Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-18-2010, 09:04 PM   #1
Hands&Fire Pottery
Registered Users
Formerly: hello2000
seller

My Mood:
Negotiations at the playground

Today at the playground, we pulled up in the stroller and three sisters said oh there's our friend about my 21 month old. The three sisters were 6, 7, and 9. They were very nice, but one of the girls was very insistent about trying to hold my daughter, wanted her to ride the slide on her lap (no!), and then asked at least 15 times for me to push her on the swing. It was a little challenging to remain polite and model appropriate responses for my own daughter with all of this assertiveness and attention seeking from this little girl. Basically, I wasn't really comfortable with leaving my very small child to help push another, so this is what I told her, but she really didn't like that much, and with no parent at the park supervising it got kind of challenging I thought. When I tried to move to a different part of the playground, she came right along with us. I have to think about this since it is likely that we will continue to see these girls at the park, and I want to handle the situation as well as I can.

Advertisement

Hands&Fire Pottery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 09:25 PM   #2
nakedbabytoes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Negotiations at the playground

It's a girl thing. They want to mother your little girl. That is SO normal it isn't even funny.
Just be firm & say "No thank you". Don't explain. Don't indulge. Don't coddle. Don't ignore.
"no thank you" and move on.
Believe me, they are just trying to be helpful to urges that they don't understand. Really. It's normal. Usually cute but sometimes annoying.
Old 05-19-2010, 07:03 AM   #3
photomikey
Since there is reason to suspect that this user and CDMama12 are the same person and they have failed to repsond to pm's asking for clarification, both accounts are being banned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakedbabytoes View Post
Don't explain.
You're the boss, applesauce. If you start giving logic and reasoning you're inviting debate. You don't want debate. You want to lay down the law.

Also, with a 6-9 year old, just put on your parent hat. When they ask again, a "what did I say the first time?" and a "why do you think that is?" might curb 1,000 more iterations of the same question.
photomikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 07:39 AM   #4
Geckmumto3
Registered Users

My Mood:

Yup. You don't need to give a reason. A firm, friendly, "No, thanks," "Not safe," or "Not now, honey," is all it takes. Besides, at 6 she should be able to pump herself on the swing, so don't feel too sad for her.
Geckmumto3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 07:43 AM   #5
mcpforever
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakedbabytoes View Post
It's a girl thing. They want to mother your little girl. That is SO normal it isn't even funny.
Just be firm & say "No thank you". Don't explain. Don't indulge. Don't coddle. Don't ignore.
"no thank you" and move on.
Believe me, they are just trying to be helpful to urges that they don't understand. Really. It's normal. Usually cute but sometimes annoying.
This. I am just going to follow you around with a
Old 05-19-2010, 11:46 AM   #6
Hands&Fire Pottery
Registered Users
Formerly: hello2000
seller

My Mood:

Thanks ladies, good ideas... I tried keeping it brief and to the point, but was surprised about the number of requests... to be asked the same question when I have given the same answer so many times was a little surprising. Another mother at the park also commented to me that she was surprised about how assertive this particular child was. As a teacher I worked with this age group for years, but in that role, asking the same question 15 times just wasn't really something that happened, and I could offer limits and discipline. As a parent, the role is a little different, and really I was just trying to offer my child a positive experience at the park.
Hands&Fire Pottery is offline   Reply With Quote