Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-21-2010, 11:06 PM   #11
dragondance
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Surprising Things Kids Know/Do

Dd is a science whiz. At 4.5 she can tell you about the fat padding on your heart and how you need good fats, not bad fats, to keep yourself from having a heart attack . Or about volcanos and lava, and microscopes and germs and bugs and cloud types and I could be here all day .

Her sister does things whenever she decides to. So at 2 she decided to learn her letters. And had them all in a week. She doesn't really let me teach her though. She only learns it when *she* wants to. Otherwise she will just pretty much ignore me, it seems . Sometimes she'll come out with something I had no idea she knew, so maybe she's just pretending to ignore me . She can climb ANYTHING. And plug in and turn on and run my sewing machine, aaaaack!

And the cat has learned how to run outside when there are three of us blocking him from the door.

Advertisement

Think you've got the LOWEST rate on your phone/Internet/TV/security? PM me & I will find you at least one lower rate (for FREE) or I'll PP you $5!! Discounts on gas & electric coming soon! I cut my own bills almost in half!
dragondance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 11:49 PM   #12
MrsLiberty
Registered Users

My Mood:

My daughter never blew us away with any verbal skills (she was speech delayed) and doesn't really surprise us with academic knowledge in the typical sense (she has a learning disability), but she's an awesome photographer, and some of the pictures she takes are enviable. She took some amazing pictures of a humming bird today, and has captured the beautiful desert sunsets better than I could ever hope to. She wants to be a nature photographer someday, and I think she may just have a shot at it if she's doing this great as a first grader! She's got a real eye for photography, and it really does surprise me just how great at it she is. Maybe someday I'll post some of her pictures here for everyone to see. I know she would be proud.

My son surprises us with stuff all the time, but it's mostly in how innovative he is. Every time we try to keep him out of something, he finds a way to get to whatever it is. Yes, this is dangerous, but I've got to admire the kid's knack for accomplishing his purpose, and how quickly he gets it done. If football doesn't pan out for him, he certainly has a future in some manner of engineering (but he better go to Georgia Tech like mommy!!)
Half redneck, half hippie, Libertarian, Army veteran, Engineer turned SAHM to one little princess (07/29/2003) and one future farmer (12/25/2008), and my little boobie monster (5/28/2011). Official partner in crime to my blue collar Adonis since 2004!

Wanna join Swagbucks?
MrsLiberty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 11:52 PM   #13
MrsLiberty
Registered Users

My Mood:

Oh, and my daughter is the most knowledgeable kid ever on cloth diapering. LOL She told me yesterday that she wants to make a Youtube video about cloth diapering so everyone can know how to do it. I'm totally in on that project as soon as I figure out how to download videos from my camera to my computer! LOL
Half redneck, half hippie, Libertarian, Army veteran, Engineer turned SAHM to one little princess (07/29/2003) and one future farmer (12/25/2008), and my little boobie monster (5/28/2011). Official partner in crime to my blue collar Adonis since 2004!

Wanna join Swagbucks?
Old 05-21-2010, 11:57 PM   #14
dragondance
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Dd2 is speech delayed too . Another thing she does when SHE wants to .
Think you've got the LOWEST rate on your phone/Internet/TV/security? PM me & I will find you at least one lower rate (for FREE) or I'll PP you $5!! Discounts on gas & electric coming soon! I cut my own bills almost in half!
Old 05-22-2010, 12:10 AM   #15
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

When Kearnan was little he used to sing the alphabet phonetically, and then in french. Too much Baby Einstein. Even after he lost all of his speech, when he began talking again he sang his alphabet phonetically. It blew the therapist away the first time he did it. He has always just known how to work computers. It's like they speak to him in ways the rest of us don't understand. Lately he is memorizing the periodic table of elements, he can tell you everything about germs and volcanoes including the history of Pompeii. He wants to speak to my cousin who is a forensic anthropologist and has been there to study. I really should call her.

Tharen is just a funny guy. He was always more physical and astounded us with his feats of daring. But sometimes he says something that really surprises me. Like I was calling him my little monster and he looked at me and said "Mommy I'm a human." Not a boy, not a person, a human. LOL Then today he was asking me why I was wearing my necklace. I told him it belonged to my grandfather (it is his dog tag from the Korean war) he said "oh so you are going to return it to him when you see him?" I said "no honey, Grandpa died when I was little, just a bit older than you are now." He just looks at me for a bit and says "You wear it so you can remember him." I was just blown away that at his age he could reason something like that out. I don't know if it is normal or not. I am so used to Kearnan who cannot comprehend why people do the things that they do.
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 08:24 AM   #16
Hands&Fire Pottery
Registered Users
Formerly: hello2000
seller

My Mood:

My 21 month old said "I'm sorry" today and I looked at her and she had knocked the spoon with waffle batter onto the floor. I was so surprised that she knew to apologize for that!
Hands&Fire Pottery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 08:27 AM   #17
Heather8183
Registered Users
seller
seller

DD is 14m. We just got a Wii recently. She found a little white remote that went to our old AC...I walked into the living room to see her gesturing wildly with her "Wii remote" and shaking her head and her butt! LOL
ES list IDDDSO Gira Diamonds & Stripes ringsling
Heather8183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 02:32 PM   #18
MrsLiberty
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragondance View Post
Dd2 is speech delayed too . Another thing she does when SHE wants to .
See, that's what I'm saying!! She talks, and she'll catch up. Yes, we've helped her a little (I've got a friend who's a speech pathologist, so that's been a good resource) but mostly, she's just figured it out on her own. She's almost caught up to kids her own age. We're betting by 3rd grade, nobody will be able to tell the difference. She just had to go at her own pace... kind of like with reading. Right now she's reading about a year and a half below grade level, but improving constantly. She's actually ahead in math, though. I know she's a smart kid. I do think that there are some kids in this world who just have to figure things out a little different than others, and it may take longer. They all get where they're going, though. I've got no doubt in that!

Wanna join Swagbucks?
Old 05-22-2010, 03:03 PM   #19
sillymama
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

This past week I had just gotten my 18 month old up and I was changing her diapers while I was telling my 3 year old to stop doing something. I started counting, "ONE," and suddenly my 18 month old says, "tohoo." I was so suprised. Later that day I was counting again, "ONE, TWO," and she says "twee." I guess that shows you that my 3 year old gets told to stop doing things a lot!
sillymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 04:15 PM   #20
dragondance
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsLiberty View Post
See, that's what I'm saying!! She talks, and she'll catch up. Yes, we've helped her a little (I've got a friend who's a speech pathologist, so that's been a good resource) but mostly, she's just figured it out on her own. She's almost caught up to kids her own age. We're betting by 3rd grade, nobody will be able to tell the difference. She just had to go at her own pace... kind of like with reading. Right now she's reading about a year and a half below grade level, but improving constantly. She's actually ahead in math, though. I know she's a smart kid. I do think that there are some kids in this world who just have to figure things out a little different than others, and it may take longer. They all get where they're going, though. I've got no doubt in that!
Yup. Every time they mention bringing in the speech pathologist, she makes another speech jump . It's just really hard to "teach" her anything. She will keep mispronouncing the same word the same way until *she* changes her mind, lol. She will do it when she darn well pleases . Like with her letters. We read to her all. the. time. and have letters on the fridge, tons and tons of fun letter learning games, alphabet song, etc, etc. And did not learn one single letter. Not one. Then she decided *she* wanted to learn her letters, and had them all in two weeks. Goober. So I kind of have to wait until she decides to learn something. I can't "teach" her if she hasn't decided it's on her agenda for the day.