Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-13-2010, 11:31 AM   #1
taikkw5
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Furious at hospital/dr.

I am due with baby #3 in June and DH and I are trying to decide how we want to do the delayed vaccination schedule. DS#1 had a normal schedule (before we knew anything about delaying). He got horribly sick after every vaccination. I would literally plan to take a week off because he got so sick. With DD we requested a delayed vaccination schedule that was on her record and I just assumed that they would follow it (I was told by 2 nurses that they were required to look at her record before giving vacc.). In the hospital we specifically told them NO Hep B vaccine. This week I called the clinic and requested our children's vaccination records and just got them in the mail. It shows that DD got the Hep B vaccine in the hospital and the vaccines were following our delayed schedule until we switched from our family dr. to a pediatrician. I am absolutely furious! I know, of course, there's nothing I can do to change it now, but how dare they not follow what I request of them?! Just 2 weeks ago I found out from my midwife that the ped. we see is actually on the head of the vaccination board at the hospital and there have been complaints about him not doing delayed vacc. We decided to go back to our family dr. since he respects that. I am just in shock and needed to vent. I guess with this baby I'm going to need to have DH go with him when they take him for pics, hearing test, etc. to make sure they follow our requests. Sorry... I just needed to vent. Thanks for listening!

ETA: started looking closer and they gave her the flu shot when I said 'no' to that! We agreed to the H1N1 vaccine (a friend of the family's DD died from H1N1), but refused the actual flu vaccine. My heart is just a thumping I'm so mad!

Advertisement

WAHM behind Something Sweet Knits YYMN spots available!
Find me on Facebook! Something Sweet Knits

Last edited by taikkw5; 05-13-2010 at 11:34 AM.
taikkw5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 11:35 AM   #2
jessicalev8
Registered Users
seller

Re: Furious at hospital/dr.

They didnt ask you to sign something for the vaccine?? I just had DS 3 weeks ago and the nurse asked me if I wanted the hep b, I said no but if I had said yes I was supposed to sign a paper saying that I accepted it or whatever. Same thing happened with DD.

I know theres nothing you can do about it now.... but you have every right to be mad!
Old 05-13-2010, 11:45 AM   #3
taikkw5
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I could have sworn that I signed a form stating that I didn't want her to get the vaccination. I remember them bringing me a form before they took her away to do the hearing test, etc.

WAHM behind Something Sweet Knits YYMN spots available!
Find me on Facebook! Something Sweet Knits
taikkw5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 11:52 AM   #4
amphibology29
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by taikkw5 View Post
I could have sworn that I signed a form stating that I didn't want her to get the vaccination. I remember them bringing me a form before they took her away to do the hearing test, etc.
That form should be part of her records at the hospital. I would track it down. Ask for and keep a copy of all medical records in the future. It's not a bad idea to have all of your records in hand, even if you are 100% on board with everything the doctor wants.

DS was vaccinated up to 6 months and then we haven't vaccinated since, and when I told his pediatrician at 6 months that I didn't want to continue with the vaccines at the current time he told me he'd "let" me delay them for now. Then he still sent the nurse in with the syringes anyway.

In the end, you have full right to choose what medical procedures and interventions happen to your children. Sometimes you just have to demand it from doctors who act like they're above your authority with your own children.
Old 05-13-2010, 01:28 PM   #5
MaxCapacity
Registered Users
Formerly: newfluffma
seller

My Mood:

The only time I have to sign is to GET the vaccinations. I'm so sorry you're going through this.
Old 05-13-2010, 01:55 PM   #6
mary_jane
Registered Users

UGH! That is awful- really, really awful. Very sorry to hear that. I would never go back to the pediatrician.

When our DS was born, we did not leave him out of our sight once (between DH, myself and the various grandparents), b/c we knew that if we did not monitor everything they did to our son, they would not be following our instructions. Our Dr may not agree with all of our choices, but he respects that we are the people responsible for making those decisions for our children, and as such, he does not oppose us- but the nurses, that's another story! Many of them will do anything it seems to force the protocol, even against Dr or patient's wishes.

We had to make an emergency trip to our clinic yesterday after my DS's little hand was smashed in a door by an older child at MOPS. We had to see a pediatrician (dr on call) instead of our Dr since we needed an immediate appointment. After she had finished treating his hand, she said we should use this opportunity to "catch up the vaccines he had missed". I was shocked that she would suggest that after a 2 yr old had just spend the morning screaming himself to the point of exhaustion (first time in his life) from his injury that she would be so bent on those vaccines that she wanted to give them right then and there. It seemed odd. As if his immune system is going to be working par with that kind of stress! And he's only missing one series (MMR) at this point.
mary_jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 11:23 PM   #7
waited4ever
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
DS was vaccinated up to 6 months and then we haven't vaccinated since, and when I told his pediatrician at 6 months that I didn't want to continue with the vaccines at the current time he told me he'd "let" me delay them for now. Then he still sent the nurse in with the syringes anyway.
Funny "let" you delay. I dare any Dr to say some crap like that to hubby or me about our child they will get told so quick. We have already had our battles with the peds and baby is not even here yet. I have not even picked one and don’t intend to. I am looking for a family Dr. more for emergencies and true illnesses not so they can keep up with the FDA and CDC's recommended schedule to appease their benefactor's the pharmaceutical companies!

Wow the nerve of the hospital and the Dr for not following your request. I will not be letting our baby out of our site with the exception of some extreme emergency that she needs NICU. NO pics (we will take our own thank you), NO testing outside the room, and absolutely NO SHOTS! I know we are going to get much flux from the hospital but I don’t care, hubby and I don’t back down from anything we believe in and our child is definitely at the top of the list. I would make a formal complaint to the hospital, the local governing agency of your state over medical staff and hospitals, the AMA, and anyone else I could think of.

Some medical professionals think they are the be all and end all...like they are God!
Old 05-14-2010, 07:07 AM   #8
Junipervt
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

wow in the state I live the parent has to sign the child's chart to authorize the vaccine & is given an info sheet on the vac before it can be given.
Old 05-14-2010, 07:25 AM   #9
RobertsMomma3
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junipervt View Post
wow in the state I live the parent has to sign the child's chart to authorize the vaccine & is given an info sheet on the vac before it can be given.
SAme here.
RobertsMomma3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 08:29 AM   #10
mommyfrog
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertsMomma3 View Post
SAme here.
Same here. If she signed something that she thought was saying don't give her baby the shot, maybe it was really the permission slip to get the shot. KWIM?
Jeanie, wife of Paul, mommy of Aurora-20 and married (5/23/94), Oliver-18 (12/27/95), Simon-15 (9/11/98), Savannah-14 (4/9/00), Harrison-11 (2/26/03), Genevieve-9 (2/24/05), and Sebastian-6 (4/24/08), Precious Baby Girl (lost 8/10), Magnus-(4/26/14)
mommyfrog is offline   Reply With Quote