Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-13-2010, 10:08 PM   #1
ZeVvelyn&Visaya'sMama
Registered Users

My Mood:
please help circumsize or not?

hi,
I have a 2yr old that is c.s. and i am about to have another baby soon and wondrer if i should do him aswell?? i know its not great for them, but would it be fair? please give me feedback.

Advertisement

ZeVvelyn&Visaya'sMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 10:13 PM   #2
pcjs
Registered Users

Re: please help circumsize or not?

Its a personal choice - we choose to - I am Jewish and so is my son's birthmom - neither of us practice, but culturally we wanted it. His brother, whom, his birthparents are parenting were cirm. I think you can get 100000 arguments either way. Go with what you want.
Old 05-13-2010, 10:16 PM   #3
sugacube
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm not really for the argument "he is, so he should be as well". My opinion is his body, his choice. I know it is a very personal decision, but if you look at the history of circing in America, and the reasons why, it might open your mind. I strongly feel that children (boy or girl) should be born into the world with a much peace and gentleness as is possible. Most health organization aren't for circumsizing today. My opinion is educate yourself as much as possible before making a decision only you (and daddy) can make. Don't give in to medical pressure(if there is any, lol)
Old 05-13-2010, 10:16 PM   #4
EveryDayIsANewDay
Registered Users
Formerly: Stacey***ke3
seller
seller

I always said I would because I thought that was what was "normal" until I came upon DS and saw the arguments against it. Someone posted a link to a youtube video of a circumcision. I've since decided 100% that I would NEVER circumcise if we have a son....that video had me in tears.
EveryDayIsANewDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 10:21 PM   #5
issybissy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

cs is healthy for a boy as he ages, less chance for infection. the baby wont feel anything when he is young, or if he feels it, he wont remember it. its like saying..."we shouldnt push a baby out of our bodies because its traumatizing for the child, so lets all have c-sections!"
the baby wont recall a painful cs just as much as he wont remember being born. we have a son and have him cs, and we will continue to cs any other male children we have. good luck with your personal decision.
Old 05-13-2010, 10:22 PM   #6
sugacube
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by StaceyBreAndBabyMake3 View Post
I always said I would because I thought that was what was "normal" until I came upon DS and saw the arguments against it. Someone posted a link to a youtube video of a circumcision. I've since decided 100% that I would NEVER circumcise if we have a son....that video had me in tears.
I think in most countries ric isn't normal and rates are decreasing. But yeah, I saw a video too and just felt so, so bad for the little guy. Babies do feel pain, they just can't voice it (besides screaming their heads off).
Old 05-13-2010, 10:22 PM   #7
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

There is no medical reason to do it and it is surgery with real risks. There is no reason you have to just because your older son is. My oldest is, my youngest is not. If I could go back I would have protected my oldest. 80% of the world's male population is intact, and the US is the only country in which boys are routinely circumcised at birth. The number of boys cut at birth is quickly dropping as more people learn that it isn't necessary and as fewer insurance companies cover it. Some parts of the country have higher circumcision rates than others but chances are by the time your kids are teens about half of their peers will be cut and about half won't. In our home it has not been an issue. My boys never seem to notice and they are almost 9 and 4.5 and bathe together.
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 10:27 PM   #8
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybissy View Post
cs is healthy for a boy as he ages, less chance for infection. the baby wont feel anything when he is young, or if he feels it, he wont remember it. its like saying..."we shouldnt push a baby out of our bodies because its traumatizing for the child, so lets all have c-sections!"
the baby wont recall a painful cs just as much as he wont remember being born. we have a son and have him cs, and we will continue to cs any other male children we have. good luck with your personal decision.
This isn't actually true. If the foreskin was actually so problematic boys wouldn't be born with it at all. In fact all male mammals have foreskins, it is there for a reason. The foreskin actually protects the glans and circumcision causes more problems than it prevents. AS for feeling it, there is no proof that babies do not feel pain, in fact quite the opposite. I do not get comparing surgery to remove a portion of a child's genitals for cosmetic reasons (and it is purely cosmetic) to the possible discomfort of being pushed through the birth canal. If nothing else a baby has to be born (and there is no reason to believe that a c-section is any more comfortable for a baby) they do not have to have a functional body part removed.
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 10:27 PM   #9
beesbaby2
Registered Users
seller

Before we knew that DD was going to be a girl, my husband and I disagreed on this issue. He did NOT want to circumcize and I DID want to. He is circ'ed and said that he wished he wasn't. I was surprised because he played a lot of sports, even college football, and I thought he would not want to feel "different." But he went to a high school that had mostly hispanic Catholics, so there were more people NOT circ'ed. I have since come around to see the pros of leaving boys intact, so if we ever have a boy, we will have to discuss it.

I think it is a really tough decision either way. How are we supposed to decide something like that for a baby? How are we to know what they would want later?

If you circ'ed your first son, I would do the same for the second. If they are different, one may wish he were like the other and resent his brother, or you for treating him differently. I know sometimes you learn something and do it differently the next time around, but this is kind of something I would want to do the same for both, just my 2 cents. Unfortunately, the burden is on you to decide!

DD1 10/06, DD2 3/09, and a BOY due 4/4/2012!
beesbaby2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 10:27 PM   #10
sugacube
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybissy View Post
what about birth bonding? or personal choice. I'm sorry but because a baby won't remember it, are you allowed to pinch it? Let it cry for hours? And a baby gets natural endorphins(ie painkillers)when being born naturally. A intact penis is just as healthy as a circ'ed penis, btw.