto
Registered Users
seller

My dh is actually a vegetarian....and there are several meals I've made when he still looks around for something else to eat. Which is why he almost always has a skinny cow ice cream sandwich before bed. One thing I made recently that he liked was lentils and brown rice mixed with taco seasoning and served in corn tortillas with cheese. And the meal we always overeat - spaghetti!
etmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 06:29 PM   #10
katkat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My DH is vegetarian, so I have to get very creative to keep our meals yummy and different. We eat lots of stir-fries either over rice or organic udon noodles that I get at Costco. Not sure if you have Whole Foods store close by, but they carry Quorn meat substitute products which are not soy and they absorb the flavor of whatever you cook them with. Their chicken tenders are the best if simmered in some kind of sauce and you can't even tell it's not real chicken. I also use tofu a lot. We have pasta with veggies and mushrooms once a week, risotto cakes or potato pancakes. All very filling.
katkat is offline   Reply With Quote