Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-19-2010, 06:59 PM   #1
island-mama
Registered Users

Best Prefolds in Flip Covers? GMD? Econobum?

I have been cloth diapering for about a month now, and this is my problem-I have infant size prefolds that measure 9.5x12.5. I am using them tri-folded in the Flip but I am frustrated that they are too narrow to get a true trifold for absorbency. The sides do not even meet underneath when I have the center folded to a 5" width, which is how I like them to fit in the Flips. Does that make sense? I love using prefolds and covers but want to figure out the best fit. My son is 5m old and 18 lbs. I am thinking of doing the Econobums, has anyone had good luck with those prefolds in the Flip covers? Will they just be too bulky for him? Or if I decide on GMD, which size? The website says that the reds shrink to 16" in length. That seems too long for the Flip. Is their measurement accurate? A mama on here posted pics that showed the red being only 14" long, the same as the Flip Organic. The infant prefolds I am using are from Cotton Babies and they are 2" shorter in width than they claim they will be, so I want to get opinions from actual users on the dimensions. I only want to trifold, and am not interested in flats. I need a solution. I would love to hear what prefolds work best trifolded in your covers, at all ages. I do not want to have to reinvest once we are on the large Flip setting!

Advertisement

island-mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 07:09 PM   #2
hollyhomemaker
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Best Prefolds in Flip Covers? GMD? Econobum?

hollyhomemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 07:54 PM   #3
mrsmccullen07
Registered Users
seller

I use GMD yellow organics (they are slightly wider than the unbleached GMD yellows I have) ... I can measure them for you in the A.M if you want they have been washed alot so they should have shrunk down as much as they are going to

mrsmccullen07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 08:09 PM   #4
Solomon's Mama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I highly recommend the Imagine prefolds from Nicki's Diapers. They are cut shorter and wider so they fill out the Flip covers beautifully. I have mediums and they work perfect trifolded on the small and medium setting. I think they would even work on the large! DS can go all night with just one and no doubler. I LOVE them!
Please visit and LIKE my page to keep up with fun diaper chat and frequent online specials!
Solomon's Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 08:29 PM   #5
lucasmama
Registered Users

My Mood:

I use GMD reds on the largest setting & they fit perfectly. If I were going to use a smaller settings, I'd either need to use yellows or else fold down the rise. I think the Econobum prefold would work also--it's easier to fold in a variety of directions because of the extra scoring--but I haven't tried it myself. If you don't want to buy prefolds a second time, I'd get the reds--they're more absorbent, & at 9 months my guy can soak a yellow edge in 90 minutes.
lucasmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 08:37 PM   #6
island-mama
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solomon's Mama View Post
I highly recommend the Imagine prefolds from Nicki's Diapers. They are cut shorter and wider so they fill out the Flip covers beautifully. I have mediums and they work perfect trifolded on the small and medium setting. I think they would even work on the large! DS can go all night with just one and no doubler. I LOVE them!
I checked out the Nicki's Diapers. The 14.5x15 seem just about perfect. How bulky would you say they are? What is their trifolded thickness in comparison to other prefolds? I just ordered some Econobums to try since they will be about 5.5x12 once they are trifolded the short way, and that seems like it will work for now, but I am not sure 12" will be long enough once we are on the large Flip setting, and I keep reading mixed posts about their bulkiness. Thanks for the recommendation!
Old 05-19-2010, 08:45 PM   #7
island-mama
Registered Users

That is the problem I am having with my infant prefolds. They are drenched in a little over an hour. I am tired of doubling up on them when we go out. I am trying to find something that will last 2.5 hours or so. My son is, admittedly, a heavy wetter, so I may just have to settle for something bulky that does the job!
Old 05-19-2010, 08:46 PM   #8
arly1983
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have 1 dozen reds now and we need the medium setting on the flips. Its doable but a tad too long and annoying to get a good fit. If I turn them sidewise they are the perfect length but that puts all the absorbancy in the middle and I have a boy. My flats I prefold into pads that I just the right length and can continue to use them when we need the largest setting.

I think I am about to size down to yellows, I think, and save the reds for largest setting as I only have 1 dozen flats and do like to use the reds right out of the dryer when I don't have time to fold.
Old 05-19-2010, 08:52 PM   #9
island-mama
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by arly1983 View Post
I have 1 dozen reds now and we need the medium setting on the flips. Its doable but a tad too long and annoying to get a good fit. If I turn them sidewise they are the perfect length but that puts all the absorbancy in the middle and I have a boy. My flats I prefold into pads that I just the right length and can continue to use them when we need the largest setting.

I think I am about to size down to yellows, I think, and save the reds for largest setting as I only have 1 dozen flats and do like to use the reds right out of the dryer when I don't have time to fold.
That is what I am worried about-an "annoying" fit in the Flips from the reds. If it doesn't fit smooth I know I won't use it! But I am afraid that yellow will not absorb enough. I don't know why this seems so difficult! Picking the Flip covers was easy-who'd of thought that the prefold decision would be so frustrating?
Old 05-19-2010, 09:02 PM   #10
issybissy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i use osocozy infant sized prefold on the small and medium settings and they work great or a l.l flat oragami folded the wrap the wings into the center to give more absorbancy where you need it. both work equally well in a flip or gpant cover.