Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 05-18-2010, 12:08 PM   #1
Registered Users
Formerly: jcha***h
My Mood:
Rejecting the sippy cup? (16 month old)

16 month old DS seems to be starting to reject his sippy cup --

For water, we use Avent sippys with the toddler spout (the green ones with 3 holes in it), with no valve

For milk, we use the Born Free sippys with the yellow spout (the slit), with the valve (these leak without the valve).

He is starting to reject both of them and ask to drink out of our water glasses, which of course is a total mess. We've tried offering him a straw, but he seems confused and just chews on the straw. He likes it when we pipette the water through the straw, but this is just not efficient, and I think he wants to be able to drink on his own anyway.

Any ideas on what I can transition him to that will (a) allow him to drink water without choking, (b) not be terribly messy, and (c) make him happy!

Mama to 2 munchkins, loving wife to P , who supports me in all I do.
Thirsties, Niji cotton, wool wrap, Imse Vimse
SPOTS - new Thirsties and more ISO Jujube, Carters, Gymboree, Zutano girl clothes 18 months
littleleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 12:25 PM   #2
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: Rejecting the sippy cup? (16 month old)

Let him drink the water from a cup. But, maybe have him drink milk from a sports bottle. That way it isn't as messy.

My daycare kids are all on a lidless cup between 18-24 months. I keep them on the counter, and they can get it down themselves.

So, while it's early, it's not impossible. But, it is messy.
escapethevillage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 01:38 PM   #3
Registered Users
Re: Rejecting the sippy cup? (16 month old)

I'd think you can transition to the cup without too much difficulty. My DS didn't end up using a sippy cup for very long. He was about 14 months when we forgot his sippy when we dropped him off at daycare. He ended up using a regular cup all day there, and so we stopped with the sippy cups at home, too. I just fill the cup with only about an inch or two of liquid at a time. He only spilled a few times early on before he got the hang of it. We also try to keep drinks in the kitchen and dining room only, just in case.
isaacsmum is offline   Reply With Quote