Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-16-2010, 09:04 AM   #1
mmmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Why are people so weird about my son wearing pink? mini vent

My son loves pink, it is and has been his favorite color for some time, he is currently wearing a fuchia shirt that is the eact color of his sisters skirt With spring came pink polos, we buy him them when ever we find them so are always on the look out. We have only found 2 so far but I am sure we will find a couple more.

Anyways whenever I am with a friend looking or ask a salesperson I get the same reaction. "What does his Dad say about that?" I usually just explain that his Dad could care less what color he wears especially when it makes it so easy to get him dressed when he is wearing something he likes. This is usually followed by "he is definately not like most dads" Really most dad's wouldn't let their kid wear something they like because of a color. Am I missing something? Would your DH/SO/Son's father have issue with you son wearing pink?

Advertisement

Old 05-16-2010, 09:11 AM   #2
Cussin' Crafter
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Why are people so weird about my son wearing pink? mini vent

I let my children wear whatever color they choose, and DH totally agrees. In our family we do not enforce gender roles, 'girl toys' and 'boy toys', or dressing our children in certain colors. It really creeps me out that people try to stick babies and children in gender specific boxes so early in life.

I'm expecting and I've saved all my clothes from my DD for the next baby and I will be reusing all the clothing. My mom keeps buying little blue things (even though we don't know the sex yet) because she doesn't like the idea of me putting pink on my baby boy.

Last edited by Cussin' Crafter; 05-16-2010 at 09:13 AM.
Cussin' Crafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 09:12 AM   #3
GEM Cloth
Registered Users
Formerly: michellemomx3
seller

My Mood:

Depends on if it's a boy's shirt or a girl's shirt. A boy's polo style or button-down shirt would be fine, it's a boy's shirt and my DH he wears pink polo-style and button-down shirts himself. Our DS doesn't wear girls' clothing and our girls don't wear boys' clothing.
GEM Cloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 09:15 AM   #4
mommyfrog
Registered Users

Our sons have all worn pink. Our oldest went through a stage at around 10 when it was his favorite color. He had a couple of pink shirts. One said something like "Real boys wear pink". Second son did the same thing around age 9. Third son hasn't yet. Last son has a beautiful pink Radian car seat!! It was passed down from his sister and I love it. He also wears pink diapers, lots of them with an older sister and two older girl cousins. Dad does not care. He will wear pink dress shirts with flowered ties.

My 7 year old also pointed out the other day that purple is made by mixing red and blue, two colors people say are boy colors, so boys can definitely wear purple. Smart kid!!

ETA: I just read somebody else's post that their dh is color blind so he doesn't care. So is my oldest ds who was the most "into" pink!! Strange since he really couldn't see it the same way we do. I tend to forget he is color blind because he doesn't bring it up and has learned to tell colors apart pretty well.
Jeanie, wife of Paul, mommy of Aurora-20 and married (5/23/94), Oliver-18 (12/27/95), Simon-15 (9/11/98), Savannah-14 (4/9/00), Harrison-11 (2/26/03), Genevieve-9 (2/24/05), and Sebastian-6 (4/24/08), Precious Baby Girl (lost 8/10), Magnus-(4/26/14)

Last edited by mommyfrog; 05-16-2010 at 07:17 PM.
mommyfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 09:15 AM   #5
MichaelsMama
Registered Users
seller

DH doesn't do pink. So DS doesn't do pink. But he does have dolls and other "girl" toys.
Old 05-16-2010, 09:19 AM   #6
simplykat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My son doesn't like pink, but if he did i'd let him wear it. He picks out his clothes every day. Most are hand me downs, but quite boyish, although some are his sisters. He's super into trucks, guitars etc. BUt, he also has longish hair, and gets called a girl all.the.time. I don't get it at all, but ppl are weird with their gender biases.

Wanna check our our Challenge?
http://boaktree.wordpress.com/
simplykat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 09:20 AM   #7
mmmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cussin' Crafter View Post
I let my children wear whatever color they choose, and DH totally agrees. In our family we do not enforce gender roles, 'girl toys' and 'boy toys', or dressing our children in certain colors. It really creeps me out that people try to stick babies and children in gender specific boxes so early in life.

I'm expecting and I've saved all my clothes from my DD for the next baby and I will be reusing all the clothing. My mom keeps buying little blue things (even though we don't know the sex yet) because she doesn't like the idea of me putting pink on my baby boy.
See this is exactly my thoughts as well. My son loves getting his sisters hand me downs, his current favorite pair of PJ's are pink Dora ones. I also had a girl first and 20months later my son was born, I thought it would be wasteful to buy all new stuff so pink sleepers, balnkets crib sheets you name it they were all reused.
My dd on the other hand loves Transformers, and is currently wearing an Optimus Prime shirt with her pink gauze skirt
Old 05-16-2010, 09:22 AM   #8
raindrop_333
Registered Users

My Mood:

The boys-wearing-pink issue really annoys me. I'd let my son wear pink if he wanted to.
raindrop_333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 09:41 AM   #9
Crew&West
Registered Users
Formerly: Crewsmom
seller

My DH does pink, purple, yellow, lavendar... in men's shirts ofcourse and I think it's sexy. My DS actually doesn't own any (all his clothes are hand me downs from another friend) but if he had it I'd let him wear it! I really don't get why certain colors are gender specific... girls can wear blue can't they?! Who made that up anyway? Heck my 20mo old son has a baby doll and a Prince Charming barbie doll. DH drew the line when he wanted "stacie". hahaha.
Old 05-16-2010, 09:44 AM   #10
mmmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew&West View Post
My DH does pink, purple, yellow, lavendar... in men's shirts ofcourse and I think it's sexy. My DS actually doesn't own any (all his clothes are hand me downs from another friend) but if he had it I'd let him wear it! I really don't get why certain colors are gender specific... girls can wear blue can't they?! Who made that up anyway? Heck my 20mo old son has a baby doll and a Prince Charming barbie doll. DH drew the line when he wanted "stacie". hahaha.
LOL MY son loves barbies but has the advantage of a big sister who he borrows from. He does have one of his own, a mermaid barbie from the movie that he got a McDonalds, the guy there was seriously freaked out and must have asked me 5 times if I was sure I needed 2 girl toys.