Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-18-2010, 09:59 AM   #1
waitingforourfirst
Registered Users
seller

What to do with 25lb of veggies *updated with recipes*

I am getting ready to go to a farm where they have 25lb of organic vegetables for $25! I will be able to mix and match everything they have. I spoke with the owner this morning and he said that they don't have many strawberries or blueberries but they do have zucchini, squash, green beans, pickling cucumbers, regular cucumbers, bell peppers, possibly eggplant, and I may be forgetting things.

My mom is going to split some with me but I get the feeling that I am going to wind up with more than half. We are a family of 4. DF is picky and hardly eats veggies. I love them, my dad eats whatever I cook and my brother says he doesn't like certain things but often eats them without knowing, lol. We have no allergies, so I'm pretty open to any ideas.

I need some good vegetable recipes and I know you mamas have got some!

Advertisement

Last edited by waitingforourfirst; 05-19-2010 at 02:33 PM.
waitingforourfirst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 10:21 AM   #2
rebeccalynne15
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: What to do with 25lb of veggies?!

make lasagna or spaghetti sauce and cook the sauce with the veggies in it (grated chopped whatever) and after they get soft use a food processor or blender to make it smooth so the kids don't know the veggies are in it . did that yesterday with my lasagna something about chunks of veggies my kids just won't eat it lol . You could also make zucchini bread(you can use grated zucchini, yellow squash , carrots ,etc.)

also for breakfast I grated part of a zucchini, dice some bell peppers and onions and cook with egg whites

Last edited by rebeccalynne15; 05-18-2010 at 10:38 AM.
rebeccalynne15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 11:56 AM   #3
ashtonsmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeccalynne15 View Post
make lasagna or spaghetti sauce and cook the sauce with the veggies in it (grated chopped whatever) and after they get soft use a food processor or blender to make it smooth so the kids don't know the veggies are in it . did that yesterday with my lasagna something about chunks of veggies my kids just won't eat it lol . You could also make zucchini bread(you can use grated zucchini, yellow squash , carrots ,etc.)

also for breakfast I grated part of a zucchini, dice some bell peppers and onions and cook with egg whites
this is one of my best tricks!!! and so much can go in it!!!! and what a great deal you are getting!!!!!!
Old 05-18-2010, 02:40 PM   #4
waitingforourfirst
Registered Users
seller

We ended up with 35lb of produce, including 5lb of strawberries. I'm excited about the strawberries since I was told there weren't many.

Last edited by waitingforourfirst; 05-18-2010 at 02:42 PM.
Old 05-18-2010, 02:59 PM   #5
Weezy6703
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

that sounds great. I'd cut up and put in the freezer to cook later..save some to use now too
Old 05-18-2010, 03:13 PM   #6
SJwith2girls
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by waitingforourfirst View Post
We ended up with 35lb of produce, including 5lb of strawberries. I'm excited about the strawberries since I was told there weren't many.
Oooh Freezer Jam My kiddos love strawberry jam. I finished the last jar from last year a couple of weeks ago and so far they refuse to eat the store bought one. Still got about a month to go for local strawberries

You could have cut veggies and dip with a few of the veggies. What about fajitas with the bell peppers? Or stuffed peppers?

If you have any veggies your family doesn't like just puree and hide it in sauces or bake cookies with it.

Sarah Jane - DD 03/01 ~ DD 08/04 ~ DD 05/07
SJwith2girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 03:28 PM   #7
Brooke789
Registered Users
seller
seller

If you get zucchini you can make almost anything with zucchini! We always get tons from a coworker who has an abundance in her garden and I've made everything from 'hash browns' to cakes/cookies to tacos with zucchini!

Also, at least around here organic bell peppers are very expensive/hard to come by. I'd get as many of those as you can!!
Brooke789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 03:37 PM   #8
Vie.en.Rose
Registered Users
Formerly: **le3*
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weezy6703 View Post
that sounds great. I'd cut up and put in the freezer to cook later..save some to use now too
Make sure you blanch them first!

Like Swagbucks? Give Gifthulk a try!
Vie.en.Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 01:33 PM   #9
katkat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

What a great deal! If you got plenty of zucchini you can make pancakes. Just grate those into a bowl, squeeze any excess water. Add 1 egg, some flour (enough to make pankake-like dough). You can also grate 1 potato to change flavor a bit. Then put small dollups in a pan and fry like you would pancakes. Srve with sour cream or apple sauce.

For eggplant - cut lengthwise, sprinkle with salt and let sit for 30 mins to get rid of water. Heat the over to 375 and line baking sheet with foil (or grease lightly). Lay sliced eggplants on the baking sheet, spred a very think layer of mayonaise (optional), squeeze garlic through garlic press and sprinkle with shredded cheese. Bake for 10-15 mins until cheese is melted.
katkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 02:35 PM   #10
waitingforourfirst
Registered Users
seller

Re: What to do with 25lb of veggies *updated with recipes*

So far I've made...

Lemon Zucchini Bread with Lemon Glaze
Bread Ingredients

1 1/2 cups shredded zucchini
3/4 cup white sugar
1 egg
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 teaspoons lemon zest

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Grease an 8x4 inch loaf pan.
In a bowl, beat together the zucchini, sugar, egg, and oil, and vanilla In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, salt, baking soda, and baking powder; stir in the cinnamon and lemon zest. Stir the flour mixture into the zucchini mixture just until blended. Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
Bake 45 minutes in the preheated oven, until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove from heat, and cool about 10 minutes.

Glaze
1/4 cup lemon juice (my lemon wasn't very juicy so I used a little less)
1/2 cup sugar

While bread is cooling, heat lemon juice and sugar together on stove top until boiling to melt the sugar. Remove bread from pan and move onto a plate. Pour glaze on top.

and...

Squash and Zucchini Casserole

Ingredients

* 1 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
* 2 tablespoons olive oil
* 1 cup chopped onions
* 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
* 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
* 1 teaspoon minced garlic
* 2 pounds summer squash (about 6 medium), sliced into thin rounds
* 2 pounds zucchini (about 6 medium), sliced into thin rounds
* 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh thyme leaves
* 3 large eggs
* 1/4 cup heavy cream (I used whole milk)
* 1 cup crushed butter crackers
* 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese, optional

Directions

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9 by 13-inch baking dish with 1/2 tablespoon butter.

Heat the olive oil and the remaining 1 tablespoon butter in a medium pot over medium-high heat. Add the onions, salt, and black pepper and cook until the onions are soft, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the squash and zucchini and cook until tender, stirring occasionally, about 20 minutes. Stir in the thyme and remove from the heat. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the vegetables to the prepared baking dish, reserving the cooking liquid.
Combine the eggs and cream in a medium bowl and whisk to blend. Gradually whisk the reserved cooking liquid into the egg mixture. When all the cooking liquid is incorporated, pour the mixture over the vegetables in the baking dish. Using a spoon, gently shift the vegetables around so the egg mixture is evenly distributed. Bake until the mixture sets, about 30 minutes. Remove from oven and sprinkle first with the crackers and then with the Parmesan, if using, and return to the oven. Bake until golden brown, 10 to 15 minutes.

Both were sooo good, I will definitely be making them again!