Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-14-2010, 08:22 PM   #1
Chessie
Registered Users
seller

Working 10 to 12 hour days - can I prevent early labor?

The work load has gotten rough lately and I'm not sure that any exceptions will be made for me. I'm about 28 weeks and today I worked 11.5 hours. I started having some bh contractions, that I've never had before. They went away after I drank a lot of water, but it got me nervous. Other than the obvious of getting more rest are there other things I can do to prevent an early labor? Fortunately I'm mostly sitting down, but there is a lot of stress, and pressure to not take breaks other than lunch.

Advertisement

Old 05-14-2010, 08:36 PM   #2
bettyboop3789
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Working 10 to 12 hour days - can I prevent early labor?

I would ALWAYS get them towards the evening, when i got tired, so just make sure to stay off ur feet, drink alot of water, and slow down...its hard tho when ur at work. i was always at home and just knew it was time to go to bed, well, after the first time in the ER b/c of them that is...
bettyboop3789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 08:37 PM   #3
breefawn
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I have the same issue...I finally had to tell my boss that I just can't do long days. I see that you work at home...are you working for yourself or someone else? If it's someone else, let them know that you'll be far more productive if you can take your breaks (and work some normal hours! LOL).
Old 05-14-2010, 08:50 PM   #4
Carey-Anne
Registered Users

My Mood:

Can you get a footrest that puts up your feet, ideally higher than or as high as your hips. That will really help a lot.

I get bh cramps all the time too but they are worse the more active I am. If I can put up my feet that really helps. Drinking lots fluids should help too.

I am also a WAHM who sells Avon and Regal gifts. Please e-mail me for a catalogue or website catalogue link
Carey-Anne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 08:05 AM   #5
Chessie
Registered Users
seller

Well I have my WAHM business that I still keep up. I couldn't make ends meet with it alone so I had to get an out of home job. I would really like to avoid a premature baby, and besides that if I have the baby too early I won't have been there long enough to get FMLA and I would have to leave the job anyways. So I'm trying to judge at what point is it too much risk? I do have my feet up, but I might be needing more water than I've been drinking. It's easy when you're focused to forget to drink. The problem is work is over when the work is done, so I feel a lot of pressure trying to concentrate to write reports fast enough so that I'm not there all night. It's just so hard to tell when is it something I can just make it through, where I would get some good maternity benefits plus keep a good paying job, or when is it too much risk to the health of my baby. I just have no idea, with my son I only worked part time and then took the last month off of my pregnancy and stayed home for 8 more months.
Old 05-15-2010, 11:54 AM   #6
Pikemommy
Registered Users
seller

Do braxton Hicks mean pre-term labor? I didn't know that..... With my first I worked 11hr. days on my feet the whole time, pushing heavy U/S equipment around a hossy, and bending and turning in all kinds of directions to get my scans done. I had braxton hicks but I thought they were just normal and I also had high BP and Gestational Diabetes. I worked up until 5 days before I delivered, no issues. My OB said keeping moving was good to keep my sugars regulated, so as long as my BP didn't go to high and I didn't get pre-e I kept working my normal load. (although I'm sure not as fast and effective as I did it not preggo!)
S 3/15 7lbs 15oz 20.5in
Pikemommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 11:59 AM   #7
Carey-Anne
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikemommy View Post
Do braxton Hicks mean pre-term labor? I didn't know that..... With my first I worked 11hr. days on my feet the whole time, pushing heavy U/S equipment around a hossy, and bending and turning in all kinds of directions to get my scans done. I had braxton hicks but I thought they were just normal and I also had high BP and Gestational Diabetes. I worked up until 5 days before I delivered, no issues. My OB said keeping moving was good to keep my sugars regulated, so as long as my BP didn't go to high and I didn't get pre-e I kept working my normal load. (although I'm sure not as fast and effective as I did it not preggo!)
BH do not necessarily mean pre-term labor. They are normal and to be expected with pregnancy, but if your activites cause them to occur really frequently then sometimes your Dr will want you to slow down. It really depends on your individual circumstances. I am at risk for pre-term labor so if I start to do too much I get frequent BH. My Dr says I should put up my feet, to try to rest as much as possible as otherwise in my situation, I could be increasing my chances of the baby coming early.

I am also a WAHM who sells Avon and Regal gifts. Please e-mail me for a catalogue or website catalogue link

Last edited by Carey-Anne; 05-15-2010 at 12:08 PM.
Carey-Anne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 07:51 PM   #8
3rockstars
Registered Users
Formerly: FaeryGnomeHome
seller

avoid caffeine and salt as they will dehydrate you. drink a ton of water. if you are typing at a computer, you can set the computer's alarm to remind you to drink water. i used to do that at an old job where a little window would pop up at specified intervals to remind me of appts and thing I needed to remember(like drinking water!). if you aren't at a computer or it doesn't have that feature, try setting your cell phone alarm to go off every 30 minutes or every hour so it breaks your focus long enough to remind you to drink water.
Old 05-16-2010, 08:06 PM   #9
Weecycled Woolies
Registered Users
seller

I had the same problem and unfortunetly I did end up having a preemie, but it was also to do with the fact that my dd before him was a preemie too. I did make it further with him though.

With that said, I was working the same amount about 60 hours a week, but I was on my feet the whole time (fast food ugh).

I got a note from my doctor that I was to sit down with my feet elevated for 15 min. of every hour. Once I started that routine, my BH slowed down a whole lot. I also had to almost double my water intake. I didn't always rest every hour, I kept going as long as I felt ok.

Also, the key to helping it all was more sleep! I went to bed earlier, usually with the kids around 7:30. The dishes didn't get done as often, and we were always running out of clean clothes. We made it though and it was only for a few months.

I hope you can find something that works for you and your lo stays put till term