Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-13-2010, 06:16 AM   #1
angbaby1
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
teachers losing it?!

They had a segment on GMA this am about a teacher who acted violently toward a student. This came after just yesturday I noticed how on another forum and on FB teachers are saying things like 'another day of screaming and spitting and no one listening to me'.. 'darn brats never give me a break'..

what's happening with these teachers? I understand there are wonderful teachers out there of course, it just worries me that some teachers are losing with kids and thier patience, so sad. We're going to homeschool but non of the reasons why involved anything to do with teachers and violence, now however it's on the list. Just sad.

Advertisement

Old 05-13-2010, 06:46 AM   #2
nakedbabytoes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: teachers losing it?!

I think it's really complex problem.
Kids can be very mouthy & defiant sometimes, lacking respect for others & not understanding boundaries.
Teachers hands are tied. Discipline is a very touchy subject, it seems an all or nothing thing anymore(no tolerance or complete lack of doing anything at all for fear of getting in trouble or sued)
Video recorders in the palm of your hand. Now there is video proof that someone is doing this or that, whereas before it was all heresay. Video proof is hard to refute.
Larger classes. Kids used to go to small schools with fewer kids & more one on one attention. Better for the kids, better for the teachers. Everybody was less stressed & felt like they mattered. When you have that sense of belonging, you try harder to be good together & help each other.

My English teacher was asked once what THE biggest problem in society is. He said "I don't care." He said when people stop caring, they stop trying. Things fall apart.
I think things have gotten too big. Kids don't care. Teachers don't care. People give up. It's sad.
Old 05-13-2010, 06:52 AM   #3
tiffsnest
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

First of all, as a former teacher, I kept my frustrations to myself and commiserated with my collegues...as any one in any profession will do. I do also understand the anger of many in the teaching profession because we all got in to it hoping to "change the world" and stay understanding that in one year of teaching, you'll be lucky to change only one's world...and thrown under the bus with every other...

Principals back parents, parents blame teachers, students blame teachers, students refuse to do homework, get into fights without consequences...and the No Child Left Behind and similar programs hold the teachers responsible, while stripping them of control or even simple consequences more and more every year.

I got out to stay home with my kids. I have home schooled, but 2 are in public school right now, and even as a parent, I don't like that my kids have so little recourse when being bullied or other kids disruptions in class...

The lack of teacher power helps no one...and frustrates everyone!
tiffsnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 07:04 AM   #4
twogirlsmama
Registered Users
seller

I teach, and I do care very much. (I also realize that you were not at implying that no teachers care.) Teaching, as with many other service professions, is a thankless job, and has become more so recently. In the homes many students come from, discipline is nonexistent (and parents are often absent, even in well-to-do families), so it should come as no surprise that students act inappropriately at school. But teachers are very limited by what they are allowed to do and say to students without fear of repercussions (lawsuits, etc.) I'm not talking about corporal punishment--I am talking about something as minor as giving a child a zero for an assignment he or she refuses to do--we are not even supposed to do that anymore because it might damage their self-esteem! (I teach high school)

All of the situations PP mentioned are also true--unfortunately, money dictates so much in our public schools anymore. I work in a wonderful school system, but, like most other systems, we are in the middle of budget cuts that will make the education of young people harder on everyone--staff reductions, facilities reductions, larger class sizes, fewer class offerings, no cost of living increases for teachers, etc.

That said, I love my job and my students, and I know I make a difference for a lot of them. At this point in the year (end of school), it is sometimes hard not to get frustrated with antsy students, end-of-year distractions and paperwork, etc. I would be willing to bet that the comments you are hearing and reading are coming from people who just need a "thank you for what you're doing" or a little break. My biggest pet peeve is when people say, "Oh, you have so much time off! You're so lucky!" Yes, teaching does afford me more time with my children than many people get, but I certainly don't leave the building at 3pm and leave it all behind--what people don't realize is that most teachers spend countless hours working at home too--if I was paid hourly, I'd be a millionaire!

Finally(since I've already written a novel...), the tenure system in many schools keeps people in the teaching profession who should move on. They get comfortable and are just there. Also, teacher training does not prepare anyone for another career if a change is needed--so they stick around and get frustrated. Anyway, just a little rant (and hopefully explanation) on my part...I'm sorry you've heard such negative things about public school teachers--most of us really do care!
Old 05-13-2010, 07:28 AM   #5
lostiejen
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My best friend is an exceptional ed teacher (she specializes in students with Autism) and the thing I always hear her say is that if she could just deal with her kids and teach them the way they need to be taught she would never have a bad day. It's the politics that gets in the way, the tests, the fact that even her students (most of whom have IQs scored well below 100) have to take basically the same standardized test that the rest of the school takes and she's held accountable for how they do, that's what frustrates her. And this girl has a Masters degree and several separate certifications so her dedication to her career is obviously beyond question.

You also have to accept that not all parents are like the lovely DS parents. And whatever these kids hear and learn at home goes right to school with them. I can't imagine standing in front of a room full of other peoples' kids and having to accept whatever energy they are throwing at me. That's so huge and I admire that there are people out there willing do do it.

There are bad eggs in every profession but I think it's important to recognize and support good teachers when we see them. And then, perhaps, we'll start seeing the good ones more often.
lostiejen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 07:43 AM   #6
nakedbabytoes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Oh yeah, sure, I am not implying that all teachers don't care & neither do students. There are many wonderful teachers & many caring & well behaved students.
There never is an "always" in anything.
I just mean where there are issues, that's where it lies. Lack of personal investment. Lack of caring.
Old 05-13-2010, 08:30 AM   #7
wooly_wonderful
Registered Users
Formerly: lxl***ca
seller

My Mood:

As a teacher I have to say I agree with the pps, our hands are tied. I teach in a somewhat low income area and we also moved to the same community so that I can live in the area that I teach. I believe living here gives me a better understanding of the community as a whole and what the kids are going through. I teach kinder and I see my students playing out in the street after dark, walking on busy streets alone, etc. Mind you these are the same students that make me My school was one that had a teacher put on administrative leave for something she did to a student. And, while I don't condone what she did and think it was 100% wrong, discipline, manners and respect start at home. That burden is falling on teachers more and more.

I would say the problem also lies with cuts in funding. Our schools are understaffed and many of the teachers are at their student max or just above the max. Those 2 things alone create a stressful work environment. Add to that testing, where we are responsible to make sure all students meet the goal no matter what their situation. You can also add lack of parental support and sometimes even the administration. I love my job, but sometimes it is just not easy and it's not only because of the kids.
wooly_wonderful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 08:48 AM   #8
frenchie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakedbabytoes View Post
I think it's really complex problem.
Kids can be very mouthy & defiant sometimes, lacking respect for others & not understanding boundaries.
Teachers hands are tied. Discipline is a very touchy subject, it seems an all or nothing thing anymore(no tolerance or complete lack of doing anything at all for fear of getting in trouble or sued)
Video recorders in the palm of your hand. Now there is video proof that someone is doing this or that, whereas before it was all heresay. Video proof is hard to refute.
Larger classes. Kids used to go to small schools with fewer kids & more one on one attention. Better for the kids, better for the teachers. Everybody was less stressed & felt like they mattered. When you have that sense of belonging, you try harder to be good together & help each other.

My English teacher was asked once what THE biggest problem in society is. He said "I don't care." He said when people stop caring, they stop trying. Things fall apart.
I think things have gotten too big. Kids don't care. Teachers don't care. People give up. It's sad.
YOu hit the nail right on the head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lxlzbaca View Post
As a teacher I have to say I agree with the pps, our hands are tied. I teach in a somewhat low income area and we also moved to the same community so that I can live in the area that I teach. I believe living here gives me a better understanding of the community as a whole and what the kids are going through. I teach kinder and I see my students playing out in the street after dark, walking on busy streets alone, etc. Mind you these are the same students that make me My school was one that had a teacher put on administrative leave for something she did to a student. And, while I don't condone what she did and think it was 100% wrong, discipline, manners and respect start at home. That burden is falling on teachers more and more.

I would say the problem also lies with cuts in funding. Our schools are understaffed and many of the teachers are at their student max or just above the max. Those 2 things alone create a stressful work environment. Add to that testing, where we are responsible to make sure all students meet the goal no matter what their situation. You can also add lack of parental support and sometimes even the administration. I love my job, but sometimes it is just not easy and it's not only because of the kids.
I can't tell you how many times I've heard other parents say, "Uhm, that's what I send my kids to school for." This is regards to manners, discipline, organization...and then of course, God forbid these parents have to spend time with their kids doing homework...that's what the teacher is for, to teach their kids, and they (the parents) don't want to have any part of it. I don't run into these kind of people too often anymore, now that I'm a homeschooler, and my circle of friends tend to be AP and/or homeschoolers. However, once in a while I have a conversation with a momma who feels it's the teacher's job to parent her child, and I end up having to walk away rather speechless. I'm afraid if I really share my opinion, I'll end up getting cold cocked in the mouth.
Old 05-13-2010, 08:54 AM   #9
pcjs
Registered Users

I agree with what Tiffany said about the cycle with the parents, teachers, principles and students, but at some points, from what I see parents are slacking off, getting very hands off and relaxed and wanting the schools to pick up on parenting issues but then grump when the schools are getting stricter due to the increased discipline issues. Its a catch-22. I think parents need to set up more and make behavior not acceptable at home and at school and have consistency and have it start young. Everyone needs to work together and stop the "oh, I'm so busy excuse... if you are so busy... don't have kids! and, if you do, don't have more!"
Old 05-13-2010, 08:58 AM   #10
n3w2cl0th
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I personally believe the problem starts at home. Too many parents are FAILING to parent...they are failing to do their jobs at home and expect the teachers to do it for them...and then they tie the teachers hands behind their backs...like PP said...Teachers TRY To teach in an enviroment similar to a battlefield...children dont sit and listen, some are disruptive and disrespectful and are an overall difficulty to be around...and when the teacher tries to do something about it (discipline of ANY kind) the failing parent comes to the school and raises a stink...and instead of supporting the TEACHER the principal supports the failing parent and perpetuates the cycle...essentially telling the child its ok because no one will hold YOU (the child) accountable for your actions...everyone ELSE is to blame...I had GREAT teachers ...I also had a GREAT mother who taught me respect... I subb'd in a few schools and I tell you...there are some really fantastic teachers who can't teach because of unrully students and failing parents...

Can you blame the teachers for "losing it"...I can't....

We as a society put TOO much of the responsibility on the Teacher and NO WHERE near enough responsibility on the PARENTS. Bad behavior starts at HOME...SCHOOLING starts at HOME... We have become a Blame Everyone Else society...its a DAMN shame...and I for one, will NOT be letting it happen in my house...