Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-17-2010, 11:48 AM   #1
rylan'smomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
My 4 Year old's diet sucks!

I can name only a few things he will eat and I am getting really frustrated. I am sad to say that it is mostly junk too! I have really tried to offer him healthy foods and give him a variety but every once in a while we would indulge and give him chicken nuggets or hot dogs and now he won't eat the other stuff! The things he eats are: chicken nuggets, hot dogs, turkey sandwiches, cheese, yogurt, milk, berries, corn, peas, sometimes carrots, toast, goldfish, sometimes pork tenderloin, pizza, etc.
He used to eat casseroles and spaghetti, hamburger & other kind of beef. He hardly touches any potatoes, won't eat noodles or salad or anything! HELP!
I know I shouldn't cater to him but he won't eat anything else. Then he is hungry. He will go to bed hungry but wakes in the night and wants to eat. I am not going to argue with him at 3:00am so I usually give him bread with pb or a banana. Any ideas? Please tell me I am not the only one!

Advertisement

Old 05-17-2010, 11:52 AM   #2
logansmom15
Registered Users
seller

Re: My 4 Year old's diet sucks!

you are definitely not the only one. i have been having this problem with my 3 1/2 yo. he mostly wants junk now. when he started eating solids up until about 6 months ago he would eat anything, but now i cant get him to eat much. i also feel like he must go to bed hungry because i try not to make separate food for him, but sometimes have to. i hope you will find something that works for your family.
logansmom15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 11:53 AM   #3
UnderTheStars
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yeah, no advice here as I'm in the same situation - you aren't alone!
Old 05-17-2010, 11:56 AM   #4
rylan'smomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks mamas! This drives me absolutely crazy! I just want him to eat what we eat or at least try it...ugh.
Old 05-17-2010, 12:11 PM   #5
UnderTheStars
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rylan'smomma View Post
Thanks mamas! This drives me absolutely crazy! I just want him to eat what we eat or at least try it...ugh.
I can only get DD to try something if I bribe her (usually with another food that she likes - like strawberries or something) I know that definitely isn't the best way to go about it - I try to keep her options as healthy as possible, and I always aim to have at least ONE thing on her plate that I know she has eaten before and liked, but at some point she just needs to realize that dinner is what it is and I'm not a short-order cook.
Old 05-17-2010, 12:18 PM   #6
mommyof2munchkins
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

UGGHH!!! I feel for you! My 3.5 DS is such a horrible eater (and sleeper, but that's a diff thread!) that I'm trying to let him "starve" until he eats what I serve. No veggies, no fruits except for the rare banana once in a blue moon! And nothing I do works so dinner time here is a crying fest. I'll be watching to see if you get any good advice
Old 05-17-2010, 12:40 PM   #7
sugacube
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I've found putting out a little plate of veggy/fruits to snack on def helps! Lol, this is sooo funny (to me) but at dinner, my dd usually eats like a bird, but will eat more if we tell her "for grammy". She'll go, "grammy likes this? me too! I love grammy". Little stinker!
I have also told my dd that the dr says she needs to eat her dinner to grow big and strong and healthy.

I personally would NOT get into the habit of pb&j at 3 am! My dd would do that EVERY night. If she wakes up and says she's hungry, she might get a small glass of milk, then straight back to sleep.

Maybe try being really active before dinner, kick a ball around, race, etc. Even 15 min might help!

But I'm watching to see what others do!
Old 05-18-2010, 09:39 AM   #8
BeccaD777
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My kids have no choice. They either eat what we eat or they go hungry. After a few dyas of being hungry they usually straighten up. I try to fix things I think they will like, but if they don't want it, too bad. I do NOT feed in the middle of the night. They get a snack before bedtime and then that's it til breakfast. OH, they don't get the snack if they don't eat dinner. I will offer them their unfinished dinner plate as snack. If they refuse, that is their choice.

Your son is trying to control you by refusing to eat what you offer. Don't let him. He will NOT starve himself. If he knows that he only has X amount of choices for food, he will eventually choose to eat them. It can also take a few tries of certain foods before they develop a taste for them.

Most of what your DS eats is not that unhealthy. Fruits, veggies, turkey, dairy. Those are all healthy things. If he like chicken nuggets try grilling or baking chicken in bite size portions and call them chicken poppers. Get creative. Cut out the hotdogs and really you are good to go.

Good luck! Stick to your guns and he will broaden his food choices eventually.