Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-15-2010, 12:22 AM   #21
ktmelody
No Longer Here

My Mood:
Re: do you let your teen girl wear a bikini in public?

My DD is 13 and NO, I will not let her in public. She wont wear one anyways, nor will my 12 year old. They are quite modest. I would perhaps at 16+ allow one to be worn in public but it all depends on the actual suit. But until then, while I am purchasing the suits will not allow it. They have plenty of time to show off their bodies when they are adults no need to start as a young teenager. (this is not religious for reasons, just a household rule)

Advertisement

ktmelody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 02:11 AM   #22
whirlwindwoman
Banned

My Mood:

My nearly 12 year old is a C-cup and so we pick suits from the Jr or womens section (she's a size 3-5). She wears a tankini.
whirlwindwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 09:26 AM   #23
AshleyLD
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Tankinis.. I dont have a teen.. But i dont think that showing the goods.. Is good for anyone.
Old 05-15-2010, 09:32 AM   #24
Trauem Was Schoenes
Registered Users

My Mood:

I wouldn't have a problem with it but I consider a teen 15+ so a pre-teen would need to be in a tankini or something more modest.

I wear bikinis and as soon as I get this baby stomach flab off am planning too again so think it would be a bit strange to not allow a (hypothetical) daughter too.

Plus I personally feel that when you hit 16ish you are capable of making choices like that for yourself, it is part of becoming an adult. But that is just my opinion

I think if you don't feel comfortable with your daughter wearing a bikini- saying that those are just the house rules and she can wear one when she moves out would be a more then acceptable reason.
Old 05-15-2010, 10:00 AM   #25
doodah
Registered Users
seller

No, never. Shorts and shirts over a suit unless they are at home or swimming with just a few girls in a non-public place. There is no reason for girls or women of any age to be exposing so much of their bodies, I don't care what the "norm" is. There are plenty of things that are socially acceptable that I won't be a part of and will do what I can within reason to keep my girls from. I don't care if we are considered outcasts. I would rather be considered an outcast than sacrifice my daughters childhood, modesty and innocence in effort to be doing what everyone else is doing. I don't personally believe there is a such thing as a modest bikini.
doodah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 10:25 AM   #26
lovespepper
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodah View Post
No, never. Shorts and shirts over a suit unless they are at home or swimming with just a few girls in a non-public place. There is no reason for girls or women of any age to be exposing so much of their bodies, I don't care what the "norm" is. There are plenty of things that are socially acceptable that I won't be a part of and will do what I can within reason to keep my girls from. I don't care if we are considered outcasts. I would rather be considered an outcast than sacrifice my daughters childhood, modesty and innocence in effort to be doing what everyone else is doing. I don't personally believe there is a such thing as a modest bikini.
I agree with you....just so hard when your children live in the world, kwim?
lovespepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 10:46 AM   #27
isabelsmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmelody View Post
My DD is 13 and NO, I will not let her in public. She wont wear one anyways, nor will my 12 year old. They are quite modest. I would perhaps at 16+ allow one to be worn in public but it all depends on the actual suit. But until then, while I am purchasing the suits will not allow it. They have plenty of time to show off their bodies when they are adults no need to start as a young teenager. (this is not religious for reasons, just a household rule)
ITA with this. I have an almost 13 year old.
Old 05-15-2010, 11:56 AM   #28
NebraskaGirl82
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodah View Post
I'm just curious how you feel about men in just swim trunks...still exposing their chest?

I will let my girls wear them, no string bikinis or anything and I'll have to approve them. I wear a tankini now that I have stretch marks but wore a bikini for many years. Unfortunately, just covering your girls up or making them wear rash guards and the like isn't going to keep adult men from checking out your girls. I think sadly, if they are developed, no matter what they are wearing they will be checked out by guys. I've seen it myself.
NebraskaGirl82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 12:26 PM   #29
OrangeBananas
Registered Users
Formerly: Savannah+6
seller
seller

We don't have a daughter, but DH and I talked about it anyways and he said no way. I think I would be okay with a tankini type suit, depending on the cut, but he says no way lol!
Old 05-15-2010, 12:36 PM   #30
doodah
Registered Users
seller

My husband wears a shirt and swim trunks unless it is just me and him in a non public place. I do agree that there are men out there that will check out any female regardless of what is or is not covered. However, I am not going to let others or society dictate what is okay for my family. I can't stop others from doing what they are going to do but I can have some control of the decisions of my family. Modesty is a very important issue for us. I fully realize that I cannot protect my daughters from all the filthiness in the world around them but I will not be bringing this type of thing into their lives if I can help it and will certainly not give up on modesty because guys will check them out no matter what they are wearing. As parents, we have a responsibility to our kids to protect them in whatever way we can. I will not allow my girls to expose their bodies and will teach them to respect themselves AND others. As a wife, I don't other girls and women in bikinis around my husband. We do go places where this can happen but we try to go at times where it is not so crowded, we leave if the environment is not family friendly, etc. There are a million reasons why people think that bikinis are okay but none of that will change my mind. It is disgusting that we live in a world where those of us who choose modesty are deemed outcasts instead of praised for teaching our kids to respect their bodies. I myself am Latina and we do have bodies that develop at a very young age. I am well aware that my girls will be beautiful on the outside but I am focusing on them receiving attention and love for their inner beauty. Teaching modesty does not mean they will be taught to be ashamed of their bodies or not taught confidence. I will do everything I can to raise them as well rounded girls inside and out and I don't feel that immodest swimwear or clothing is a part of that.
doodah is offline   Reply With Quote