Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-19-2010, 10:17 PM   #1
samsmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
biting help... please i'm at my wits end

So DS is 15 months old and cutting several of his teeth. it used to be he would chew on EVERYTHING, his cup, the table, me, or anything else that he was able to get into his mouth that didn't get out of the way fast enough. Now, however, he is very purposefully seeking me out to bite. He will act like he is going to kiss me and then bite instead. Or he will blow one raspberry on my arm and then bite the next. After, he laughs about it. I hate to say it but I am absoletly fed up with it. I would just chalk it up to teething but he is ONLY doing it to me. I've tried telling him "No" firmly and moving him about an arm's length away. I've tried telling him that it is very sad to bite mommy because it hurts her. What do I do mamas??? The last two nites he has bit me so hard that blood was drawn, last nite it was my shoulder and tonite it was my lips. Please please please help.

Advertisement

samsmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 10:24 PM   #2
Crew&West
Registered Users
Formerly: Crewsmom
seller

Re: biting help... please i'm at my wits end

ah the biting! We went through this at about the same age with our ODS. Yes it's a phase, yes it stops. I think you just have to do what your comfortable with. For us ODS got time outs.

ETA: I am a firm believe in not hitting your kids, but he did get a bump on the bottom once because he bit his brother who was 1mo old! THAT I was NOT ok with. He hasn't done it since! Was it right.. I probably had juts had it and reacted without thinking, but a sweet "no honey" wasn't going to do the trick with that kid.

Last edited by Crew&West; 05-19-2010 at 10:27 PM.
Crew&West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 10:30 PM   #3
Sapp-5
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

DS may be a little young for this and again you may not be comfortable with it at all, but my 20 month old son went through a purposeful biting stage to the same child every week. We ended up putting a TINY amount of apple cider vinegar on his tongue. It only took 2 times and it was all over. We said "you are doing yucky things with your mouth, so you will get yucky stuff" When I say tiny i mean not even covering the bottom of a medicine cup so maybe 1/4 of tsp??

Good Luck, I know how terribly frustrating this can be.
Christian, Married to my highschool sweetheart since June 10,2000. Homeschooling Momma (we LOVE Simply Charlotte Mason, Queen Homeschool, Horizons & Saxon Math) to DS#1 (8/13/01), DS#2 (4/9/04), Angel Baby (5/18/06), and DS#3 (5/16/07).
Sapp-5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 10:31 PM   #4
mommy2kaitlyn
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

This is sure to get me flamed but hey it worked. My niece was biting everyone bad. I hadn't experienced it yet but was warned. Just in shock like my mom did me I tapped her lightly on the mouth. It was tap and done not repeated or anything. She looked at me in shock. I was shocked I did it to. She was told enough to tell SIL so I told her and she asked niece about it and all she said was what I did and that she won't bite again. Never once did she do it. Younger niece got me at about a year old, 13-15 mos. I had told myself i wouldn't do it again but in a fleeting moment did it again. Never once did she bite anyone again. I stopped to when my mom did it.
I said to them after that I was sorry but we don't bite and it hurts alot. Ofcourse the older one could express she understood. Younger showed by not doing it again.
Never once did it hurt my relationship with them.
BTW older niece was biting and drawing blood to. Infact the bite had one spot that drew blood that I got. I did this more to get them off me.
Not saying you need to do it but it worked. Redirection, explaining it hurt really bad, etc didn't help us.
Old 05-20-2010, 07:53 AM   #5
katieupnorth
Registered Users
seller

Location: near the Starbucks, and the Starbucks, and the Starbucks...
My Mood:

DD went through a biting phase for about 6 months (biting me, DH, and other kids). We gave time outs, told her that teeth are not for biting and that biting hurts, and explained that Mommy and Daddy like hugs and kisses instead. We also read her the "Teeth are Not for Biting" book and she was always requesting it.

I have no idea if any of these things helped or if she just outgrew it on her own (by around 20-21 months). Hugs to you and good luck.