Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-15-2010, 01:31 PM   #31
Computermama
Banned

My Mood:
Re: do you let your teen girl wear a bikini in public?

While swimming in public? So long as it's reasonably modest, and I imagine I'll still be buying her clothes by then, sure. Wandering around out with friends? Nope - bathing suits are for swimming, she can change into regular clothing.

Advertisement

Computermama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 01:36 PM   #32
MrsLiberty
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NebraskaGirl82 View Post
Unfortunately, just covering your girls up or making them wear rash guards and the like isn't going to keep adult men from checking out your girls. I think sadly, if they are developed, no matter what they are wearing they will be checked out by guys. I've seen it myself.
I totally agree with this. I think any one of us can recall many occasions when we were underage, and got attention from grown men when we were wearing something far more than a bikini. Unfortunate though it may be, I don't think any girl is immune from that kind of thing, and I'm really not sure that wearing a bikini exacerbates it much, if any. That stuff will more than likely go on no matter what. I don't just blindly accept it, think it's good, or anything like that, but I do remember how it was for me and my friends at that age, and just kind of assume my daughter will deal with the same thing. Men haven't changed, and I doubt if they ever will.
MrsLiberty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 01:43 PM   #33
Fleece Be With You
Registered Users
OperaDiva
seller

Well I don't have a daughter, therefore haven't had this discussion with DH yet, but I think up until 16 definitely not, tankini style would be fine but we have veto power over any suit they pick if we think it's inappropriate. After 16, I would give a little more leniency and allow them to wear a bikini if it is one that isn't overly revealing.

If I have a daughter and she ends up proportioned like me, she won't really have a choice on wearing 2 piece suits. I have to wear a bikini because nothing else fits properly, I wear an XL top due to a large bust size and S bottoms. A 1-piece suit would look highly inappropriate on me as it would either be huge and baggy on the bottom to fit my top, or fit the bottom perfectly and have a Pam Anderson effect on top. Tankinis don't offer enough support up top for me.

Now that I'm seeing everyone talk about rashguards though, I may try to find one that goes with my bikini for the times I need more appropriate attire.
Jessica, wife to L (8-5-05) Breastfeeding, co-sleeping, non-vaxing, CDing, ECing, babywearing Mama to H (9-18-09), my miracle baby! TTC #2!
I make and sell Fleece side-snap ConvertoTrainers! WAHM page Hyenacart Facebook Page
My Ovulation Chart
Fleece Be With You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 01:53 PM   #34
n3w2cl0th
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have boys... but if I had a girl...she would wear what they wear... surfer board shorts and rash guard tops....her choices? Long sleeves or Short Sleeves...thats it. yea..and the shorts have to hit the knee....You look no less cute in this than you do in a bikini...you just look less provocative...and there is no need for a young girl to look provocative...I had huge boobs in my teens, and even in a one piece I was FAMOUS for my boobs popping out and saying hi!...because I was oblivious to my body and what it did when I wasnt looking... teenage girls have no idea how they truely look...they think its cute, their friends think its cute...and they just snicker and roll their eyes at the "pervy" old men who look at them...they have NO idea what kind of danger they can really be in...they have no idea what this kind of dress attracts... yes..I speak from experience and fear... I want no girl to go through what I went through to discover that the best defense against that is simply to cover up and be modest...one doesnt need to be half naked to have fun... Regardless of the current "style" or "social norm" there are plenty of girls who are popular and fun who don't dress skimpy or wear bikinis....I didnt get it then either...and who knows how to get a teenage girl to see that... this is the stuff that really makes me wish kids came with a frickin manual!
Old 05-15-2010, 03:45 PM   #35
mich*mommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NebraskaGirl82 View Post
I think sadly, if they are developed, no matter what they are wearing they will be checked out by guys. I've seen it myself.
Totally!! i about smacked a kid for checking out my DD when we walked into Meijer not too long ago!
Old 05-15-2010, 05:17 PM   #36
Circe
Registered Users
seller

I don't have a daughter, yet, but yes, I would. I can teach her to be modest and respect herself and still let her wear a bathing suit and even a bikini.

Circe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 06:04 PM   #37
lovespepper
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mich*mommy View Post
Totally!! i about smacked a kid for checking out my DD when we walked into Meijer not too long ago!

....lol, not that they were looking, but that you were ready to smack a boy....
lovespepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 06:38 PM   #38
mich*mommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovespepper View Post
....lol, not that they were looking, but that you were ready to smack a boy....
I know...totally makes me feel old...hahaha!
Old 05-15-2010, 06:44 PM   #39
crunchymom2b
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Okay, I had almost a whole reply typed out but I have a big feeling it will cause some very upset feelings over those who don't fully understand what I'm trying to say. So, because of that, I will only say this:

I don't see anything wrong with girls wearing appropriate two piece suits. I'm not talking about skimpy little bikini's that leave nothing to the imagination. I'm talking about well cut suits that look cute. I think as long as a girl is taught to respect her body and to carry herself well, she will be respected. I believe it's more about how you carry yourself rather than what you wear, to an extent.

I remember cringing at the bathing suits the Duggar's wear, I just cannot imagine something like that being the least bit comfortable. When I swim wearing shorts or tshirts and I get out, I feel like I weight a million pounds and I'm a big saggy whale. However, when I wear a well fitting bathing suit, whether 1 or 2 piece, I feel much more comfortable. But that's just my opinion. I fully understand those who don't want their daughter's wearing 2 pieces as a general house rule. everyone has their own views.

Alycia + Tom = 2 Labor Day babies! Tommy (9/09) + Vinny (9/12)
Under construction: unexpectedly expecting in 2015!
crunchymom2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 07:02 PM   #40
jraejohnson
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i just asked my dh if he would allow our dd to wear one when she is older. he said yes, but within reason. not too revealing or in appropriate but he said it would have to be after 16ish