Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-18-2010, 09:49 AM   #1
hadfield531
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
22 week u/s showed extra fluid around heart

Has anyone had this and NOT had their baby end up with Down's Syndrome? That's the only thing that keeps coming up when I research it and what other moms have told me so far--but the doctor if NOT give me any details beyond the fluid thing. He's making me wait several weeks to see the cardiologist instead. I'm dying here. I haven't slept since Thursday night.

Advertisement

Old 05-18-2010, 09:58 AM   #2
joshkeri
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: 22 week u/s showed extra fluid around heart

i don't know much about this. sorry your going thru this. but you need try to relax, before you cause more harm to your lo. would down syndrome be that horrible of a thing? i know no-one out there would deliberately choose that route. but if its something that does come out of this you need to decide if this something you can handle. maybe things will turn around w your next us in a few weeks.
joshkeri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 10:09 AM   #3
hadfield531
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

There's a LOT of other stuff going on in our life right now, and to end up with a baby with Down syndrome would be devestating, yes. Right now. I can't even begin to explain how bad our life is sucking at the moment, so getting this news was just unbelievable, really. NOT what we needed right now. I'm devestated because I would absolutely still love that baby, and because I will lovee that baby, every dirty look from every uneducated ignorant person who looks at my baby will crush me. Because every "joke" made about my child (or others, in general, with down syndrome) will likely make me want to mow those people down. After all I've been through the last couple of years, I really don't want to experience those emotions for the rest of my life. And to be completely frank--a year and a half ago, my husband and I almost didn't make it. What we went through would shock you. But we made it. We survived it. And we came back together and prayed specifically that if it was God's will for us to have another child, that it would happen in His time and ONLy if it was in His will for us as a family (we went back and forth and back and forth as to whether or not a 4th baby was for us). Well, we got pregnant, obviously. And we kind of feel like we should be given a "break" now. We have struggled tremendously for the past 7 years, and each year has gotten worse than the one before it. So it's not necessarily the concept of a baby with Down's that's devestating me--it's the entire situation--everything. I can't take any more.
Old 05-18-2010, 11:52 AM   #4
cakeandbubbly
Registered Users

My Mood:

First, the doctor should have given you ALL the info he has about it. But this makes me wonder: ultrasounds are not exact science, right? Maybe he's unsure if there really is excess fluid around the baby's heart and that's why he doesn't want to say too much. This happens all the time. My mom had multiple ultrasounds with my baby bro because they thought he had IUGR. The doc even told her "if this baby weighs more than 5 pounds I'll eat my own hair". That baby weighed 7 pounds 11 ounces! So you see, even if you had gotten good results from that ultrasound you wouldn't be able to take too much comfort in it anyway, because they can be just downright wrong.

Second, you really need to find a way to deal with all this stress. I know it's difficult, but this is not the end of the world. Your child may or may not have downs. You won't know for sure for some time. So the best thing you can do for yourself and for that child is to relax. I know it's easier said than done, I've had to do it and I know you can do it too. You sound spiritual, so the best advice I think I can give you is to take a deep breath, don't rely too much on US results, and just pray.

I wish you and your child the best of health.
cakeandbubbly is offline   Reply With Quote