Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-19-2010, 01:45 AM   #1
happyhats
Registered Users
seller

travel vs stand up swings?

I had a stand up swing for dd. She used it so much she wore the sucker out! Now we are having number two and we are a little short on space so I'd like to get a travel/portable swing instead. However I've heard they just don't have as much power and I have never actually seen one in action. If the new baby is like dd and needs the swing for sleeping, etc I want one that will work the best. I'm sure there are some mamas here that have had a travel swing. Did they swing as well as a standard swing? And if not, can anyone recommend a compact (preferably foldable) stand up swing?

Advertisement

happyhats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 04:29 AM   #2
alinatmom
Registered Users
seller

Re: travel vs stand up swings?

If I could have DD1 all over again I would downsize on everything. I have several friends whom used a travel swing as their primary swing and it seems to held up good. I would just read online reviews before buying
alinatmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 04:46 AM   #3
fel4jesus
Registered Users

The best swing I have ever seen is the Fisher Price Linkadoos one from a few years back. I see that at the big kids consignment sales all the time. I know that there are issues with the rainforest one. I had it and was not crazy about it. When the baby gets big enough to sit up, they can lean forward and touch the ground. I have looked at several. Hubby found me one similar to this one used and it was the best.
First of all, this pic is borrowed from ebay. This is actually the aquarium one that looks very similar to the linkadoos one. I know a lot of people aren't crazy about used. You can wash it all so I was not worried about that. I wanted to say that when my mom was battling cancer, that swing was my lifesaver. I could not put the baby down and there was no one to hold her when I had to potty, shower, wash dishes, etc. She was on the small side, but since she wasn't very mobile, we probably used it every day until she was 8 months. Of course she's 3 now and life was hectic so I might be a little off on that.

Last edited by fel4jesus; 05-19-2010 at 04:48 AM.
fel4jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 09:29 AM   #4
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

We had a travel swing with my son when they first came out (7 years ago) and we never had any issues with it.
tallanvor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 09:39 AM   #5
nrsenadenos
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fel4jesus View Post
The best swing I have ever seen is the Fisher Price Linkadoos one from a few years back. I see that at the big kids consignment sales all the time. I know that there are issues with the rainforest one. I had it and was not crazy about it. When the baby gets big enough to sit up, they can lean forward and touch the ground. I have looked at several. Hubby found me one similar to this one used and it was the best.
First of all, this pic is borrowed from ebay. This is actually the aquarium one that looks very similar to the linkadoos one. I know a lot of people aren't crazy about used. You can wash it all so I was not worried about that. I wanted to say that when my mom was battling cancer, that swing was my lifesaver. I could not put the baby down and there was no one to hold her when I had to potty, shower, wash dishes, etc. She was on the small side, but since she wasn't very mobile, we probably used it every day until she was 8 months. Of course she's 3 now and life was hectic so I might be a little off on that.
We have one that looks like the one in the pic, though I'm guessing it's a bit older. We got it used, and it's held up just fine. Plus a lot easier to store. And since it's small we could easily take it from room to room as needed.
And someone NEW coming in October! Plus 2 angels, 8 chickies, 2 ducklings, and a wolfdog.
nrsenadenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 10:25 AM   #6
trying4more
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My son actually prefers the travel swing to the big pricey cadillac of swings that he has!
trying4more is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 10:28 AM   #7
sandykay
Registered Users

My Mood:

I would not use a travel swing unless it had a 5pt harness (which most dont). My nephew was in one when he was about 2 mths old and he was trying to roll, he flopped over and almost got his head caught in the stand and the drop bar. It was soo scary. I would rather go with a stand up anyday.
sandykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 10:54 AM   #8
mcpforever
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

When they first came out I got a travel one for DS1. He hated it. Then his grandmother found a full sixed , traditional (not cradle) swing and he loved it. It is possible that he grew into liking the swing, but it seemed like the big swing had him up so he could see and swang (swung?) him through a larger arc than the travel one did. I took the "evil travel swing" back and just used full sized swings from then on. All 3 of my babies have loved the big swings.
Old 05-19-2010, 12:19 PM   #9
UnderTheStars
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I didn't find the travel swing to have nearly as much "oomph" or power as the stand-up kind. Maybe I just bought a cruddy one?

Anyway, neither of my kids liked the swing so it was a non-issue. I love how much less space the travel ones take up though!
Old 05-19-2010, 02:26 PM   #10
doodah
Registered Users
seller

The travel swings normally have a lower weight limit than standard size and in my experience, do not hold up well once a child is over about 15 lbs. The travel just don't not have the power or speed like a standard does. It really depends on how dependent your baby is on motion in order to sleep. I personally would be a regular swing if at all possible but there are some good travel ones out there. OR you could get a travel swing and start weaning the baby from it once they get close to the weight limit. For most kids it is not that big of a deal. Just start using it at lower and lower speeds and turn it off once they get to sleep. Then they can sleep in it when it is not on at all and eventually, can be moved to another sleep situation.
doodah is offline   Reply With Quote