Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-18-2010, 08:48 AM   #51
mich*mommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: do you let your teen girl wear a bikini in public?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaD777 View Post
Girl's wearing bikinis are just asking for the wrong kind of attention. !
Are you serious?? Please tell me you didn't just say that...

Advertisement

Old 05-18-2010, 08:52 AM   #52
lovespepper
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

For me, a dress and diaper is ok on a lo in public. The diaper more than covers all the private areas and the dress covers the rest. If a pervert is checking out my dd in public dressed like that, I am not sure that having little bloomers on her is going to stop it. I agree with others, when the little girl is in big girl undies, she needs to wear some sort of shorts or tights or leggings underneath the dress to prevent the flashing. I want my lo to be able to play hard and not worry about being a lady because she's in a dress. There will be time later on to teach her how to sit in a dress, etc....

Back to the original question, teens in bikinis can get all sorts of attention. And if the girl is not ready to handle it, I think we as parents need to help protect her.
lovespepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 08:56 AM   #53
musicalisa
Registered Users
seller

If that's what she's comfortable wearing, I have no problem with it. We're not talking about what she wears to school -- we're talking about a pool! I'm hopeful that my daughter will be comfortable in her own skin and certainly have no plans into shaming her into covering up when it's socially totally fine to have a bare midriff while sunbathing or swimming.

That said, when I was a teenager I was a competitive swimmer so all of my suits were full-coverage Speedos. She may be the same way; who knows. I didn't own a 2-piece until I was about 24 (and swimteam was a distant memory...).
musicalisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 10:26 AM   #54
crunchymom2b
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovespepper View Post
For me, a dress and diaper is ok on a lo in public. The diaper more than covers all the private areas and the dress covers the rest. If a pervert is checking out my dd in public dressed like that, I am not sure that having little bloomers on her is going to stop it. I agree with others, when the little girl is in big girl undies, she needs to wear some sort of shorts or tights or leggings underneath the dress to prevent the flashing. I want my lo to be able to play hard and not worry about being a lady because she's in a dress. There will be time later on to teach her how to sit in a dress, etc....

Back to the original question, teens in bikinis can get all sorts of attention. And if the girl is not ready to handle it, I think we as parents need to help protect her.

How is a diaper and a pair of little girls underwear that much different than eachother, other than they use one catch urine & poop while covering ones genitals, and the other is to simply cover ones genitals. The majority of underwear I've seen for little girls covers just as much as a diaper does. So why is it okay for one to be seen and not the other.

In general my point is that if a perv wants to check out your child, he's going to do so regardless of what they have on. I think not allowing bikinis as a general house rule, however, is an appropriate rule if that's what you believe, but the rule of modesty should be across the board, not just at certain ages, etc. I think saying a girl can't wear a bikini because its asking for the wrong attention isn't right. I didn't wear bikinis as a teen because I wanted all sorts of wrongful attention. I wore them because they were comfortable and I couldn't find a one piece that would fit my body. Most people wear what they do because they want to feel comfortable, not because they want to attract wrongful attention.

Alycia + Tom = 2 Labor Day babies! Tommy (9/09) + Vinny (9/12)
Under construction: unexpectedly expecting in 2015!
crunchymom2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 10:39 AM   #55
USMCgirl_05
Banned

My Mood:

Last edited by USMCgirl_05; 02-12-2012 at 10:00 AM.
USMCgirl_05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 10:45 AM   #56
MrsLiberty
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchymom2b View Post
How is a diaper and a pair of little girls underwear that much different than eachother, other than they use one catch urine & poop while covering ones genitals, and the other is to simply cover ones genitals. The majority of underwear I've seen for little girls covers just as much as a diaper does. So why is it okay for one to be seen and not the other.

In general my point is that if a perv wants to check out your child, he's going to do so regardless of what they have on. I think not allowing bikinis as a general house rule, however, is an appropriate rule if that's what you believe, but the rule of modesty should be across the board, not just at certain ages, etc. I think saying a girl can't wear a bikini because its asking for the wrong attention isn't right. I didn't wear bikinis as a teen because I wanted all sorts of wrongful attention. I wore them because they were comfortable and I couldn't find a one piece that would fit my body. Most people wear what they do because they want to feel comfortable, not because they want to attract wrongful attention.
I agree with you 100%. A perv is a perv, no matter what you're wearing. I also don't see anything wrong with people who have a house rule against certain types of clothing or swimsuits, but let's be realistic here. Covering up a little more is not going to protect anyone from the eyes of unsavory people. Some people may value modesty, and things like that, and that's cool. It's their choice. I'm still thinking those girls get checked out by just as many pervs as their bikini and daisy dukes clad counterparts. It's unfortunate, no doubt, but that's just the world.
Half redneck, half hippie, Libertarian, Army veteran, Engineer turned SAHM to one little princess (07/29/2003) and one future farmer (12/25/2008), and my little boobie monster (5/28/2011). Official partner in crime to my blue collar Adonis since 2004!

Wanna join Swagbucks?
MrsLiberty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 10:46 AM   #57
USMCgirl_05
Banned

My Mood:

Last edited by USMCgirl_05; 02-12-2012 at 10:00 AM.
USMCgirl_05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 10:46 AM   #58
escapethevillage
Registered Users

My Mood:

Mine is 17. We live in Phoenix, where it isn't unusual to see teens in bikinis. So, yes. She's very modest, and if she's at the waterpark or a public pool, she wears board shorts over the bottoms.

She's too long for a one peice anyway, so she actually looks more appropriate in a two peice.

At church camp, she wears a tankini.
Old 05-18-2010, 11:11 AM   #59
newbiemama
Registered Users
Formerly: justanauntie

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovespepper View Post
Specifically if the answer is no, why? tia!
i've thought about this a lot, and the answer is no. until she is at a point where she can buy her own clothes, she'll be wearing whatever we buy/approve of. and if she DOES decide to buy her own bikini, we will strongly STRONGLY encourage her NOT to wear it in public. as much as i want to give guys credit, they are sexual beings with many, many sexual thoughts and desires- way more than a woman can even comprehend. i don't want my daughter to be demoralized as someone's sexual fantasy or icon and if i can prevent that in any way- such as watching what she wears- then i will.

newbiemama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 11:32 AM   #60
newbiemama
Registered Users
Formerly: justanauntie

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodah View Post
My husband wears a shirt and swim trunks unless it is just me and him in a non public place. I do agree that there are men out there that will check out any female regardless of what is or is not covered. However, I am not going to let others or society dictate what is okay for my family. I can't stop others from doing what they are going to do but I can have some control of the decisions of my family. Modesty is a very important issue for us. I fully realize that I cannot protect my daughters from all the filthiness in the world around them but I will not be bringing this type of thing into their lives if I can help it and will certainly not give up on modesty because guys will check them out no matter what they are wearing. As parents, we have a responsibility to our kids to protect them in whatever way we can. I will not allow my girls to expose their bodies and will teach them to respect themselves AND others. As a wife, I don't other girls and women in bikinis around my husband. We do go places where this can happen but we try to go at times where it is not so crowded, we leave if the environment is not family friendly, etc. There are a million reasons why people think that bikinis are okay but none of that will change my mind. It is disgusting that we live in a world where those of us who choose modesty are deemed outcasts instead of praised for teaching our kids to respect their bodies. I myself am Latina and we do have bodies that develop at a very young age. I am well aware that my girls will be beautiful on the outside but I am focusing on them receiving attention and love for their inner beauty. Teaching modesty does not mean they will be taught to be ashamed of their bodies or not taught confidence. I will do everything I can to raise them as well rounded girls inside and out and I don't feel that immodest swimwear or clothing is a part of that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by n3w2cl0th View Post
I have boys... but if I had a girl...she would wear what they wear... surfer board shorts and rash guard tops....her choices? Long sleeves or Short Sleeves...thats it. yea..and the shorts have to hit the knee....You look no less cute in this than you do in a bikini...you just look less provocative...and there is no need for a young girl to look provocative...I had huge boobs in my teens, and even in a one piece I was FAMOUS for my boobs popping out and saying hi!...because I was oblivious to my body and what it did when I wasnt looking... teenage girls have no idea how they truely look...they think its cute, their friends think its cute...and they just snicker and roll their eyes at the "pervy" old men who look at them...they have NO idea what kind of danger they can really be in...they have no idea what this kind of dress attracts... yes..I speak from experience and fear... I want no girl to go through what I went through to discover that the best defense against that is simply to cover up and be modest...one doesnt need to be half naked to have fun... Regardless of the current "style" or "social norm" there are plenty of girls who are popular and fun who don't dress skimpy or wear bikinis....I didnt get it then either...and who knows how to get a teenage girl to see that... this is the stuff that really makes me wish kids came with a frickin manual!
i loooooove these posts!! totally agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchymom2b View Post
I'm really curious about one thing- for those of you who say no way to teens wearing bikinis, how many of you let them wear little dresses with just a diaper underneath as a baby/toddler, or let them walk around in just a diaper? Same with little boys- if you won't allow you son to go topless now, did you let them as babies/toddlers? I've seen this lots of times and I just don't get it- shouldn't the rule be universal, regardless of age? Love to hear some thoughts :-)
i say no to teens, pre-teens, and children wearing bikinis (boys AND girls, for that matter ) you have to understand the difference is, most men who are attracted to children are attracted to pre-teens. typically they're not physically attracted to young toddlers, for instance wearing bikinis. (i could go into details more, but i'd rather not). but either way modesty is modesty despite their age. if you have a rule for no bikinis when they're teens, then they shouldn't be allowed to wear them when they're young, either! as for boys, running around shirtless is a different issues, because they're chests aren't an obvious sexual body part, like what gets shown off when a female will wear a bikini.

**keep in mind, when i say bikini i mean bikini, a tankini is different because it doens't show off the stomach**

Last edited by newbiemama; 05-18-2010 at 11:33 AM.
newbiemama is offline   Reply With Quote