Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-18-2010, 07:54 PM   #1
HenrysMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
When did you start cereal?

My LO is 4 months old and I have been given the OK to start him on rice cereal. However, I'm wary of allergies and am wanting some input from mamas before I start giving it to him. Thanks!

Advertisement

Old 05-18-2010, 07:59 PM   #2
ashleyandbaby2010
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: When did you start cereal?

I am in the same boat. We have allergies in our family, but I know that that is why they tell you to start with rice. Rice allergy is very rare. We gave it to him twice but he is not interested, once without a spoon and once with...I actually made my own rice cereal!
ashleyandbaby2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 08:01 PM   #3
mich*mommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Rice is a good choice!
Old 05-18-2010, 09:05 PM   #4
rosefall
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I didn't start until a little after six months, and barely used cereal. I don't plan to use cereal at all with the next one; rather I'll start with avocado or sweet potato.
Old 05-18-2010, 09:18 PM   #5
MrsWells77
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I never gave cereal. It's not really necessary. Do you or the baby's father have food allergies? Generally (not always, but generally) if mother and father do not have food allergies, baby doesn't usually either. Not fail-proof, but generally.

A baby does not NEED solid food for nutritional value until 12 months of age...and I've known plenty of babies who've been exclusively bf until nearly 15-18 months and were just fine. Solids are only for experimentation until 12 months.

It is best to start solids after 6 months and then cereal is simply a good first food b/c it's a low allergen. However, if there's not really a family history, then it's okay to not do the cereal. It serves no nutritional purpose and just fills their belly. Better first foods are things like: really ripe mashed banana, mashed avocado, cooked and mashed sweet potato. You can mix breastmilk into them to help thin them a little if you need to.

Just my .02.
Old 05-19-2010, 01:04 AM   #6
uoducks
Registered Users

I know technically all the literature says to start solids between 4-6mths..but 4mths just seemed way to early for both my girls. They were just getting into the bf groove. That said, we started my 3yr old daught. on solids around 5.5months old on the baby cereal. Just the gerber rice, then barley , and the oatmeal (to give her a variety). I mixed it with my breastmilk which i had pumped and frozen for just this reason.

I think most Pediatricians will say around 6mths is the time to start solids and this was about right on schedule with my girls.

We had no allergy issues with any baby cereal...they loved it all!

Wife to Dave, proud SAHM to our daughters Reagan, born April 3, 2007 and Karly, born 1/24/09
uoducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 07:20 AM   #7
Mama2B&I
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

The literature you are probably refering to is from the baby food makers. If you are breastfeeding, there is no need for cereal especially at 4 months. If you are worried about allergies then I would really wait until 6-9months. I didn't do cereal, just started later with solids and gave them avacados, bananas, sweet potatoes, etc.
Mama2B&I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 08:00 AM   #8
marlabee
Registered Users

Every major medical organization, from the WHO to the AAP, says to wait until 6 months to start solids (with slightly different recs for formula-fed babies on occasion, though waiting for everyone is ideal). And you can totally skip the cereal, which has no nutritional value (or is fortified with things that your breastmilk already provides/is more easily absorbed by the baby) and just go directly to "real" food.

Also, solids poop is nasty. Wait as long as you can - maybe even toilet train your kid first and THEN start the solids. (I'm kidding! Well...mostly...)
Old 05-19-2010, 08:12 AM   #9
VeganCupcake
Registered Users
seller
seller

We never gave DD cereal. There didn't seem to be any point to it. Her first food was sweet potato slices at about 7 months old. We also didn't do purees. If she couldn't pick it up herself, it didn't get eaten. It's called Baby-Led Weaning and it's great and easy!
Old 05-19-2010, 09:13 AM   #10
CherryPie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We don't really do cereal (barely use half a box) but we always aim to start solids around 6 months.

GetSafeScents.com- New Spring/Summer 2014 catalog is out!
Join Scentsy | Scentsy Closeout Section
Follow me on Instagram: @SarahB00)
CherryPie is offline   Reply With Quote