Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-16-2010, 08:06 AM   #1
Loveme2x
Registered Users

My Mood:
Toddler bed or straight to twin?

Hey there!

I'm expecting #2, so DS (15mo) will be getting the boot from his crib soon. I'm not sure what kind of bed to get for him, what are the pros and cons of each? Are there any real compelling reasons to go with a toddler bed first? If we do a twin, we will put a side-rail on it (have one from SIL, yay!). I also found an inexpensive brand new twin sized daybed on CL that has the pull out trundle, I sort of like that idea, too, to wean him off of the side rail with a little insurance incase he rolls out.

Thoughts? Thanks mamas!

Advertisement

.married to my BFF (9/05).
cautiously with #2 (7/1/11)
Loveme2x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 08:41 AM   #2
Indianamom*2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Toddler bed or straight to twin?

When DD was 12mo, she went into a toddler bed but she hated it because she is a wild sleeper. She ends up sideways and upside down several times. She will do a complete circle by the time she wakes up in the morning. lol She ended up in our bed again until she was 2.

For her 2nd bday, we bought her a new bed. We decided to bypass the twin and got her a kids fullsized.

We went with the fullsized because it will last her a lot longer and there were times when I had to crawl into the toddler bed with her for cuddles to go back to sleep and actually woke up in the toddler bed the next morning.

She has plenty of room in the fullsize and if need be, I can sleep with her and not be cramped.

I have honestly never seen the point of a twin bed unless you have to get 2 beds in the same room.
Old 05-16-2010, 08:44 AM   #3
InnerFlowerChild
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Our DS was a crazy sleeper, so we put him straight into a twin. We just had the mattress on the floor while he got used to it. He rolled off a few times, but no harm done. No extra $$ spent for rails!

Thirty-One Gifts Independent Consultant

InnerFlowerChild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 10:49 AM   #4
UnderTheStars
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I truly don't understand toddler beds - they are used for such a short amount of time, why not just get a twin bed or full bed either with rails or right on the floor? You're not looking at a height difference that way and doing that will allow you keep the same mattress for many years.
Old 05-16-2010, 11:24 AM   #5
huntingflower
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think toddler beds aare a waste of money. We went from a 4 in 1 crib .. took the one side off and put up the rails and then when DS was 26 months old we bought him a twin size car bed. He loves it.. even more so because mommy fits in there too. hehe

huntingflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 11:34 AM   #6
Gitrecca
Registered Users

Yeah, another vote for no toddler bed. We went straight to a twin mattress on the floor, which we both fit in for when I need to cuddle him. Works great! He hasn't fallen off, yet, but if he does, definitely no biggy!
Old 05-16-2010, 11:42 AM   #7
MrsLiberty
Registered Users

My Mood:

Both my kids went straight from the crib to a twin bed. Well, more accurately, they went to a twin mattress set that we put directly on the floor so if they fell, they wouldn't fall far. My daughter was a really heavy sleeper, so we never even put side rails on it for her. We just put a pillow between her and the edge, and she never rolled over it. She never once fell out. My son is a wild man, 24/7, so we put side rails on his bed, and he still fell out a couple times, but really after about a week in the big bed, he got the hang of it.

I really cannot think of any pro to getting a toddler bed instead of a twin bed, because they're just going to end up in a twin bed anyhow.
Half redneck, half hippie, Libertarian, Army veteran, Engineer turned SAHM to one little princess (07/29/2003) and one future farmer (12/25/2008), and my little boobie monster (5/28/2011). Official partner in crime to my blue collar Adonis since 2004!

Wanna join Swagbucks?
MrsLiberty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 11:49 AM   #8
diapermommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We always transition with a toddler bed. We bought a really cool firetruck bed for our first ds, he was in it till about age 4. Then my 2ds used it also, till he was about 4. My dd is almost 3 and still in her crib. Her crib converts to a toddler bed, and we'll use that in the near future. I just like the cute little beds I guess. I think either way is fine though!
Old 05-16-2010, 06:28 PM   #9
Loveme2x
Registered Users

My Mood:

Thanks mamas!

The cool thing about this daybed I want to go look at is that it has the pop-up trundle, so if I'm needed for nightmare cuddle sessions, I can lay right next to DS on the pop-up, which is also twin-sized, so it's like 2 twin beds next to eachother.

This thread has me thinking, though, because it hadn't occured to me...we already have a spare full-sized bed, maybe we should just use that? It's pretty high up off the floor, though, unless we took it off the frame. I suppose we could save it for when DS is bigger and then let LO #2 take the daybed then?

Decisions decisions...
.married to my BFF (9/05).
cautiously with #2 (7/1/11)
Loveme2x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 06:52 PM   #10
nemawei
DS Addict!
seller

My Mood:

We also opted to skip the toddler bed. DD went straight to a full size bed. First on the floor, then we added the bed frame.

I bought a side rail but we barely used it... ended up being a waste of money. However, she is 2 now and I still put a pillow under the blankets about a foot and half from the top of the bed, to prevent her from rolling out (not that she ever has .. and my ex does not put the pillow there when he puts her to bed).

Forgot to add my reason - DD never really slept in her crib, so transitioning to the bed was also transitioning to consistently sleeping in her own room. I thought it would be helpful if I wanted to lay with her.

Oh, and I wanted her to have a full size bed growing up

Last edited by nemawei; 05-16-2010 at 06:55 PM.
nemawei is offline   Reply With Quote