Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-13-2010, 11:41 AM   #1
dancermommy1
Registered Users
seller

GBS+ what can I do?

So far I've tested GBS+ twice. They'll test once more before I'm term. If it's + I'll have the antibiotic IV, and I'm fine with that (whatever it takes to protect my baby).

I've read you can also do some homeopathic treatments (which I'm interested in doing in addition to the antibiotics) but I can't find a resources that says what those treatments are.

GBS+ ladies...what did you do to make sure your baby was at the lowest risk possible? Did you take probiotics before & after birth to reduce the yeast infection (thrush) risk from the antibiotics? What probiotics do you recommend?

I know the transmission rate, even untreated, is pretty low, but I want to do anything within my power to protect the baby, and also whatever I can to prevent thrush problems from the antibiotics, later on.

Advertisement

Please Visit my ETSY store benefiting women and children in poverty! http://www.etsy.com/shop/conspiracyoflove

YOU can make a difference in developing countries, one precious child at a time! http://conspiracy-of-love.blogspot.com
dancermommy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 11:56 AM   #2
mkoller
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: GBS+ what can I do?

I was GBS+with both of my girls (one term, one preemie). Two doses of IV antibiotics wipes it out of your system for 24 hours before the baby is born. Your baby shouldn't get thrush since the antibiotics shouldn't be in colostrum and they should be out of your system in 24 hours. GBS poses NO risk to babies once they are out of the womb. Good luck!
mkoller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 02:07 PM   #3
cali4niachef
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

GBS Positive Treatment Plan
-by Karen Ehrlich, CPM, LM Also see: Strep B Holistic Approach

This is an anecdoatal experiment, designed to see if the following both treats GBS infection in the mother, and prevents the baby from getting infected/sick. If someone is trying to use this for prevention, I think that doing simple probiotics is a better idea. Please let me know what results you have if you choose to use this experiment.

This was designed for women who choose to be tested late in pregnancy (the current protocol is 36 weeks- I test at 34 weeks so there is time for the treatment to work if it is positive), whose culture is positive, and who are interested in getting clinical proof that they have eliminated the GBS from their system so they don't have to deal with medical alarmism about being GBS positive. However, if someone does test GBS positive, I recommend staying on the treatment through the rest of the prenancy, since GBS is known to come back when conventional antibiotic treatment is discontinued.

The plan was developed by a pregnant woman in San Francisco who tested positive for group beta strep. She was planning a homebirth, and wanted to avoid hospitalization and antibiotics. She successfully eliminated the bacteria from her genital/anal tracts. Her midwife has used it successfully with two other mothers, and is currently working with a fourth woman who is using this plan. That midwife tells me that it took about 3 weeks to obtain negative cultures, but that she could see that it was working after weekly tests because each subsequent culture showed less GBS growth. I tried it once, but the woman went into labor before she had the time to rid her system of the GBS.

I have added grapefruit seed extract, on the suggestion of another midwife who has used it successfully.

Twice a day, with breakfast and dinner:

•acidophilus - 4 billion cells per dose (The first time I heard a naturopath speak about preventing this infection in babies, he stated that using high doses of probiotics- acidophilus, bifidus, etc.- in the last weeks of pregnancy would prevent the problem.)
•echinacea - 350 mg capsules - two capsules (Note that some people are allergic to echinacea!- this is best used in the last couple of weeks of pregnancy only.)
•garlic - 580 mg capsules - two capsules
•vitamin C - 500 mg with 200 mg bioflavonoids
•grapefruit seed extract - 15 drops
A culture is done every week, to see if the bacteria are decreasing. Whatever the reading is closest to delivery is supposedly the most reliable.

If this regimen is successful at eliminating GBS, I would suggest staying on it until birth, to give the mother the best possible likelihood that it will not be present in her vagina at the time of birth.
EUPHORICBIRTH.COM
cali4niachef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 04:33 PM   #4
ClothMama1008
Registered Users
Formerly: An**ath
seller

I work in labor and delivery and haven't seen any problems with thrush following treatment for GBS. Enjoy your first kiddo!
ClothMama1008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 05:27 PM   #5
mommyshanti
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

weird they keep testing you
i thought in ob's eyes once positive always positive
since it can come and go any moment

took probiotics,eat garlic,lots of vit c
and then i did hibiclens in labor at home(no anbx)
Old 05-13-2010, 07:25 PM   #6
dancermommy1
Registered Users
seller

Well, I have started taking L. acidophilus and I eat a LOT of yogurt. I may add viatmin C. Maybe that will help.

Please Visit my ETSY store benefiting women and children in poverty! http://www.etsy.com/shop/conspiracyoflove

YOU can make a difference in developing countries, one precious child at a time! http://conspiracy-of-love.blogspot.com
dancermommy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 07:34 PM   #7
crunchymamaNY
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I was tested positive at 34 weeks. I was at a high risk of delivering early thats why I was tested at 34 weeks instead of the norm 36 weeks. Glad I was because I never tested positive before, AND I was tested pos for the first time at that time, AND delivered my baby at 36 weeks.
My water broke, and usually they like to deliver a GBS+ mama with her water broke within 18 hours where I go.
We did 1 antibiotic course of treatment via IV. They do IV antibiotics every 8 hours. But, I delivered in 7, so I was lucky.
I also ended up with an antibiotic in y 34th week anyway because I had a UTI. So, that may have cleared it up then anyway.

I wish u the best of luck mama!!!
Old 05-13-2010, 08:38 PM   #8
flame_chick
Registered Users
seller
seller

I had 3 neg, then last one #4 was +, and the IV meds burned in my arm. I will NEVER do that again. I am with a midwife now, and she has a diet and vitamins that you take that will help prep you for testing GBS - , and if you are + there is a vag wash
flame_chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 09:28 PM   #9
canadianbakers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Not that this makes me hungry, lol.
I tested positive with this pregnancy, never have tested positive with any of my previous 3, though.
*sigh* I'll be following this thread.
canadianbakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 09:33 PM   #10
lil_jodi
Registered Users

My Mood:

I was positive with both pregnancies. With the first, nothing special, just went in as soon as I had consistent contractions to get the antibiotics. Everything was fine. With this last pregnancy, since I was 3cm dilated and 70% effaced, once I hit 39 weeks, my doc induced to make sure we had plenty of time to get me the antibiotics. Good thing since I went quite fast once my water was broken. I have never had any thrush issues, either, but i eat a lot of yogurt (usually one a day), so maybe that helps.