Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-21-2010, 07:03 AM   #1
LnzsOut
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Surprising Things Kids Know/Do

Hi, mamas! What are some things your kids know or have done that surprise you?

Perhaps it's because I don't know what my son should know (he's my first and I haven't been around young children since I've been an adult), but he does stuff that makes me think he's a total genius Just yesterday, I was rinsing off lunch plates and my nearly-1-yr-old son was coughing a little like he had a scratch in his throat. I said, "go get your water", which was on the floor. He looked up at me and around at the water, toddled over to it, picked it up and took a swig. WOW! I was completely shocked that HE KNEW what I said!! Surely this is average for his age, but I was (and still am!) definitely a proud mama.

Advertisement

Old 05-21-2010, 07:08 AM   #2
kannondicarpo
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Surprising Things Kids Know/Do

It is so sweet when they start pickup on things isn't it?

A few weeks ago we were all in the bathroom because Nikolas was getting his hair cut and I was taking pictures. Kate kept grabbing for the camera so I told her, "go into the living room, in your puzzle drawer and get YOUR camera". Off she wandered and returned with her camera. Kevin and I were so impressed. She is 18 months but it was still shocking that she absorbed all of the info that I had given to her.

Nikolas amazes me almost daily with a new word that he uses. The other day he said, "I'm sooooooo tempted to....". I forget how he finished the sentence but it is a phrase that I use often and it was so cute coming from him.

Charlene Keala || 9.27.10, Zakary Michael || 10.25.12 & Baby "Momomi" || October 2014 ~

Loving life on the Big Island!

Last edited by kannondicarpo; 05-21-2010 at 07:09 AM.
kannondicarpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 07:09 AM   #3
isabelsmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have been doing Yogakids with my 4 yr old every day, and my 15 month old just toddles around the room while we do it (crawls through our legs, sometimes on top of us, lol). Well, yesterday afternoon (we do yoga in the morning) we were sitting around and my 15 month old looked at me and my 4 yr old, got our attention and very distinctly went into "Dog Pose". I asked her "Are you doing Dog Pose, Rae?" and she said "Yeh" and got a HUGE smile. Pretty funny, pretty cute, & pretty cool she's picking up on some of this already.
I'm pretty sure your baby and mine are BOTH geniuses. *grin*
Old 05-21-2010, 07:17 AM   #4
revolekim
Registered Users
seller
seller

A few months ago when DS was about 21 months, we knew he could count to three and sometimes to five, but we thought that was all. He and DH were counting something, they got to five, and DS just kept going by himself all the way to ten. DH and I were in shock.

He's nearly 25 months now and can do pretty much everything on the three-year-old milestone checklist. He surprises us every day. We were playing with his shape-sorter, and he picked up the rectangle and said, "A rectangle has four sides, Mommy?" I think he's truly a genius.

Liz , wife to Mike and semi-crunchy mama to 4 little ones: Gehrig the Jedi Knight (04/08), Logan a.k.a. "Pigpen" (06/10), princess pumpkin Katie Rose (10/12), and chipmunk Lexi (06/14)
::::::
revolekim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 07:20 AM   #5
starbuckmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It is pretty cool to see they respond to what we ask of them or say.

When I notice Jonathan is getting tired and is ready for bed, I ask him if he is ready to go night-night. He walks off to his bedroom, and when he comes back he has found his blanket and pacifier He knows exactly what I asked and he is ready!!
starbuckmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 07:22 AM   #6
ecomother
Registered Users
seller
seller

My 1st son had amazing verbal skills as a baby (and still does at 8 years old) and when he would talk in full sentences at 18 months old it was just "him" to me but when he was around other people they would flip out because they weren't expecting a baby to be talking like that, lol!

Now that I've had 2 more children who were normal/semi-late talkers I can see now why people reacted like that when my oldest son spoke. Looking back at videos of him I myself can hardly believe it because my 25 month old daughter doesn't speak that well, but she has other things she does that are amazing, like her drawing skills. She can hold a pencil perfectly and draw faces and circles and she draws for long stretches of time, carrying around her drawing pad all day.

My 4 year old son tells detailed stories each night at bedtime that amaze me and are hilarious. It's funny because instead of me telling the bedtime stories he does it, and he does it 10 times better than I ever could!

Another thing that always amazes me is my kids' ability to recall things, especially things that happened years ago or when they were very young.
Old 05-21-2010, 09:28 AM   #7
doodah
Registered Users
seller

Oh I really believe that most people completely underestimate what young children, even infants pick up on. The human mind is an amazing thing.

Something that really amazes me about my 2.5 year old is her sense of direction. Everywhere we go, she remembers how to get there after going just once. She knows from the highway, which exits take you to the grocery store, church, friends houses. I continually get lost and she reminds me. We pull up to people's driveway and she lists off people who live there. This started when she was probably around 20 months if not younger. She is all about organizing information and loves to tell everything she knows later. We go to the mall and she knows which stores we get certain things from and where the stuff she likes is (play place, etc.). She even knows who drives what car. When we pull up to the church parking lot, she lists off who is there accordingly to the cars in the parking lot. She is very smart in this type of way which is odd to me because she is also super high energy and you wouldn't think she can focus and retain so much so quickly.
doodah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 08:44 PM   #8
LnzsOut
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

This is so awesome! I love "hearing" the fantastic things your kids can do. It really is amazing, and I can't wait to see what else my son does that knocks my socks off Keep 'em coming!
Old 05-21-2010, 09:51 PM   #9
katesmash
Registered Users
seller

My DD is 2 1/2.... the other day she started pointing out all the stop signs and knows that they mean stop. She also tells me when the traffic light turns green and tells me to "GO!" quite a backseat driver I've got.
Old 05-21-2010, 11:01 PM   #10
kjo
Registered Users
Formerly: kjwa***n
seller

My oldest son hit all of his his milestones really early but I didn't realize since I hadn't been around a lot of babies. I try really hard NOT compare the boys and let them each set their own pace b/c my sister and I were and still are compared a lot but it is a struggle. Here is our WOW story:

DS1 was in preschool until I recently had our second boy. When he was about 18 months we didn't realize they were doing sight words at school and I had written a big reminder note that said CAT on the back door b/c I was checking up on my friend's cats while they were away. He pointed to the sign and told DH 'CAT daddy, CAT'!

The other thing that I love now that he is a little older is how he remembers his our friends and family's names. He asks about them all the time, even if he isn't around them very often or has only met them a couple of times. He has so much joy and love for others. I learn so much from him everyday.
kjo is offline   Reply With Quote