Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-17-2010, 04:07 PM   #1
PoshPants
Registered
seller

My Mood:
Speech delay, anyone with advice?

nm

Advertisement

Last edited by PoshPants; 01-06-2013 at 10:51 PM.
PoshPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 04:14 PM   #2
sandy_dandy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Speech delay, anyone with advice?

Probably a silly question, but have you had her hearing checked? Has she had any ear infections or ear problems? My old roommate is a speech pathologist, and she said often her young clients' speech troubles are really hearing troubles.

Good luck and hugs.

Hi! I'm Sandy, Rob's wife (7/06) & mommy to Eddie (9/09) and Katelyn (9/12).
Let me convert your bras to nursing bras! WAHM store open now! IHA/ISO
Independent Scentsy Family Consultant - love owning my own business!
sandy_dandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 04:18 PM   #3
PoshPants
Registered
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy_dandy View Post
Probably a silly question, but have you had her hearing checked? Has she had any ear infections or ear problems? My old roommate is a speech pathologist, and she said often her young clients' speech troubles are really hearing troubles.

Good luck and hugs.

she never had any infection to be honest. She hears and understand everything, even very complex directions so they assume her hearing is fine. It was tested as a newborn and fine then too.

And thanks for the hugs! even some basics would make life easier
Old 05-17-2010, 04:22 PM   #4
ktmo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My DDs both didn't talk much until around that age. I had my youngest assessed at around 18 months. She didn't qualify for services. However, the speech therapist gave me a lot of great strategies and really helped me look at how I was talking to her. I think that really helped with how I interacted with her and I think it improved her language skills. That is one of the focuses of early intervention, teaching parents and working with the whole family. (I am not saying you are doing anything "wrong", I am a special education teacher and learned so much as a parent from working with early intervention).
Katie - DD#1 - 5/05 and DD#2 - 4/07
Search and Win with swagbucks
See my Shopping Reviews
ktmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 06:53 PM   #5
nakedbabytoes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My son has been in spec ed since 18 months. He's Autistic. The speech people will show her how to talk with others about stuff. Interacting basically. But it's a gazillion questions and answers. It's hard to explain to "average" people, but like your pedi said expressive conversation. Like they will ask her a question & then tell her "you say blue". What color is it? You say blue. What color is it? You say......
Over & over & over. It's like training a foreign language speaker to speak. Repeat & copy. Interact. As my son got older, it was that he was taught to greet someone with "Hi, my name is Jonah." Then he had to ask their name & two follow up questions. It gets conversation started. Autistic kids(probably NOT yours!) don't understand the give & take of personal conversation. And he still doesn't. But he knows what he is supposed to do.
They will work on talking back & forth. Asking & answering. Labeling. Playing & babbling as they play. Playing what interests others. Give & take in conversation. Asking for help. Telling others what you need. Expressing yourself verbally as well as non verbally.
It's complex.
They shouldn't be paying someone who isn't coming out. That's fraud. I would call the assessment & approval people & tell them what is going on.
Old 05-17-2010, 09:50 PM   #6
PoshPants
Registered
seller

My Mood:

Thanks for replying. We are ringing every day about it, hope they ring back soon!

Any ideas on sensory issues? are there names for it? She has so many odd behaviors. And the stranger anxiety is extreme, today a total meltdown after someone said hello today in a shop
Old 05-18-2010, 06:53 AM   #7
jac1976
Registered Users
seller

You need to keep calling and demand that services begin ASAP, and file a complaint with the state. If you have to, get a lawyer (I have found that usually just threatening to get a lawyer works wonders.) Time is precious when they are this little as therapy works best when started early.

For speech therapy, the therapist will look at several things including how your LO does nor doesn't move her mouth. They found that my DS wasn't moving his mouth a certain way (at 22 months, his expressive language tested out at an 8 month old level.) The therapists gave me a list of things to do with him- get rid of all sippy cups and just have him drink through a straw, have him such milkshakes or drinkable yogurt through a straw, blow bubbles, blow a recorder, etc. All of this was to build up certain muscles in his mouth to help him form the words better. The therapist played games with him and had him repeat words etc in order to play the game. (For example, doing a matching game, having him choose what piece he wants next, red or blue. He started by just repeating "buh" and over the months it changed into blue.)

As for the sensory issues, that's what OT is for. I don't know what kinds of sensory issues your LO has, but my DS is a sensory seeker. He is under responsive to physical stimuli and over responsive to visual stimuli. He needs a lot of deep pressure and heavy work. He goes to OT where they work with him on getting this input in a controlled manner. They have also worked with him to be more aware of how/what he is feeling when he gets overwhelmed. He can now say "There are too many people, I need a break." whereas before he just would have melted down. And this is a boy who didn't say a word until almost 2.5 years old. We also have a sensory diet- activities we need to do with him at home on a daily basis in order to give him the sensations he needs.
Old 05-18-2010, 07:30 AM   #8
nakedbabytoes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Sensory stuff is complex. They first find out what, then the why. Then they work with them to find out how to control or overcome it. Expose expose expose.
Give them words to use instead of going into straight coping mode.
Example:
When my son was visually & environmentally overwhelmed(the scene was too busy, like a table full of Lego blocks), he would clear the table with his hand and then flick them on the floor. This seemed distructive to an outsider.
But to him, it was clearing out the visual so he could then take control.
They worked with him to turn away or tell someone "Too busy!!"
He still gets overwhelmed. He still still has coping behaviors. But he works thru what he feels so he isn't debilitated by it or just avoids it all together.
Sensory is complex, but with therapy & time, they learn to control it.
Old 05-18-2010, 11:48 AM   #9
PoshPants
Registered
seller

My Mood:

nm

Last edited by PoshPants; 01-06-2013 at 10:51 PM.
PoshPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 11:15 PM   #10
Glowbaby247
Banned

My Mood:

oh goodness i pm-ed you. i had the same problem
Glowbaby247 is offline   Reply With Quote