Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-29-2006, 08:03 PM   #1
lots2learn
Registered Users
seller

HELP - stains??????

Okay, so this weekend Ian had some crazy weird poops - kind of reddish. Both times he was changed by DH, and he followed the same poopy diaper routine we always use - poop in toilet, rinse and lightly scrub diapers in cold water, throw in wetbag. Tonight I washed the diapers as usual (all Fuzzi Bunz FWIW) and these two dipes are stained COMPLETELY!!!! This really hasn't happened to me before, so I have no idea what to do. Help me please!! (You speak of sunning - will that help? What exactly does that mean?)

Advertisement

lots2learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 08:20 PM   #2
9800Emily
Registered Users
seller

Re: HELP - stains??????

I would sun the diaper, sunning works great for stains. To "sun" a diaper, you lay it in direct sunlight while wet and let it dry. I have had a few that needed to be sun twiced. It works best if you havn't dried the diaper yet, but I have had stains come out even after I have dried the diaper. HTH
9800Emily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 08:24 PM   #3
lots2learn
Registered Users
seller

Okay - I am going to give that a whirl tomorrow - maybe I'll lay them out on the deck before I go to work - I should be good to go that way I think.
Old 05-29-2006, 08:31 PM   #4
mommy2zander
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

the sun will be sure to help!! If you need another idea to try after, you can make a paste with baking soda, let that sit on the stain & then wash in hot! We have had great luck with both, sun & baking soda!
mommy2zander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 09:25 PM   #5
tiffany
Registered Users

definatetely sun.... you can also squirt lemon juice on them before putting them in the sun and that will help
tiffany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 09:56 PM   #6
tararaboomdeea
Banned
sitesupporter

Sun is the best cure for stains!
tararaboomdeea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 06:53 AM   #7
lots2learn
Registered Users
seller

Okay - on the subject of stains - what if there is diaper rash cream on the diapers? How do I get that out?
And what does it mean to "strip" your diapers?
Old 05-30-2006, 01:55 PM   #8
masonite
Whip Crackin Wagon Driver!
seller

My Mood:

Definitely try sunning---especially with lemon juice on the stains, that has always worked for me when regular sunning wouldn't.

Stripping your diapers is basically "stripping" them of any build-up. Basically build-up from laundry detergents, etc.

It seems like everyone has their own personal "recipe" for stripping dipes. I find that my diapers (I use mostly fb's as well) don't need stripping as often as my inserts do. My inserts tend to have stink issues well before I notice any problems with my diapers.

I usually strip them separately. To strip my inserts (mirco only--don't do this with hemp!) this is the routine I follow:

1. Cold water rinse, no detergent. (Always set water level to highest setting.)

2. Fill washing machine with HOT water.

3. Add Oxy clean (I use the Sun version of oxy clean) and detergent (only a small amount--again I use Sun detergent).

4. Soak inserts for 2-4 hours. (I usually do it overnight if they are bad.) Then wash through the cycle.

5. Do at least 2 hot/warm water rinses, adding lavender (or tto) to the final rinse.

6. Dry in dryer--or sun dry if you have stains that won't come out.

That's how I strip my inserts.

To strip my fb's, this is what I do.

1. Wash diapers with a couple squirts of Dawn (dishwashing liquid). Do an extra rinse.

2. Then wash a 2nd time with 1/2 c. baking soda and 1/2 c. vinegar in the rinse. Then, do a 2nd rinse with nothing in it.

3. Make sure the final rinse is clean (meaning no bubbles...). (If you have hard water, don't use baking soda and vinegar, just wash adding NOTHING until the bubbles are gone).

That's pretty much it. People strip their diapers with Dawn because it "cuts through grease", meaning it breaks apart the build-up that detergents can leave behind.

Anyway...those are the methods that work for me. Everyone kind of has their own system though...

HTH!