Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-16-2010, 10:42 AM   #1
sillyutalktome
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
s/o What furniture do you have for foster kids?

I had always pictured that we would do bunkbeds or a trundle bed to allow the most floor space when we fostered. But after reading the thread about no pack n plays and no bunk beds -

How are your rooms set up for foster care?

If you have other children, do the foster children and your children share a room?

Also, how long did it take you to go through the licensing process?

Sorry for the questions. I have to wait for dh to return to go to an information meeting and I've been watching in here.

Advertisement

Old 05-16-2010, 10:50 AM   #2
jemanly02
Registered Users

Re: s/o What furniture do you have for foster kids?

We are an Army family as well, and just received our license a few days ago. Here in VA, you are allowed to have bunk beds, so we have 1 room with bunk beds, dresser, and toys bin, and another room with a twin bed, crib/toddler bed, and a dresser and small toy bin. We had to take a 9 week class called PRIDE, and then when the class was almost finished, they started the homestudy process which took about a month and a half.
jemanly02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 06:42 PM   #3
pcjs
Registered Users

The same furniture you'd have for your own children but following the guidelines of your state. Some allow bunkbeds, some don't but the worry for smaller kids could fall off/safety. Trundle beds - the bottom bed is not a real bed - the child should not feel like a visitor in the house, same as a pack and play - and that is not a real crib/safety issue (temp. ok).
Old 05-16-2010, 07:57 PM   #4
ashley9742
Registered Users

In my kids' room, I have a captain bed with a trundle, similar to this:

http://www.bunkbedking.com/captains-bed-honey_xl

I also have a crib. My current placements are 3 and 5 y/o sisters. I haven't noticed that sleeping on the trundle makes the 5 y/o feel like she is a guest in the house. To her, it is definitely a real bed. We generally leave the trundle out all the time.

Regarding the time line, my classes were on Saturdays (one 3 hr session in the morning and one in the afternoon), so it only took 5 weeks. My home study was completed concurrently, so after I was finished with classes and submitted my class verification, I was good to go. However, some of my friends who took the classes close to the same time and in the same city as me, did not get their home study done until after their classes. I think it depends on how motivated the person doing your home study is.

Good luck. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions or want to chat.
ashley9742 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 08:03 PM   #5
sillyutalktome
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

^^ I hope you don't feel my question meant I would want something different for a foster child versus another child. I planned on bunk or trundle beds for my all of my children. Part of my question is because I was thinking about investing in different furniture for dd's room and wanted it to work for any future situations.(like that's ever possible unless you have a crystal ball) Bunk beds make me super nervous which is why I was leaning towards a trundle bed until all the kids are older. Two twin beds would fit in her room easily though. We have a twin in there already and will add her toddler bed when she's ready to stop co-sleeping. We have all the bassinet, crib, toddler bed stuff already so no need for a pack n play in our house. Just trying to think long term about furniture in her room. Right now we only have a two bedroom house but hopefully it will be a three bedroom in just a few months. We already have two dressers, etc.

Thanks Jemanlyn02 for telling me how many weeks your classes took. The Texas website just says the number of hours not weeks and I was trying to get a feel for how short or long that might be.

Ashley we were posting at the same time! Thanks for answering my questions. Wow 5 weeks is fast! Love that bed. I kinda like that the trundle part is down low for kids who may not feel they need a security rail but who may toss and turn a bit extra in the night. I kinda want my dd to move from the toddler bed to a trundle b/c I know she is independent but quite the mover sometimes at night.

Last edited by sillyutalktome; 05-16-2010 at 08:06 PM.
sillyutalktome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 10:02 PM   #6
pcjs
Registered Users

I wouldn't get anything until you need to - it really will depend on the ages of the placement you get - you have a mix of everything so in less you are going for an older child, you don't need another twin and you can always run out and buy one or at least a mattress, then the bed. You also may want to move before you do your homestudy - just because then you'll have to redo a lot of the paperwork - not a big deal as we moved, but it depends on the worker. We just had to do a fire inspection again (it was funny as I was trying to get the fireman to convince my husband there was something wrong with our gas stove and we need my new electric now - it didn't work - I do have a new stove but he wanted to wait till we redid the kitchen which was reasonable) and a home visit. Foster care is much more particular though than domestic adoption.
Old 05-16-2010, 10:34 PM   #7
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I have a nursery set up for DFS. His crib is in my room, due to his medical needs, but he has his own room. I would not get anything unless you need to.

We have a local charity that provides beds/cribs/clothing to foster families. You might have a similar organization in your area.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 07:56 PM   #8
jenfostermom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It took us about a month to get licensed and got our first placement 3 weeks later (fast, I know!). We had to show that we had beds for the kids we would be getting licensed for before they would do our license so we rounded up an extra crib and toddler bed since we were planning on kiddos under 3.

Now we have more space than when we first got licensed so our DFS has his own room and DFD is in our room (she's only 3 mos). DDs share a room, and each of our DSs have their own room as well. But before we moved our DSs and DFS at that time shared a room and DDs shared a room - we've moved them around a bit between bedrooms, they definitely don't need their own room or anything.
Old 05-17-2010, 08:08 PM   #9
greek4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We have a twin bed with a trundle, a toddler bed, and a crib that are currently not being used. DS1 is on the bottom bunk of a bunk bed and DS2 is in his crib. We also have a queen bed that we will put in the guest room. Right now our boys have their own rooms since DS2 still wakes up at night or early morning to nurse. Once DS2 is ready for a big boy bed, both boys will share a room and the bunk beds.

We haven't started our classes yet since DH is busy with work right now.
Old 05-21-2010, 08:56 PM   #10
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We had a suggestion from our foster care instructor, who had over 150 foster kids over about 15 years and adopted 10 of them.

Foster kids and bio kids shouldn't share a room. You never know what has been done in terms of molestation on a foster child, and what they will act out on your own child in the night. Our foster care instructor had a 6 year old foster son molest her 7 year old bio son in the night. She had no idea and her son was too afraid to tell her what happened that the foster kid would hurt him more. They had no idea he had been molested when they got him...it all came out later. The same kid also stole beer out of their garage fridge when they weren't looking and convinced her son to try it.

She also suggested that your foster kids always be younger than your bio kids so that if they try to do anything to your bio kids, your kids are the bigger ones. No matter what has happened to your foster kids, you have to first and foremost look out for your own kids.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote