Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-20-2010, 08:53 AM   #1
goatgeek
Registered Users

My Mood:
Chickenpox??

My ODD came home for the weekend and her step-mom has a bad case of chickenpox..GRRR Her father(vaxed) didn't get them but was very sick with flu-ish type thing.ODD didn't have fever or seem ill but she wouldn't have told me anyway because she knew I was perturbed that they didn't tell me before hand.She stayed in her room mostly..But I have suspicions she was under the weather.She had that look..
SO my question is although she had the shot at age 2 or 3 can she carry it home to my other kids that haven't had the shot ages 3 and 1 month?
Yesterday they were both super cranky and the 3yr old complained of headache & sore throat,today they both woke up not feeling well at all.Baby is sleeping, nursing nonstop and def not feeling well.He's really fussy and has puffy eyes,scratchy cry,sounds slightly congested.3yr old is just laying on the couch,neither have fever.
Thanks for any help..

Advertisement

goatgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 08:57 AM   #2
Fleece Be With You
Registered Users
OperaDiva
seller

Re: Chickenpox??

She definitely could have brought it home, chickenpox is highly contagious. If I'm not mistaken the germs can even live on objects like clothes for a while. Hopefully they don't have it, and if they do I hope they get over it quickly!

What a jerk to not let you know ahead of time, that is so irresponsible of your DD's step mom!
Jessica, wife to L (8-5-05) Breastfeeding, co-sleeping, non-vaxing, CDing, ECing, babywearing Mama to H (9-18-09), my miracle baby! TTC #2!
I make and sell Fleece side-snap ConvertoTrainers! WAHM page Hyenacart Facebook Page
My Ovulation Chart
Fleece Be With You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 09:25 AM   #3
Crew&West
Registered Users
Formerly: Crewsmom
seller

I would think yes she could carry it even though she was vaxed. I'm not a pro, but I think it just makes her immune to it, but she could carry it. I would be mad too that she didn't warn you or tell you. Maybe call her doc and ask?!

With that said I wish you lived closer to me so I could bring my kids over and play with your kids!
Old 05-20-2010, 09:32 AM   #4
MamaWillow
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

The incubation period for the pox is something like 10-20 days, and people are generally contagious only BEFORE they break out with the spots. So it's unlikely that your kids will get it unless your ODD was hanging out over there before the step-mom was sick. And it's also unlikely that they would already be sick from exposure a couple of days ago.

It's possible that there is something else going on, like a cold or virus of some sort and that's what they have.
Rachel, SAHM to a 9yo teenager , a 4yo charmer , and a toddling koala bear , and wife to my hard-working hubs. Mostly AP, co-sleeping (with all 3!), BFing, quite crunchy, thrifty, curly-haired mama. Loving my life.
MamaWillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 09:47 AM   #5
goatgeek
Registered Users

My Mood:

OperaDiva..Thanks Mama
Crew&West..
MamaWillow..Makes sense thankyou
goatgeek is offline   Reply With Quote