Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-17-2010, 04:31 PM   #1
heyuitsme
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
family laundry routine

do you wash everyone's clothes together...or separately? all on the same day...or spread out. not concerned with detergents (i.e. dreft for baby and a&h for everyone else)...just wondering if you've found a method that saves time sorting clothes before or after ...or from doing 5 loads a day!
right now i just wash when it starts to 'pile up'...about every other day-ish...but that can suddenly become 3+ loads by the time all the loose clothing and bathroom towels are added in. and doing a load a day of diapers.

Advertisement

heyuitsme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 04:34 PM   #2
oddduck
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: family laundry routine

We wash everyone's clothes together. One load a day, sheets and towels on the weekend.
Old 05-17-2010, 04:40 PM   #3
MamaNae
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I wash everyone's clothes together and do approx 1, sometimes 2 (if I have diaper laundry) a day.
Renae. Helpmeet to my hottie hubby, Josh. Devoted Mama to my Wolf scout-bookworm-sports-a-holic James (7), my Daisy Scout Princess Aldria (5) and my 2 year old Tornado Emmett and [COLOR="Magenta"] and my tiny squish Cora Paige! (May 2013)
MamaNae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 04:43 PM   #4
taikkw5
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I do laundry usually one day a week. I hate random folding and putting away of clothes. I'd rather it all be done at once. DD's clothes are usually done separately with some of DS's lighter-colored clothes tossed in. So I normally have: DD & some DS clothes, darks (usually 1-2 loads), whites and towels. Once DS2 arrives his clothes and DD's will be washed together. I never wash towels with clothes.

ETA: if you have your laundry room on the same level as living (I do not), what my mom has is a laundry sorter. It's 4 different mesh bags (they all hang in this thing), so that clothes just get tossed into their specific bag. Very easy sorting! I want one!

WAHM behind Something Sweet Knits YYMN spots available!
Find me on Facebook! Something Sweet Knits

Last edited by taikkw5; 05-17-2010 at 04:45 PM.
taikkw5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 04:44 PM   #5
Bellamoon
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i wash 3ish loads a day (diapers every third day (dd only uses them at night)) and it seems there is always more to wash. I don't separate, just clothes together, towels, linens etc..
Old 05-17-2010, 04:51 PM   #6
myfrugalfunlife
Banned- member requested
seller

I do one load of regular laundry a day (none on Sunday) and one load of cds every other day. I wash all our clothes together. We also reuse certain things several times before washing, like bath towels and jeans, so that cuts back on laundry.
myfrugalfunlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 04:53 PM   #7
heyuitsme
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i love ds.com...4 posts in 10 minutes is awesome.

I am sitting in my living room literally surrounded by 6 loads of laundry to fold (ok...usually it is not this bad, but was on a mini vacation and also bought probably two loads of clothes at rummages). It is just crazy the amount of clothes four people can generate. Babies just bring a whole new world of washing! I think I only did two loads a week before the kids were born. At least we have a washing machine...I lived in Kenya for a year during college and had to hand wash my clothes...couldn't imagine that now.
heyuitsme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 07:02 PM   #8
NorahsMom
Registered Users
seller

I wash about one load a day, sometimes more if we have bed wetting or other catastrophes or if all the cleaning rags are dirty. This is how we separate them: dd/ds clothes (this load actually gets washed a little more frequently than once a week), whites, darks, towels, diapers (2-3 loads a week), sheets, cleaning rags, etc.

I absolutely separate as I go. We have a three-compartment laundry sorter in our closet where we put mine and dh's whites and darks, as well as all towels. DD/DS's clothes are in a hamper in their bedroom. Cleaning rags get tossed in a bucket under the bathroom sink. Sheets get pulled off the beds and immediately tossed in the washing machine. I don't think I've sorted laundry since I lived at home with my mom.
Old 05-17-2010, 07:06 PM   #9
stringbean02
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i wash DH and mine together, DS seperatly. i just wash as the baskets get full. i wash towels/rags seperatly because i use bleach on them (theyre white), and i wash bedding when needed (usually once a week), seperatly, because i use bleach on it.

i dont seperate clothes by color or anything like that
Child passenger safety questions? Ask me, I'm a CPST!

Last edited by stringbean02; 05-17-2010 at 07:08 PM.
stringbean02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 07:51 PM   #10
redneckmama
Registered Users
Formerly: lilybugsmomma
seller

My Mood:

I wash everyones clothes seperatley. In our house everyone has their own hampers. Dh and I have seperate ones in our room, each girl has their own in their room, and then they each also have one in our room. We live in a 2 story house and their rooms are up stairs and our room is down. I was mine and dh's every weekend and the girls' get washed when their hampers are full which is usually once a week. Towels and sheets are also done on the weekends. We all use the same detergent.