Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-21-2010, 06:55 AM   #1
roxierocks
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Vax HELP!!!!

Ok please don't judge me. I already feel like the worst mom ever right now I had my DD vax'd until 1 1/2 and then decided I didn't want to vax anymore. I then had a DS 7 weeks ago and also didn't want to vax him. While in the hospital my gave him the Hep B shot even though I said I did not want it. I also changed the kids ped. and found out after I had that they require you to vax or they wont see you While stupid me thought about it and decided I would go ahead and get them vax'd since DD had already had most of hers and she will be starting school in the fall and I know there would be a fight there (I know stupid me )

While my kids had there shots yesterday and now my DD is in a lot of pain in her legs and can't even walk I have been trying to call the Dr and so far can't get a hold of anyone. She is acting normal other then that and eating well but I am really scared. Is this normal? Is it just painful where the shot is ( they jabbed her pretty hard) Is it the muscle being sore? Do you think she will be ok? She couldn't get up out of bed. She just layed there and waited for me to come get her and now is just sitting in a chair and can't get up. I am really scared it started yesterday but I thought she might just be sore and we would see how she was today but now it seems to be getting worse.

Advertisement

Old 05-21-2010, 06:59 AM   #2
averysmom
Registered Users

Re: Vax HELP!!!!

I'm so sorry, mama!

Have you given her any Tylenol or ibuprofen? It might help her to not be in so much pain. I would continue to call your pedi. They need to be fully aware or her reaction.
Avery Grace 8-17-05 Autumn Rose my HBAC baby 2-9-10 EXPECTING #4 sometime in Sept. 2012 Planning my second homebirth!!
averysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 07:34 AM   #3
roxierocks
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

OK I got a hold of the nurse and she said I could bring her in if I wanted to or to just give her tylenol and a warm bath and see how she is doing. It's not red,swelling or no lines or anything so I just gave her tylenol for now and will get her a bath and see how she is doing. It is so heartbreaking seeing my 2 1/2 year old just sitting there. She is usually all over the place.
Old 05-21-2010, 10:18 AM   #4
beaute_marquee
Registered Users

My Mood:

Not sure exactly what to do, but ((hugs)). You're not a bad mommy. Please report the reaction to both your doctor (who will more than likely deny it is a vaccine reaction, if he's anything like many of his peers) and VAERS. Not sure what the website is for them, maybe someone else knows.
Old 05-21-2010, 12:04 PM   #5
thaisa47
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

This is the VAERS website
http://vaers.hhs.gov/index

What vax did you give her?
Old 05-21-2010, 01:04 PM   #6
roxierocks
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks I did let the nurses know at the Dr office and I will also go to that site and report it. She is doing much better now. I had some family come over and watch her while I went to my Dr appt. and when they got here she wouldn't get up but we made her start to walk a little and the more she walked the better she was doing. She is still walking stiffly though. She had Hep A, PCV-13 and Hib.
Old 05-21-2010, 01:31 PM   #7
TanajaPerry
Registered Users

My Mood:

a shot hurts. period. when i used to get birth control shots in my arms i couldn't move them because it just felt stiff so i can only imagine how she feels. i don't think you are a bad mom for continuing to let your kids get vax'd. to each is own, ya know. people who vax get a bad rep and people who don't vax get a bad rep as well. just do what you think is best for your kids and that's all that matters.

i'm glad your lil one is feeling better, i'm sure in a day or 2 she'll be back to her normal self. and once again.. you're not a bad mom!

new blog. come visit me!
http://mainlybraids.blogspot.com
TanajaPerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 01:35 PM   #8
Lifeisjoy
Registered Users
Formerly: Chatt-townmommy
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxierocks View Post
Thanks I did let the nurses know at the Dr office and I will also go to that site and report it. She is doing much better now. I had some family come over and watch her while I went to my Dr appt. and when they got here she wouldn't get up but we made her start to walk a little and the more she walked the better she was doing. She is still walking stiffly though. She had Hep A, PCV-13 and Hib.
What is a PCV -13? I also have struggled with the whole vax thing, but did get my DS done. He is now 16 mos. I don;t know what PCV13 is? hmmm, I wish I could really know the truth about vaxing..
Lifeisjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 01:47 PM   #9
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I know that muscle soreness and even temporary nerve damage is a semi-common reaction to the tetanus portion of DTaP, however I am not sure about the vaxes you have listed. We quit vaxing before the majority of those were even offered (and my oldest was fully vaxed minus varicella through 18months) HIB was the only one of the three he got. So I am not up on the reaction rates of the others. HIB is generally well tolerated. Any thing injected into the body has the capacity to cause a reaction, especially at the site. I know when I was a kid I did have terrible reactions to my DTP vaccines. I would be unable to move my legs for days after the vaccine. Many children do have injection site reactions, but even those should be reported. Hopefully she will continue to feel better. And don't beat yourself up about it. You can only do what you think is best at the time.

ETA PCV 13 is a rather new vaccine and some offices won't pick it up. Many states don't require it yet. It is a 13valent pneumococcal conjugate vaccine. It replaced PCV7 which wasn't even available when my oldest was a baby. These particular vaccines have been linked with an increase in antibiotic resistant ear infections and super bugs. http://www.modernmedicine.com/modern.../detail/661236 This vaccine has been on the market less than a year by my understanding.

Last edited by iris0110; 05-21-2010 at 01:51 PM.
iris0110 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 02:09 PM   #10
roxierocks
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I just want to say that I don't feel like a bad mom because I vax'd. Lots of moms choose to vax and I don't in anyway think they are bad moms. I also choose that for my DD. I felt like a bad mom for giving in to something that I didn't want and it causing my baby pain My DH had reactions to some vax when he was little so it has always scared me to get my kids vax'd.

Thank you everyone. I feel much better now that she is walking around. She has never had any kind of reaction to any vax. Going in I wasn't worried about anything happening to her. It was my DS that I was worried about. He was fine though. Just a little cranky.