Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-16-2010, 10:30 AM   #21
UnderTheStars
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Why are people so weird about my son wearing pink? mini vent

There was a thread just like this a while back and one mama's LO (can't remember who) had said "Colors are for everyone!" and I LOVE that!

Advertisement

Old 05-16-2010, 10:32 AM   #22
crunchymom2b
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

DH would throw a fit if I ever put anything pink or purple on DS. I'm not a big fan of pink & purple for boys, but I could care less if I see other boys/men wearing those colors. But these are just my thoughts- how boring would it be if we all felt the same way about everything!

What I really hate though is when people automatically assume a guy is gay or "girly" because they wear pink. Like I said, not my cup of tea, but I know plenty of very manly guys that wear men's clothing that are pink. But it's a stereotype that's rampant and I'd hate for my DS to be called gay because of his clothing choice. I wish people would grow up already.

Alycia + Tom = 2 Labor Day babies! Tommy (9/09) + Vinny (9/12)
Under construction: unexpectedly expecting in 2015!
crunchymom2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 10:38 AM   #23
jodi74
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My oldest son has on occasion worn a shirt with pink in it. However my soon to be 4 yr old son cried last week when I tried to put him in a pink button down dress shirt. I think the choice is theirs.
jodi74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 10:41 AM   #24
forever_loved25
Registered Users

My husband had a problemm with our son wearing pink before he was born. I had gotten a great deal on some diapers that were pinks, and other girly things, DH threw a fit, until he came to realize it's just a color and it doesn't mean anything.
Old 05-16-2010, 10:43 AM   #25
sUpermOm81
Do not B/T with. Contact ~happy2Bamommy~ if involved in a transaction.
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by seeinstarrz View Post
There was a thread just like this a while back and one mama's LO (can't remember who) had said "Colors are for everyone!" and I LOVE that!
I hardly never see boys pink onesies or shirts
Not a big deal to me, just saying. They are always in the girls section.
Old 05-16-2010, 11:16 AM   #26
Nanner99
Registered Users
seller

I remember when my (now grown) cousin LOVED The Little Mermaid and had the shoes. We all got a good laugh out of it (he was about 4 yrs old). My boys both have baby dolls and they love their older sister's barbie doll. My 4 yr old also likes lip gloss. Who cares? They are kids. My now 4 yr old wanted to wear his sister's old witch costume for Halloween and I was ready to let him but my dh didn't like that, so we bought him Spiderman. He is pretty open to the boys playing with girl stuff and all that, but not actually wearing girl clothes.

Last edited by Nanner99; 05-16-2010 at 11:17 AM.
Nanner99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 11:17 AM   #27
JAG's baby mama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchymom2b View Post
What I really hate though is when people automatically assume a guy is gay or "girly" because they wear pink. Like I said, not my cup of tea, but I know plenty of very manly guys that wear men's clothing that are pink. But it's a stereotype that's rampant and I'd hate for my DS to be called gay because of his clothing choice. I wish people would grow up already.
As long as people think you can "become" gay as opposed to being born that way (just like you are born heterosexual), you will find people who think "things" like colors, dolls, and a love of cooking make you gay.

At some point you just have to say that you believe the world is round (or the earth revolves around the sun, or <insert here> any myth people used to believe that we incontrovertibly know to be false now) and move on.

I don't care that my son wears girly anything, but because he is often confused already for a girl (he's kind of "pretty") I simply don't dress him in public in unisex or ambiguous clothing just to avoid having to correct every person who calls him a her. Other than this, DH agrees.
Old 05-16-2010, 11:19 AM   #28
huntingflower
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My husband puts his foot down on the pink. There is no way in hell he would let our DS wear pink. Not sure why... I am asking him now and he says pink is gay unless you are in the 80's. Even though I pointed out that the 80's is back style wise and he said it dosn't matter... there is no pink allowed. So there we have it. That is the reason why most men do not want their boy child wearing pink. Scared it might "turn" them gay? rediculous.. yes he is.

Myself I don't really care if he wore pink. I like some of the boys clothing that is pink and I let DS play with dolls (though I am sure DH doesnt agree if he seen it). I had DS wearing his silky as a sling with his baby in it the other day. hehe

huntingflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 11:22 AM   #29
army_princess
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

DH agrees that our kids can wear what ever colors they want....

DH let me do this to DS once....:

army_princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 11:39 AM   #30
lemon_parade
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

What is this "pink" that you're asking about? You must mean LIGHT RED! (Go on, think about it...)

DS can like whatever color he wants - and yes, he does have some pink/purple/"girly" dipes

lemon_parade is offline   Reply With Quote