Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-16-2010, 02:18 PM   #1
MommyToNicolas
Registered Users

My Mood:
16 month old - not walking?

hi all i have an almost-16m.o. boy who isnt walking yet. if we hold his hands he can walk but hes still very unsteady, even when we are holding him. is there something we can do to help him? i know sometimes they can be up to 18 months before they walk, but im just trying to help him.

and why do people have to be so judgmental when they find out he doesnt walk yet??

oh and i should note that he was *technically* a "preemie" but only 35 weeks. (a 'late-term' preemie, as the ped said). he hit all his other milestones on time, but then didnt even crawl until after his first birthday. and he crawls with one leg folded underneath him. should i be concerned about that? im such a worry-wart.

Advertisement

Old 05-16-2010, 02:42 PM   #2
MrsLiberty
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: 16 month old - not walking?

What has your doctor said about this? Would an evaluation by a physical therapist be an option for you at this point? I have a friend back home whose daughter was sent to a physical therapist at 13 months because her doctor thought there was a good reason she wasn't walking. The physical therapist was able to do a lot, and she was walking very well within a couple months of beginning physical therapy.

Of course, there's also a great chance there's nothing at all wrong, and he'll walk when he feels like walking. It's not unheard of. Even if that's what it is, I'd probably go ahead and ask the pediatrician just to be on the safe side. I would probably be worried, too, but that's just how I am.
Half redneck, half hippie, Libertarian, Army veteran, Engineer turned SAHM to one little princess (07/29/2003) and one future farmer (12/25/2008), and my little boobie monster (5/28/2011). Official partner in crime to my blue collar Adonis since 2004!

Wanna join Swagbucks?
MrsLiberty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 02:43 PM   #3
TwoDarlings
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Hi! My DD was the same, born at 35 weeks and all. She did start walking at 15 months but I did get the looks "oh she's not walking yet!?" Sorry, it sucks when people are so judgemental, especially other moms!! anyway her ped recommended her to Early On- they help evaluate your child and give you tips on things you can do to help them with devolopmental issues. Maybe you could see if they have one in your area... I ended up not needing them because she started walking a few days after making an appt with them! lol other than that I can only suggest walking with him as much as possible and playing games to try and get him to take steps on his own. That's all I did and I think it just comes down to they will do it when they feel like it! It's common for our premies to be a little behind if he's met other milestones, like my DD, don't worry it will happen mama... GL
M and and mommy to darling #1 L and darling #2 G

Own your own business? Join me on Facebook for tips to optimize your biz!
TwoDarlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 03:12 PM   #4
mommyinthesun
Registered Users
seller
seller

My son didnt walk until 17months(hit every other milestone oober early!) Just let him go at his own pace and it will happen
mommyinthesun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 03:57 PM   #5
HMinshall
Registered Users
seller

Unless there is another reason to be concerned, things are probably fine. My over-baked (41 1/2 week) son didn't walk till 16 months.

If it would set your mind at ease, make a doc appt to discuss it. But, again, he's probably just taking his time!
HMinshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 04:28 PM   #6
BookishMama
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My DS (37 weeker) did not walk until 16 months. By that point he knew more than 40 words and used phrases, so it seemed strange to a lot of people that this very talkative toddler was still crawling. Our pedi said that as long as he was walking by 18 months they were not concerned. If he got to 18 months and was still not walking they would have him evaluated by birth to 3 services.
DS (6), DD (Born 2/15/2010)
BookishMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 04:30 PM   #7
BubMunkeyBles
Registered Users
seller

My DD will be 15 months next week. She can technically walk, but she prefers to crawl still. She was a little slow with everything, she was a 35 weeker too. I get looks, but my doctor keeps telling me she's fine and not to worry so I'll listen to him.
Old 05-16-2010, 04:35 PM   #8
amitchell98
Registered Users
seller

My son (born at 35.5 weeks) didn't walk until 15.5 months. He preferred to crawl. He wasn't a pro at walking until 16 ish months. He crawled around 9ish months on his belly. Never got up off the ground until he was more than a year.

He's 22 months now, and running! He can also talk much better than the other boys his age around here. Not sure why, but we're proud of him!
Old 05-16-2010, 05:28 PM   #9
MommyToNicolas
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BookishMama View Post
My DS (37 weeker) did not walk until 16 months. By that point he knew more than 40 words and used phrases, so it seemed strange to a lot of people that this very talkative toddler was still crawling. Our pedi said that as long as he was walking by 18 months they were not concerned. If he got to 18 months and was still not walking they would have him evaluated by birth to 3 services.
That's funny, Nicolas is very talkative already too!! He has at least 10-15 words. And he's very expressive when he's talking to us.

I suppose he's focusing on being social for now
Old 05-16-2010, 08:20 PM   #10
sjmj
Registered Users

Like PP, talk with your doctor if you are concerned.

My DS1 did not walk until 18 months. He was full term and 10.5 lbs. at birth - and stayed big. One day he took a few steps. The next day, he was RUNNING everywhere....

DS2 is almost 15 months and thinks about walking and tries it out from time to time.

FWIW, DD was walking at 9.5 months and she was small for her age.

Every child is different.
sjmj is offline   Reply With Quote