Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-16-2010, 09:15 AM   #1
AshleyLD
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Please help me...

I dont have ins yet. so no Dr to call... But i feel like cr@p. I have a really bad cold.. And everything says to consult a Dr if you are preggo. I just about cried last night reading the meds in my cabinet.

I really want to know if Alka selser is okay? Its the only thing that makes me feel better fast. Does anyone know?

Thank you!!!

Advertisement

Old 05-16-2010, 09:19 AM   #2
BootyGold
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Please help me...

Depends on what's it in...

http://babyfit.sparkpeople.com/ask-t...rs.asp?inID=75

Sorry you feel like crap
Old 05-16-2010, 09:20 AM   #3
BootyGold
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

You can try benadryl and tylenol, they're safe. Also, rinsing with a neti pot can help with congestion
Old 05-16-2010, 09:28 AM   #4
AshleyLD
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Thank you!
Old 05-16-2010, 11:52 AM   #5
Graceless1
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

sudafed is what my OB suggested.
Old 05-16-2010, 12:48 PM   #6
NavyMommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

www.safefetus.com is my go to website when I'm looking at meds. They have the FDA ranking along with why they're rated the way they are.
Old 05-16-2010, 02:29 PM   #7
hadfield531
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

All I know is it's better to be safe than sorry. I never took anything with my first 3 kids and they turned out fine. With this pregnancy, I was sick with virus after virus for my first 3 months, and caved a few times, because I was such a basketcase from the misery. We just found out our baby has some heart problems, and no one can tell me for certain that I didn't cause it. Eventhough certain meds are supposedly considered "safe". Now I blame myself. Because it's the only thing I've ever done differently with this pregnancy. Honestly, use saline nasal spray and use nasal rinses. Eat lots of raw garlic. Take the alternative route, because it's not worth the stress of wondering if you did something to your baby when you find out further down the road that something is wrong.
Old 05-16-2010, 02:36 PM   #8
MommyToNicolas
Registered Users

My Mood:

i had a horrible cold when i was prego and was just suffering through it, MISERABLY... well i had one of my appts while i was still sick and my dr said "well ya know, sudafed is perfectly ok" like i was supposed to know!! lol so apparently sudafed isnt on the no-fly list. hope you feel better soon nothing like being pregnant AND sick.
Old 05-16-2010, 03:55 PM   #9
hadfield531
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyToNicolas View Post
i had a horrible cold when i was prego and was just suffering through it, MISERABLY... well i had one of my appts while i was still sick and my dr said "well ya know, sudafed is perfectly ok" like i was supposed to know!! lol so apparently sudafed isnt on the no-fly list. hope you feel better soon nothing like being pregnant AND sick.
I just have to add in here that just because OBs say something is safe, doesn't necessarily mean it is. Do your own research and talk to a pharmacist (or several). Sudafed is NOT safe. Babies whose mothers have taken it during pregnancy--specifically during the first trimester--have been reported to be born with a condition that causes the intestines to grow OUTside of the body. I started researching it, because my doctor was really pushing it with how sick I was and I didn't feel right about it. Then I spoke to my pharmacist and I asked if it's safe in the first trimester. His response was exactly this: "I wouldn't recommend it during ANY point in the pregnancy--it's a vasoconstrictor." Take a look here:
http://allergies.emedtv.com/sudafed/...pregnancy.html

http://www.mindfully.org/Health/2004...ancy2mar04.htm

Again, it's not worth the risk, IMHO. And always always always thoroughly research medicines that are even "OK'd" by your doctor (my doctor said "perfectly safe" before you take them. I was quite upset that I was told drugs that are a category C were okay for me to take--when that category specifically means that "Either studies in animals have revealed adverse effects on the fetus (teratogenic or embryocidal or other) and there are no controlled studies in women, or studies in women and animals are not available. Drugs should be given only if the potential benefit justifies the potential risk to the fetus" ( http://safefetus.com/fda_category.asp )
Old 05-16-2010, 04:16 PM   #10
mommyshanti
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

id rather just blow my nose than take sudafed but thats just me

up your vit. c w/ emergenC its a tasty lil drink and you and babe need extra vit c weather sick or not and it has lots of extra goodies in it too
chamomile tea,peppermint tea nice and soothing and relaxing and drinking hot things vs cold w/ help w/ congestion
just try to get your body healthy medications just mask your symptoms
and try to get lots of rest