Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-18-2010, 02:19 PM   #1
joslin
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Did anyone have an easy 3 year old?

My BFF's DD has me terrified of 3 (she's now 4.5 and more difficult than ever) and everything I read on this forum makes me think that the day DS turns 3 will be the beginning of something terrible. I have another friend SAHD who, once his DS turned 3 said "no more kids" and stopped their TTC in it's tracks b/c he did not want to live through another "3" again.

We are planning on TTC and DS will be 3 when the new LO would be here (most likely) and I barely made it through the NB stage with him (ppd & sleep issues), I can't imagine living through that again with a NB and a raging problem of a 3yo.

Can I hear some postive "3" stories?

Advertisement

joslin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 02:35 PM   #2
beesbaby2
Registered Users
seller

Re: Did anyone have an easy 3 year old?

I am not sure if my story would be positive or not, lol. We have some issues with my DD (now 3 1/2), but I think we just got really lucky with the 2's. I didn't think 2 was bad at all, then when she hit 3, she started back talking, arguing, being really whiny and not listening as well. I think it is partly because we have let her get away with too much recently.

But even though we have more issues with her now than at 2, she is still a really good kid compared to others I know. She is very well spoken, doesn't throw fits, shares and is not aggressive at all. A lot of people comment on how well-behaved she is. The main thing with her right now is whining, which drives me nuts. I certainly wouldn't swear off more children or anything.

Are you having problems with your DS now? If you aren't then I doubt he will all of the sudden turn "terrible" at 3! He might need to adjust to the new baby though.

DD1 10/06, DD2 3/09, and a BOY due 4/4/2012!
beesbaby2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 03:16 PM   #3
OrangeBananas
Registered Users
Formerly: Savannah+6
seller
seller

I have been through the 3's twice now, and am currently going through it again with DS3 right now. Honestly each of them handled it differently, DS3 is my most difficut "three" and my other two went through it like it was nothing. Though now that we are at the age of 5 with DS1 I wish we could go back to four
Old 05-18-2010, 05:51 PM   #4
umphreysmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My niece is 3. She is an amazing kid, sometimes back talks but is never a trouble. I am with her everyday and she is kind,sweet, smart and the best babysitter ever! She is so helpful, she is the kind of kid that makes me want to have 10! Not all 3s are bad, her little sister on the other hand is a whole different story!
Old 05-18-2010, 06:31 PM   #5
lovespepper
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Ahh, what can I say.....all the ages/stages have their difficult times and their easy times.....it's all a balance I think. I have gone through this 3 times and am currently going through it with my 3.75 yr old and will go through it one more time when my infant daughter gets there.

I wouldn't be scared, every kid has their own temperament and will get through childhood in their own way. You will get used to it and set up your parenting accordingly, I think. And certainly the way you discipline from the earliest of tantrums will teach your dc how to behave. GL.....children really are the best!
lovespepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 06:48 PM   #6
sunshinejessica
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovespepper View Post
Ahh, what can I say.....all the ages/stages have their difficult times and their easy times.....it's all a balance I think. I have gone through this 3 times and am currently going through it with my 3.75 yr old and will go through it one more time when my infant daughter gets there.

I wouldn't be scared, every kid has their own temperament and will get through childhood in their own way. You will get used to it and set up your parenting accordingly, I think. And certainly the way you discipline from the earliest of tantrums will teach your dc how to behave. GL.....children really are the best!
This.

I have always said that while 3 was worse than 2 for all of my kids who have reached it so far, it's still not worth throwing in the towel for. They have a good balance of cute and affectionate moments that convince me to keep 'em.
sunshinejessica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 10:53 PM   #7
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

I didn't have very many issues at all with either of my older two at 3. The oldest had a few issues, but DH deployed right when she turned 3 and I think the few issues we had (and they were very few) were tied to that. My mom didn't really didn't have any issues with my sister at 3, either.
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 11:40 PM   #8
MrsLiberty
Registered Users

My Mood:

I was one with a horrid 3-year-old, but the positive side of it was that as she approached 4, things improved drastically. It is a phase like anything else, and it really does get better. I think every kid goes through difficult phases (my son is in one right now, and he's only 16 months!) and 3's just a common one. For me, it was short-lived.

The other cool thing about 3 is that if you want to, you can begin sending them to preschool at that age, so even if you have a totally difficult 3-year-old as I did, you can at least get a break a few days a week. I think the whole "Terrible 3" phenomenon is partly due to the fact that kids become so much more capable at that age, and being in preschool or some type of class like that may give them a way to channel some of that energy in a way other than tearing up the house and talking back. Of course every kid will differ, but I do think that there's definitely a method to rolling with the punches when it comes to 3-year-olds, and for many, it may involve more structure and activities outside the home.
Half redneck, half hippie, Libertarian, Army veteran, Engineer turned SAHM to one little princess (07/29/2003) and one future farmer (12/25/2008), and my little boobie monster (5/28/2011). Official partner in crime to my blue collar Adonis since 2004!

Wanna join Swagbucks?
MrsLiberty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 12:05 AM   #9
pepsichic9115
Registered Users

My Mood:

Well I have made it through 3 four times now!! All of my kids were different!! My dd1 was hard--she still is at 11! My dd2 was just busy but she was very well behaved (it was a nice break from her first couple years when she whined and cried all.the.time). Dd3 was GREAT up until 7. Now she's all about drama!! Ds was the easiest 3 year old ever. Could entertain himself, played quietly, listened, and was affectionate and of course super cute!! Now at 4 I'm ready to find a circus to send him off to. Some days I wonder if I'm losing my mind or if he has lost his!! I'm ready for him to move beyond this!!!
Old 05-19-2010, 09:48 AM   #10
Rhianna'sMommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

DD#1 was fine at 3. She is one of those kids that need structure and rules though - she doesn't do well with surprises of any sort and really needs to know what is going to happen ahead of time. She's a very visual child and needs to get a picture in her head of what is going to happen. As long as you prep her for something she's always been fine and easy going. She loves rules and is horrified when her younger sister (2 1/2) breaks the rules. To say the least we're spoiled by dd#1 because dd#2 on the other hand likes to test her boundaries on a regular basis. DD#1 (5 1/2) has only every thrown a couple of temper tantrums in her life and frankly she learned the concept from dd#2 and did it purely to annoy her sister both times.

So yes it is easy to have an easy 3 year old - it all just depends on their personality. DD#2 has been a difficult 2 year old at times (she likes to test us) but is definitely mellowing as she approaches 3 so I'm really not that worried about her turning 3 to be honest. She is following rules better lately and is less prone to tantrums as well.
Rhianna'sMommy is offline   Reply With Quote